How often do you detail and what do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weekly - Exterior wash & interior dusting with microfiber towel. Vacuum if needed.

Monthly - Exterior gets a coat of Mothers instant detailer. Interior gets detailed with Meguiar's quick detailer. Protects & cleans without the greasy look inside. Floor mats hosed off, windows cleaned. Chrome polished with Neverdull. Tires scrubbed with Bleach white.

6 Months - Full exterior detail. Coat of Turtle Cleaner wax & coat of Turtle wax Super hard shell. Use Meguairs scratchx 2.0 for minor imperfections before hand.

What do you use?

My recipes and scheduling are quite similar.
I tend to mix and match the various chemicals and techniques with the shifting sands of time.

I'm largely loyal to the Meguiar's lineup as Barry Meguiar is a neighbor.
And they've excellent hands-on detailing workshops at their Irvine HQ.

I've had exactly one black vehicle during ~40 years of ownership experiences.
Yours look excellent, sir!

Mostly meg and mother's products here...

When I get a new car, will get some upgraded products. I tend to detail them every few weeks with 4-6 month full details..

Weekly - None

Monthly - California Duster

Quarterly - Wash and dry

6 Months - Wash and Eagle wax as you dry and 303 for vinyl top and clean interior. Vacuum if needed

MuzzleFlash40, just ask if you want a picture of my product line. It is extensive and enclosed- so if you are sincere I can snap a quick shot or I can unload my cabinets and get you a cared for photo.

I would be careful doing weekly washes. I 'think' too much can dull (or cloud) the paint....especially the hood. Plus we dont want you being over worked!
smile.gif

Nice products, mostly. I gave away my Black Magic, bleche wite, rainx, and other similar OTC products lately. I am pretty much set now.

Make sure your technique is solid. Use good cloths, towels, rags, and mits. Dont bare down more than needed(?).

I like you go over the counter. I dont understand these guys going mail order. Its like parts. AAP is down the street and has alternators. Why call some warehouse n another state? And while we are at it, why not just get it rebuilt. Im on a local binge.

But do understand those like The Critic who are professionals and leave a show car finish which shows no imperfections (not even cobwebs under a hot summer sun in the reflection). Those guys you got to watch for, hehe!

Originally Posted By: splinter
My recipes and scheduling are quite similar.
I tend to mix and match the various chemicals and techniques with the shifting sands of time.

I'm largely loyal to the Meguiar's lineup as Barry Meguiar is a neighbor.
And they've excellent hands-on detailing workshops at their Irvine HQ.

I've had exactly one black vehicle during ~40 years of ownership experiences.
Yours look excellent, sir!

Is Meguiar's still a Netherlands company?

I sometimes visit a new drive thru. It is great. I courted it a few month and toured it and used their vending machine products. It isnt touch free but I felt good about it. I think they use Turtle Wax pro/commercial chemicals. It does really well. I have been there twice this year.

I will spot clean.....aka, clean a window, vacuum or wipe down the dash area as needed from time to time.

I recently did the interior windows with E1 Mint flavor glass cleaner and a glass microfiber. The next morning I washed with Zip Wax and waxed pretty much the whole car with Ice. The door panels I used spray wax and I tried to take my time. I kind of miss the days of being a complete animal and doing a wash/wax, wheel/tire, glass in/out, vacuum carpet/seats, armor all the dash ALL in an afternoon.

Now it is kind of like I still do quality care but it isnt weekly like it used to be.

Btw, I clean much more than I used to and is usual. Wheel wells, rocker panels, door jambs, backs of wheels (; ) Merk), under the hood, the trunk, the bed of trucks, center caps (inner and outer ). I have many, many chemicals and am pretty good at most things. I am not on The Critic's level of having a cherry finish and all I can do with carpet is vacuum.

Again,

Nice Hemi! Love the tires and wheels. Those are like the only trucks I like with four doors. I dont like 2500s or Fords, Chevrolets, Nissans, besides a few duallies that are ok.

Wash about once a month. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant every 5 months or so. Clay once a year with Clay Magic (the only decent clay I've found). Sometimes I run over it with Pinnacle Souveran midway to a re-seal. Usually I do a paint correction myself every 2ish years with 105/205, maybe a little 2000 sanding here or there after touch ups, then hit with the buffer.

I'm starting to experiment with paint coatings.

No real schedule, too busy but generally when I do have time I like to do the following.

Interior:
-vacuum
-wipe with Meguiars M40
-windows with Invisible Glass
-Floor mats and other heavy soiling with Meguiars APC

Typical wash:
-Meguiars Gold Class shampoo
-ONR 1/2oz in wash water
-Meguiars D156 spray wax applied while drying
-Wheels with shampoo water if not too bad. Otherwise Meg's APC 4:1 ratio.

Wax:
-Clay bar with Nanoskin sponge
-Highly variable. Lately been using Griots One-Step Sealant but also a big fan of Meg's UPW and BFWD.

Windshield:
-Scrub with Glass Scrub
-Clay bar
-RainX

Headlights:
IF they need polished, Blue Magic headlight polish on a cordless drill buffer pad
-Blue Magic Lens Sealer -OR- Coat of wax

Chrome:
I've used a number of different but BY FAR prefer Megs Hot Wheels chrome polish.

Engine Bay:
Simple Green
Fluid Film wipe down

Nice looking rides! All of my vehicles usually get a wash once a month with a paste wax every 6 months. I use Turtle Wax Ice products most of the time, everything from the wash formula to the spray & paste waxes. I use Turtle Wax Ice spray wax usually every other wash to maintain the wax coating. I usually end up clay barring them once a year or so, usually after winter.

Interior; I just clean it when it needs it. I usually use Meguiar's products on the interior. I regularly use a duster on the dash & doors in between cleanings.

Speaking of it all, my F-150 needs a detailing in & out. As soon as the thunderstorms quit, I'll get on it.

I wash when the vehicle looks like it needs to be washed. I try to wax about 4 times a year, sometimes more. During the late fall is when I try and layer 2 coats within a month hoping to get from November to April w/o waxing again.

My main details are done spring and fall.

Exterior:I use a Buuny-K foam gun w/ Meg's car wash, Nanoskin to clean paint and glass, polish using a Aratari (local auto retailer)polish/glaze, then either Meg's PP 365 or Collinite 845.
Tires and wheels scrubbed and dressed.
Interior: cleaned and vacuumed, Stoner's on the glass, Armour All on the dash and other surfaces.

Inbetween I do wash as needed or roughly once a month.
My truck is a major project, my wife's CRV is so much easier to do.

Winter: I go to either a wand based car wash or to Classy Car Wash, where there's an arm that travels around the vehicle to spray wash and dry w/o any actual contact.

That sounds like a pretty good regimen using good products!

I wash my cars when they're "dirty" and give them a pretty thorough wash and detail. I wash the wheel wells and inside the wheels, and underside under the trunk. Wax front area and mirrors with Meguiars NEXT. Clean all windows with "Invisible Glass" and vacuum if needed. I use the huge blue waffle towels for drying. Sometimes I apply Lexol Vinylex to the tires if needed. Twice a year at least I wax the whole car with Meguiars NEXT.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I try and wax each non leased vehicle once a year. Who has time for weekly detailing?

If you wash each dish as you use it they never pile up.

But, I don't know, maybe some of these guys go mudding every Friday night and spend Saturday cleaning. Even then, there are undercarriage washes available!

I started off the Focus ('14 ST) and the Canyon ('15 SLT) with Meguiars Ultimate Polish, applied with a Porter Cable and Lake Country Orange pad. Moved on to Ultimate Wax applied with a red pad. Each gets a bath on Saturdays, if it has rained during the week, using Meguiars Gold Class. While still wet, I spray on a 50/50 mix of Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax and Meguiars Quick Detailer, and dry with microfiber towels.

I wax them both every 6 months.

The color on the Focus looks brilliant, the shine on that Ingot Silver has never been particularly deep. The Canyon sports a deep, wet shine that I love. They both shed water like they're allergic.

The interiors are cleaned with a damp microfiber towel. I use Lexol on the seats in the Canyon, once every couple of months.
IngotST233_zps2jmw5cmn.jpg

20160313_164502_zpswtkbkoai.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back