PYB vs MC vs Magnatec vs PP Ford 5.4 3v 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2010 F150 Supercrew 5.4 3v with 54,000 miles. It has had 5,000 dealership changes every 5k since new with MC 5w20. If you had to choose between PYB, MC, Magnatec, or PP which one would you choose? The filter will be MC Fl=820S. If I ran the PP I'd run it out to at least 7500k, all others 5K changes.

7 quarts of the following oils and their cost.
PYB= $24.95
MC= $25.83
Magnatec= $27.84
PP= $35.41

Edited to add that I'll be towing a 2500lb trailer several times a week.

Last edited:
For me it would be PP. I know it would be $10 or so more than the other choices but that's pocket change compared to the total cost of ownership.

I would go magnatec and think about running it to 6k or 7500. I might run a UOA to show it works well in your application to 7500, but under most cases, I would have no issues running it to 7500.

I'm amazed how much quieter my 2016 Escape runs on Magnatec over the original Motorcraft Semi-Syn...and I'm getting 5 qt jugs for $16 shipped to my door!

So that'd be my choice, plus the 5w-20 is Group III instead of the Group II/III blend of the 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
I'm amazed how much quieter my 2016 Escape runs on Magnatec over the original Motorcraft Semi-Syn...and I'm getting 5 qt jugs for $16 shipped to my door!

So that'd be my choice, plus the 5w-20 is Group III instead of the Group II/III blend of the 5w-30.

I've seriously considered Magnatec but I've already seen BP pull it from the US market the first time it was introduced. Where are you getting it for $16 shipped?

stick with 5w20 weight and well known brand and MC FL820s , I use cheap 5w20 havoline or QUGB or mobil 5000 with MC FL820S , still making phaser noise, but no problem 200K+ miles, no problem.

Regardless what peoples talking about MC/purolator tear since the begining, I still using all MC on my ford, Just 2 day ago, I change my oil on my 2010 MC oil & Filter , I dont think I ever gonna stop using MC oil filter on my ford engine. Unless dealer stop using them. If ford dealer still using MC on daily with countless customer cars, then I have confident on keep on using MC oil filter.
2uo4b9l.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

I've seriously considered Magnatec but I've already seen BP pull it from the US market the first time it was introduced. Where are you getting it for $16 shipped?

Correction, I WAS getting it for $16 shipped from Amazon with a subscription...looks like they jacked up the price so I'll be looking at something else.

I came back ! I bet there wouldn't be ny kind of actual difference between the oils. The syn oil may be better for sub 25*f starting along with a high quality battery.

I came back ! I bet there wouldn't be ny kind of actual difference between the oils. Even less with different oil filters unless one failed. The syn oil may be better for sub 25*f starting along with a high quality battery. An air filter and sealed intake plumbing is more important than any oil filter that doesn't fail

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'd go Magnatec 10W-30. No anorexic CAFE oil in my Ford Truck.

These trucks do best with 5w20 in my experience.
Your 10w30 mag cost more than the 5w20 and takes you from fs to a semi syn. A poor choice.

Any reason not to run a 0W-20? I run M1 AFE 0W-20 in my 5.4 3v. Is that a mistake?

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope
Any reason not to run a 0W-20? I run M1 AFE 0W-20 in my 5.4 3v. Is that a mistake?
Nope, not a mistake at all. I ran it for up to 17K with a FRAM Ultra. If I were the OP, I would be looking at a 0/5W-20 synthetic and running it for 15K. Search out my UOAs on a 2010 FX4 with a 5.4L. I UOA'ed every OC and even with 45% of the miles towing 8-9K, the UOAs were fine.

I highly recommend Pennzoil Platinum.

I run it in the 2012 F-250 at the same interval you're thinking of. It sees mostly highway with probably 25% towing & the OLM trips at 7K-8K. Pennzoil Platinum is the best oil available IMO, but the others are great also.

I would never run 5w20 with towing. My wife just took our Ford (FX2) with the 5.4 to Pennsylvania with a 14' trailer. Running Mobil 0w40. Truck runs much quieter than with 5w20. Gas mileage was excellent. Around 16 mpg. I am happy. I ll never go back to 5w20. 10w30 would be the thinnest. Try it and see what you like, anybody can follow a manual.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back