Vibration cause

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 Altima SL. Original owner. Always maintained well.
Stock tires were Primacy and around 45k we started feeling a slight vibration that could be felt not only in the wheel but in the seats and the remainder of the car. Rotated tires, no change. Brought to the dealer and an independent mechanic, both whom we trust.

Alignment was fine at independent shop and said its the tires.
Rebalanced at both locations.
Felt same with winter tires.
Front end checked ok by both
While at dealership they soaked my wife for alignment and of course it was fine.

We replaced with CS5 Ultra. Still the same.

I believe I read once that Nissan shocks might only last 40-60k.
Could that be it? Hate to replace all four as a guess.
No leaking, no noises and no handling issues.
Doesn't change with speed per say, wife says it actually comes and goes and happens on any road service.

Might be a front wheel bearing. My sister in law had a Altima rental and it would shake on the highway esp going up hills. This was last year with Hertz. So the car wasn't that old and maybe had around 30k miles on it.

Have you had a road force balance to see what the rim run out is? The Hunter road force can check tire & wheel run out & match them if they're out of round to lower vibration.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Have you had a road force balance to see what the rim run out is? The Hunter road force can check tire & wheel run out & match them if they're out of round to lower vibration.

No. Wouldn't it have changed with the different tires? That's three sets of tires and still the same.

Regarding bearing, my truck had one and you could tell due to noise.
His makes no noise. Maybe early stages?

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
2012 Altima SL. Original owner. Always maintained well.
Stock tires were Primacy and around 45k we started feeling a slight vibration that could be felt not only in the wheel but in the seats and the remainder of the car. Rotated tires, no change. Brought to the dealer and an independent mechanic, both whom we trust.

Alignment was fine at independent shop and said its the tires.
Rebalanced at both locations.
Felt same with winter tires.
Front end checked ok by both
While at dealership they soaked my wife for alignment and of course it was fine.

We replaced with CS5 Ultra. Still the same.

I believe I read once that Nissan shocks might only last 40-60k.
Could that be it? Hate to replace all four as a guess.
No leaking, no noises and no handling issues.
Doesn't change with speed per say, wife says it actually comes and goes and happens on any road service.

Sounds like a classic case of the infamous Nissan CVT shudder/judder mostly found in the Altima line. Google it for details.

I rented a 2015 Altima 1.5 yrs ago that had a slight but noticeable CVT vibration at highway speeds under certain conditions and lower cruising RPMs. This was a higher frequency vibration than a tire/wheel would be.

Bad news. I heard that the labor to replace the CVT is extensive. They have to take the entire front of the vehicle apart, and of course then put it back together. The grand total for labor and parts to replace the CVT on an Altima is something like $8,000

If it is still under warranty, the dealer may be trying to put it off.

Last edited:
I am familiar with the CVT vibration as I have a fleet car, 2014

This is totally different and stumping me.

If you have a bent wheel, the different sets of tires would still have a vibration. The machine can compensate the high spot of the tire to the low spot of the wheel to minimize vibrations, if that's your problem.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
If you have a bent wheel, the different sets of tires would still have a vibration. The machine can compensate the high spot of the tire to the low spot of the wheel to minimize vibrations, if that's your problem.

Thx will check with th mechanic again.

Looks like he (Rickys tires in Rome 13440) has the straight trak.
Is that ok?
http://www.hunter.com/gsp9700

Last edited:
I'm guessing since you have an SL that you have alloy and not steel wheels. (bent rim?) if you rotate the tires, does it change the dynamic at all?

Just some of my experience here man... I have the original shocks on my 2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 @ 145k miles. No issues with them. Rides very well with no concerns.

I just thought about this.. I replaced my factory ties at 67k miles... they were Turanza tires and they weren't good at all. I had Goodyear Assurance comfortread. They were WAY better than the original tires.

I agree with mehullica it is very likely a bent wheel. But a new set of tires plus fixing your wheels= much improved ride quality and no vibration.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I'm guessing since you have an SL that you have alloy and not steel wheels. (bent rim?) if you rotate the tires, does it change the dynamic at all?

Correct, alloy.
No it doesn't change it.
Maybe I need to drive her car for a week.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I just thought about this.. I replaced my factory ties at 67k miles... they were Turanza tires and they weren't good at all. I had Goodyear Assurance comfortread. They were WAY better than the original tires.

I agree with mehullica it is very likely a bent wheel. But a new set of tires plus fixing your wheels= much improved ride quality and no vibration.

Alloys and third set of tires.

Dag on man... how many miles on the car?? I feel bad for you. I hope it's not a CVT transmission issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back