cheap burglar alarm 1994 Dakota v-6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:
my DD is a 1994 Dakota 2wd v-6 at, dead a/c standard bed PU /shell. Not the best vehicle but even old ones get stolen. I bought @ 200K now have 220k. Engine original, also tranny. BUT HAVE CHANGED 4 shocks, front springs, 4 moog ball joints, radiator, w/p, fan clutch, all hoses, hose clamps, t/stat, rad overflow, h/fan resistors, h/l switch, rotors, calipers, pads, drums, wheel cylinders, catalyst, shoes, HELLA H-4s, battery, 235/75 tires, pcv valve, plugs, wires, coil,tie rod ends, sway bar links, inst. panel bulbs, serpentine belt, idler pulleys, most brake lines, fluids, side window vents, etc. really hate to see it stolen after all that. steering column lock is it. something cheap an easy to discourage theft? Thoughts?

Hmm..is this for real?! Not sure what crime is like where you live for you to worry about someone stealing a 22 year old pickup.

Older cars are targets due to the lack of factory security measures like chipped keys. Someone on here just had their 90's Sebring stolen.

OP - Have you considered something simple like a club?

He spent 4x the value of the truck on replacement parts, but insurance only pays blue book so he needs a security system.

I'd look into a simple kill switch spliced into the fuel pump power wire.

I'd use the club steering lock. No electronics tinkered with and aftermarket alarms are pretty easy to bypass unless you spend a small fortune in having a stealth install.

Originally Posted By: maximus
He spent 4x the value of the truck on replacement parts, but insurance only pays blue book so he needs a security system.

I'd look into a simple kill switch spliced into the fuel pump power wire.

Yep, this is what I'd go with too. Thieves won't hang around trying to figure out why it won't start, they'll bail. Just make sure the switch isn't at all obvious.

The bad guys will tow or flat-bed a target car/truck, if the are pros. A buddy of mine had a 1998 Audi stolen that way. Once recovered it was obvious they yanked the car up on a flat-bed truck..the underbody sheet metal was torn where they used hooks and chains.

The "Club" is a joke. All you gotta do is cut the through the steering wheel with a hacksaw, bend the steering wheel leaving a gap to slide the Club out.

try this , put a switch in line for your fuel pump power supply
my buddy did that in ohio and the clowns tried once to steal his truck , just killed the battery trying to start it

The value is 1. it is a pick up, performing the same duty as a $40k silverado, 2. it is wheels to get me around, vs. Enterprise or taxi cost, 3. it probably is relatively easy to steal, compared to newer vehicle, 4. sometimes people steal old vehicles to get parts for their own car, 5. I have liability only, meaning total loss to me if stolen, 6. people need old parts because their old car needs parts, or is totaled with no insurance, thus needing MY car, and I have more parts changed when I have a friend that needs money, and it makes my vehicle valuable because reliable. A working, reliable car (and esp. truck) is always worth a minimum amount if it normally reliable. Failure to replace parts until they break makes it UNreliable, and thus worthless.

Make a kill switch that shorts your fuel pump so it blows its fuse. Even if the thief is a "mechanic" he'll say, derp, this stupid truck keeps blowing fuses.

You could also wire it up to your high beams or horn-- the load might pop the fuel pump fuse, and you might even be alerted.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The "Club" is a joke. All you gotta do is cut the through the steering wheel with a hacksaw, bend the steering wheel leaving a gap to slide the Club out.

True, but most car thieves aren't carrying a hacksaw. The problem with a kill switch is they've already caused extensive damage before they figure out it won't start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back