Oil change interval 2003 Dodge Durango RT 5.9L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Recently got a 2003 Dodge Durango RT 5.9L with 90,000 and it's job is a dedicated tow car.

Just changed to Pennzoil's premium Platinum 10w 30 (per manual). Owners manual recommends 6,000 or 6 months. What do you recommend? Maybe 8,000 or 1 year oil change intervals. Not sure how hard the 5.9L is on oil. Appreciate any input.

Thanks to all again.

I don't think it's hard on oil. If you weren't towing with it I'd go 10k miles/1 year intervals. But with the towing backing it down 20% to 8k miles seems logical. If towing with lots of heat and stop and go driving I might back it all the way down to 5k miles.

Drain and fills with the atf would also be a priority.

Thanks Seth...it won't be doing any towing. It will be flat towed behind a motorhome. I apologize for the confusion. Appreciate the input.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Hello all,

Recently got a 2003 Dodge Durango RT 5.9L with 90,000 and it's job is a dedicated tow car.

Just changed to Pennzoil's premium Platinum 10w 30 (per manual). Owners manual recommends 6,000 or 6 months. What do you recommend? Maybe 8,000 or 1 year oil change intervals. Not sure how hard the 5.9L is on oil. Appreciate any input.

Thanks to all again.

Towing is not classed as severe service for an engine, BUT it can be tough on the tranny, so I would change the box fluid twice as often as normal.
2 years is fine for a modern full synthetic as a time limit and if you like doing 2 for 1 (2 oil changes per oil filter) lube jobs, 5K and 10K miles should be OK if you use a top of the range extended life oil filter. I would use a Mobil one if possible, but check the OCI outside the US, as the OEM oil filter might be good for 10k miles.

Severe service is defined by Mobil as off-roading (In a hot dry desert), lots of short tripping or too much time stuck in traffic. Blackstone Lab did a UOA study of heavy towing and it made no difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back