Shirley Schwartz passes away at 81

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Affectionately known as "Sister Sludge" within the industry, Shirley was the author of the GM Oil Life Monitor.

Shirley started her academic career as a language major and became fluent in 5 languages: French, German, Spanish, Swedish, and Japanese.

Later, she studied biochemistry at Wayne State University earning her Masters and PhD, and then worked for GM.

In sports, she excelled in swimming, diving, table tennis, and volleyball.

She became famous in the industry for researching the degradation of engine oils and its causes, which lead eventually to the GM OLM.

Shirley held 20 patents and authored more than 173 published papers.

So we remember a great researcher in our industry and remember with fondness our "Sister Sludge."

Last edited:
She sounds like a pretty amazing lady, Mola. I did some reading and it seems she also did a lot to encourage non-traditional types to get into science and mathematics, particularly women.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Man, all that and an EXTREMELY COOL nickname. Did you know her? Kira

I only met her once in Chicago at an STLE seminar she gave on Engine Oil Degradation.

She had a great sense of humor and loved pulling pranks on other "presenters" that she would introduce.

I have read many of her papers, and her research led many chemists to improve anti-oxidants for lubricants.

condolences to friends and family.

reading shirley's obituary tell's me she was an extraordinary person even though i did not know her,

Originally Posted By: DWC28
I too knew Shirley and will miss her. Her column "Love Letter" was always insightful.

Yes for sure, "The Love Letters to the Lubrication Engineers" was a great column, was funny, and she pulled no punches when it came to presenting facts and voicing her Opinions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
She sounds like a pretty amazing lady, Mola. I did some reading and it seems she also did a lot to encourage non-traditional types to get into science and mathematics, particularly women.

She helped many women get into Tribology, Mechanical Engineering, and organic chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back