0w20 or 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dart calls for 0w20 last oil change I ran some 5w40 valvoline . I haven't noticed a difference good bad or indifferent. Will I reduce wear with the thicker oil ? Is 0w20 just for cafe reasons? I legitimately want the littlest wear possible and want the car to last 200,000 plus. All thoughts and opinions are appreciated. I thought I'd try 5w40 see if I noticed a change and nothing... Exactly the same .

There really is no way to know for sure. There is no one size fits all viscosity. Most engines can run on anything from a 0w20 to a 15w50 technically. I would go for a 5w30.

You'll find most 20 grades have a HT/HS of 2.6-2.75; Most 5w30's are around 3.0-3.1.

I havnt done the research but I'm guessing CAFE and Warranty aside the 1.4T called for an A3 5W40 and the 2.4L an A5 5W30 originally. If that's the case M1 0W40 - 1.4T and M1 5W30 - 2.4L or equivalent are likely close matches.

Of course if you have warranty you need to stick to what's in the US manual.

Last edited:
If the turbo model of your same car specs 5W40,I'd just stick with that,even though yours is an n/a.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
My dart calls for 0w20 last oil change I ran some 5w40 valvoline . I haven't noticed a difference good bad or indifferent. Will I reduce wear with the thicker oil ? Is 0w20 just for cafe reasons? I legitimately want the littlest wear possible and want the car to last 200,000 plus. All thoughts and opinions are appreciated. I thought I'd try 5w40 see if I noticed a change and nothing... Exactly the same .

That's fine and dandy, but I'd like to point to your record of car ownership as evidenced here on BITOG.

I'll paypal you or your charity of choice a $100 if you run it over 200k without selling or trading it in. (better save a link to this thread)

I think Vegas has the over/under at 80k miles, actually.

What were you expecting to notice that would tell you if you made a good or bad choice? How could you possibly tell?

Originally Posted By: surfstar

That's fine and dandy, but I'd like to point to your record of car ownership as evidenced here on BITOG.

I'll paypal you or your charity of choice a $100 if you run it over 200k without selling or trading it in. (better save a link to this thread)

He didn't say he was going to own it when it hit 200K!

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
He didn't say he was going to own it when it hit 200K!

You're right - maybe he wants it to last to 200k for the next person.

200k on a 20 weight oil! Impossible!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar

Can I ?

My wife's 2000 E430 is almost 190k miles, it will be over 200k miles in about a year.

I have documents to prove that I am the original owner, bought it new in 2000.

PS My record is bad, my former 1994 LS400 had more than 380k miles on odometer.

Just having some fun here.

Last edited:

Why don't you do the exact same thing for your car that you did for your mom's car?

95,000 mile Ford Focus under valve cover

PYB 5W20 every 5k miles.
Pictures of the top end were spotless.

Do you not think that this same oil won't be as good for the Dodge as it is for your mom's car?

BC.

Not sure what you mean by that? I've owned my truck for 3yrs now and my now ex wife has had the or cruiser for about 3 years. I've owned the dart almost a year now...... I bought it brand new the only car I got rid of quickly was that terrible 14 focus lemon I had .

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

Why don't you do the exact same thing for your car that you did for your mom's car?

95,000 mile Ford Focus under valve cover

PYB 5W20 every 5k miles.
Pictures of the top end were spotless.

Do you not think that this same oil won't be as good for the Dodge as it is for your mom's car?

BC.

She never ran anything consistently long enough to be certain and those focuses are always clean. They are good about that. She ran synthetic for a long time and then switched to pyb for the last couple oil changes. Honestly I'd love to see some engine pics like under valve covers ect with Dino oil and at what interval. That would be awesome!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back