Ford’s Crown Jewel, the F-150, Has a Big Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Maybe they just need to relax emissions regulations a bit on work trucks, or at least give work trucks a bit of delay. By work truck, I mean trucks with carpet and radio delete, vinyl seats, and so forth, trucks that people won't be using as their version of a tall, four wheel drive Town Car.

A Carpet Tax. Has a nice ring to it.

Austerity is just around the corner.

They should take weight from the front axle, not from the rear. Aleviating the rear you get rodeo riding and lower traction when you takeoff curving at climbs and worst stability...

Last edited:
My brother still drives his 90 something Silverado 4x4. His first after a 1/2 century of 2wds. There is no profit in a base model truck. The profit is in the accessories. Like when you buy kitchen cabinets. He's retired now but he was chief cook and bottle washer for hard rock civil engineering / construction outfits in MA and VT . His work truck was usually a 3/4 ton base model pick up with a 6" vise welded on the rear bumper The traditional pick up was a tradesman's and not allowed at the porte cochere. My '47 GMC was a very spartan vehicle. More like a tractor than a modern car. Floor covering? passenger's side wiper? heater, radio PS/PB ? AC ?
crackmeup2.gif

One of the Rat's good features is lack of interior gadgets. 5 spd my first manual in 30 yrs. cloth seats, crank windows and no AC. Less stuff to die from lack of use. It reminded me of the early 50s pickups I had as a kid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
My F-150 has no carpet and has vinyl seats, and no options at all, and it hasn't been oppressive. It's a truck, after all.

I have the vinyl mats, but had to have cloth seats and power windows, locks, mirrors, etc. I also have a drop in bedliner. No big engine, 4WD I don't need, etc. I don't think it's oppressive either. BTW Ford vs. GM beds just require a $60 bed mat from Agri-Supply to prevent that problem.

I have liked trucks the size of the original S10, or even the size of the Toyota HiLux. My S10 with carb got 27 highway, and a modern 4 cy would do better. For the way most use them would be much better.

Of course you have to overcome the mines bigger mindset.

Rod

To S12's point - my Canyon came with a bedliner - but it was too slick to retain cargo.
Put some 3/4" rubber horsemat in from TSC 4 years ago - can't hurt the stuff ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back