Is the spin-on filter's days numbered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CR94
jongies3 said:
Does any new European car use a spin-on filter?

VW/Audi still use them on the 2.0TSI/TFSI engines, I just installed a Mann filter on a Vanagon and the application did list a newer A3/Jetta.

Originally Posted By: Branson304

It's just one more way that car manufacturers are making it harder for you to work on your own vehicle.

Have you ever changed a canister filter? It is just as easy or easier than the traditional steel can. It saves waste in landfills and no oil running down your arm. I hardly think this style of oil filter is making it harder to work on your own car.

I like the cartridge style filters too. Much less of a mess changing the filter and I can get my Ecotec filter out with a big socket I already have (forgot the size, though). I find it helpful to write the socket size, oil filter number, drain plug socket size, extension sizes if needed in Sharpie on the core support for easy reference. This also helped me sell a used car as the buyer was looking under the hood and saw that I was anal about maintenance LOL.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
It's just one more way that car manufacturers are making it harder for you to work on your own vehicle.
Have you ever changed a canister filter? It is just as easy or easier than the traditional steel can. It saves waste in landfills and no oil running down your arm. I hardly think this style of oil filter is making it harder to work on your own car.
In a way it does, especially in the case of the Hyundai Azera I used to own--You had to buy a special cap wrench to open the filter housing, which at the time was about $45. In some ways, cartridge filters seek to be a solution in search of a problem.

Small cars of all brands are moving away from spin-on filters, small engines, limited engine bay space requires them to pack tiny filters into tiny spaces!

For me I'll stick with cars that take spin-on filters so I can put FilterMags on the steel filter housing plus extra bar magnets, it's keeping the oil cleaner longer and know I'll drive the same car for yrs to come!

Maybe the spin on will start coming back, I bet a lot of shops and dealers don't like the extra care involved with a cartridge. To me it is also more spilled oil on the ground by DIYers. The o rings are a lot of extra care, and people generally don't want to be careful. They want it over with.

I agree 100%; a canister filter mounted where it can be accessed from under the hood is dead easy to change.

Try to change the oil filter in a Mini Copper and get back to me about how much you love cartridge filters.
wink.gif

I have no problem with them. One in my Benz is nice and simple. One in my GS350 is a bit of a pain, and more messy than a spin-on filter.

Why put either style in a landfill instead of recycling at Walmart TLE, O'Reilly's, or a HHW day?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4111767/Re:_Is_the_spin-on_filter's_da#Post4111767

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Try to change the oil filter in a Mini Copper and get back to me about how much you love cartridge filters.
wink.gif

I have no problem with them. One in my Benz is nice and simple. One in my GS350 is a bit of a pain, and more messy than a spin-on filter.

Cartridge filter is easy to change if it is designed correctly, like most filters on top of the Benz engines. With the correct cap wrench, a cartridge filter can be changed without many drops on the engine or on garage floor.

Spin on filters and cartridge will go back and forth. I hate Toyota cartridge filters with a passion. With the correct AST tools, they come off easy. With the cheap junk shops buy to save a dime, the filters become a pain and thew tools get stuck to the caps. That's more of a tool problem than a filter problem, however I can get a spin on off with a cheap tool.

Cartridge-style oil filter setup...

PRO's:
- Automaker can control almost all of the filter performance. Only function of the filter is the media.
- Filter cost can be cheeeeeap
- Seen some automakers patent the filter design to only fit the OEM housing, so they can up-charge the entire market and make more profits ("pro" for the filter & car makers)
- Cleaner oil changes
- Easier oil changes

CON's:
- The R&D, tooling, and component cost of the aluminum/plastic cartridge-type housing likely far exceeds the low-tech aluminum oil filter mount. Thus the automaker passes along the cost to the buyer in the sticker price.
- With a cartridge, you're stuck with the same center support and bypass valve in the housing. Whereas with a spin-on you get a new housing, bypass valve, gasket, etc every time.
- Up-charge on a patent filter design comes right out of your wallet
- In my opinion, the cartridge filter is more likely to be some made-in-china garbage.
- If you lose/break the cap on your housing, you're screwed.

I hate them, you need special tools most of the time, the jobber filters are usually china made even the middle tiers like wix are china, plus theyre twice more expensive than a canister filter, the housing are plastic which means it can flex under pressure or break, theres just so many added pieces to go wrong. I will give them this...they can leave little to no mess.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on my 144k mile ti and 187k mile X3; I just know those cartridge housings are self-destructing and trashing my motors simultaneously.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Yeah, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on my 144k mile ti and 187k mile X3; I just know those cartridge housings are self-destructing and trashing my motors simultaneously.
crackmeup2.gif

That's going to be very expensive when they do go
cry.gif

I did some work on a friends 2010 Prius, including an oil change and his filter cap is still in great shape. He joined the 200K mile club in January.

Originally Posted By: funflyer

That's going to be very expensive when they do go
cry.gif

I did some work on a friends 2010 Prius, including an oil change and his filter cap is still in great shape. He joined the 200K mile club in January.

The plastic cap costs a whopping $33 for either car. The housings themselves are aluminum, I can't see them failing. Still, guess I better open a HELOC...
shocked2.gif

I'm fairly certain that Honda doesn't sell a car or truck in the USA without a spin on filter. Also, I think the same is true for Nissan.

As for what pickup trucks use, the 3.6 gasoline engine and 3.0 diesel engine in Ram trucks use cartridge filters. Also, the diesel in the Chevy Colorado takes a cartridge filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back