Quick UOA question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im doing a change today on a car id like to get a UOA done on, but dont have a kit. Is it sufficient to capture the oil in a clean container of some sort? Then transfer to the kit later or will that mess with results?

Thanks

Hi,

No problem as long as the quantity is sufficient, avoid contamination as much as possible, and maybe inform the laboratory as a preventive measure for some odd insoluble count, maybe ?

Awesome guys thanks. Would a full (totally dry) water be enough?

This one snuck up on me as its my sisters car, shes due for a change, and only has time today.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Awesome guys thanks. Would a full (totally dry) water be enough?

This one snuck up on me as its my sisters car, shes due for a change, and only has time today.

Yes, an oil sample bottle holds 3-4 ounces so a water bottle will be more than enough. I try to collect extra anyway in case an important sample were to get lost in the mail...I can send off another. It has happened a few times in the last twenty years.

Any clean, dry glass bottle of 200ml plus will be OK. Don't seal it with selotape cos the Blackstone lot don't like it. Electrical or duct tape.
Make sure to warm the engine up fully before pulling the plug and getting a mid stream sample.

I realize it costs a little more to do a VOA (New OIL) analysis but unless you do so, you will have no basis of comparison for future trending.

A one time UOA snapshot is virtually useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back