Dodge Ram low on diff fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my other post about brakes and the whole drum area being very greasy, I determined the diff seal is bad on that side as diff is way low on gear oil.

So I need to get the passenger seal replaced. How big a job for a shop? At 205K miles do the other side even if dry?

Amsoil SVG and limited slip additive are $75 so do not want to waste that if the other seal may fail any day.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Amsoil SVG and limited slip additive are $75 so do not want to waste that if the other seal may fail any day.

I think you might have answered your own question. I'd change both. With 205K miles it might fail sooner rather than later.

Its not a terribly difficult job, but the mindset of most shops these days is "parts swap," not "fix." So things like seal changes are, IMO, getting cost prohibitive unless you do them yourself.

I forget, is this the Cummins 2500 in your .sig? If so, then figure a few more $$ for this kind of repair just because its a big honkin Dana truck axle ('99 pre-dates the switch to American Axle, IIRC) and not the easy-to-work-on medium-duty corporate 9-1/4 you'd find in a 1500. Honestly, if you're getting ready to sell, I'd top the fluid up, disclose the slow leak, and let the new owner decide whether it's worth tackling or not. Axle seals aren't things that usually fail suddenly- they start weeping and the leak just grows until it eventually (maybe, maybe not) becomes a problem. If they fail suddenly, its usually because a bearing is also failing allowing the axle to move around in the seal more than it should.

I start tomorrow on a new IT job and this time I cannot work from home (yet). So I have to drive an hour to Springfield. My wife seems to not want to give up driving the Subaru (she has a Hyundai her daughter is driving).

So for now one of the pickups will become my daily driver. Not excited to put a ton of miles on the 2015 F250.

I bet the 2WD truck would get good mileage on the commute. Keep the 4WD truck for winter commuting if needed.

Which rear axle is it?

I start tomorrow on a new IT job and this time I cannot work from home (yet). So I have to drive an hour to Springfield. My wife seems to not want to give up driving the Subaru (she has a Hyundai her daughter is driving).

So for now one of the pickups will become my daily driver. Not excited to put a ton of miles on the 2015 F250.
Once the 99 Ram is sold, maybe pick up a cheapy econo-box for commuting, like eljefino does.

If the Ram was a manual, I'd consider buying it!

I think these full floating axles, you just have to take the bearing off - but the carrier doesn't have to come out which is nice.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Once the 99 Ram is sold, maybe pick up a cheapy econo-box for commuting, like eljefino does.

The goal was to have less vehicles to maintain and insure. That's why I got the Subaru.

If you peel back the onion all the way the issue is daughters (25 & 26) still living at home and just starting to drive.

The goal was to have less vehicles to maintain and insure. That's why I got the Subaru.

If you peel back the onion all the way the issue is daughters (25 & 26) still living at home and just starting to drive.
Isn't 25 & 26 a little old to be starting to learn to drive?

It's a generational thing I think. I'm 25 and got my permit at 15, but I know many people around my age who weren't all that interested in driving. Even my younger sister had to be coaxed into getting her license at 17 so my parents didn't have to drive her to work.

They went to college in NYC and did not need to drive. And no interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back