5.9 Cummins Rarely Driven Oil Change Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 99 Ram 3500 with the 5.9 Cummins that we use to haul horses around. The horse hauling has slowed down considerably, to a point where we're only driving the truck 1000-2000 miles per year. Most of the time, I just drive it back and forth to work (5 miles one way) once a week or so to keep the batteries charged up.

I changed the oil last year around this time, but was wondering if there was a reason I shouldn't extend it longer, say 18 months instead of every 12 months. Not sure if it matters, but I'm using Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40 with a Fleetguard Stratapore filter.

Thanks in advance.

How long are the drives when it is taken out? if they are always drives up to temp, my vote goes with 18 month oil changes. Maybe longer.

I prefer the 1 year rule for low mileage drivers. Many times a simple oil change lets you see something that is a small problem now that could get worse and more costly later. So unless you are doing oil analysis I would play it safe and do yearly.

If you don't get near the OCI, 2 years is OK. The newer OLM system are being set to 2 years for less than max OCI, or the equivalent stop starts or fuel use.

With any engine subject to minimal use, try and run the engine at least every month. No real need to drive it, just idle for 5 mins.
The main risk is corroded injector tips, with ring seat corrosion only an issue if the engine is not run for much longer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
How long are the drives when it is taken out? if they are always drives up to temp, my vote goes with 18 month oil changes. Maybe longer.

90% of the trips it gets up to operating temperature, at least according to the coolant temperature. I'm not sure how that relates to the oil temperature.

Every two years will be fine assuming you get the engine up to operating temp when you do run it.
If you have the milky goo under your oil fill cap, you aren't getting the engine hot enough.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
If you don't get near the OCI, 2 years is OK. The newer OLM system are being set to 2 years for less than max OCI, or the equivalent stop starts or fuel use.

With any engine subject to minimal use, try and run the engine at least every month. No real need to drive it, just idle for 5 mins.
The main risk is corroded injector tips, with ring seat corrosion only an issue if the engine is not run for much longer.

Idle on cold cylinder walls is bad practice. Get it up to temp for a 1/2 hour at least to boil off some of the cold start/short trip by-products. If you get the engine fully warmed once a month, you can go a long time between changes. 2 years would be minimum for me in that scenario
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back