Shell or Castrol... what's in the BMW bottle now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Whenever this topic comes up, I'm always amazed by how easily people assume the OE oil and the off-the-shelf product are the same in the first place.

If there were a statement from the company that the two oils were the same, or if a LOT of very expensive VOAs came out demonstrating identical characteristics and properties between the two, then I'd feel like there was something to it.

Just sharing a manufacturer, a grade, and an approval is... interesting maybe, but far from enough evidence to assume they're the same. If that's all we've got to go on, I'd just assume they were different oils until there was a reason to think otherwise.

Of course, if they both have the approval you need, any difference probably doesn't matter for your application. So there's that.

I don't think it would be farfetched to think BMW/Shell oil could reach our store shelves as Pennzoil.

Currently, you see Viper Pennzoil, Ferrari Pennzoil, GM Dexos Pennzoil, etc., etc.

It's not intuitive to have a major car manufacturer specify a 5W-30 LL-01 oil fleet wide and have absolutely no 5W-30 LL-01 Pennzoil, or for that matter, Castrol, on the shelf in US stores.

With its keen interest in the do-it-yourself market, Pennzoil should jump at the opportunity.

In the meantime, everyone will be using Castrol 0W-30, 0W-40, or the Pennzoil 5W-40 that is LL-01. Close, but no cigar for sticklers that want the 5W-30 that is the first recommendation in the owner's manual.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
In the meantime, everyone will be using Castrol 0W-30, 0W-40, or the Pennzoil 5W-40 that is LL-01. Close, but no cigar for sticklers that want the 5W-30 that is the first recommendation in the owner's manual.

This is why I am considering just going with the new Twin Power Turbo 5W-30. I'm hesitant to put in 5W-40 in my fiances N16 mini cooper. It's either that or Ultra Platinum 5W-30, which has no euro certs at all, but some great UOAs.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

This is why I am considering just going with the new Twin Power Turbo 5W-30. I'm hesitant to put in 5W-40 in my fiances N16 mini cooper. It's either that or Ultra Platinum 5W-30, which has no euro certs at all, but some great UOAs.

I wouldn't hesitate on using Castrol 0W-40 LL-01 in your Mini.

That's my choice in the two BMW's I own that recommend 5W-30 first in the owner's manual.

But they were both started on BMW/Castrol at the dealer when new.

The BMW labeled Shell is still not a bad buy around $8 from more consumer friendly BMW dealers.

I wouldn't hesitate on using Castrol 0W-40 LL-01 in your Mini.

That's my choice in the two BMW's I own that recommend 5W-30 first in the owner's manual.

But they were both started on BMW/Castrol at the dealer when new.

The BMW labeled Shell is still not a bad buy around $8 from more consumer friendly BMW dealers.

I know the Castrol is great oil, I would just prefer to stay with 5W-30. If it was my car I wouldn't mind putting something "out of spec" in it, but since it's my fiancé's car, last thing I need is for something to go wrong and for her to blame me for putting in the "wrong" oil lol. Also, I'm a firm believer in GTL. It's superior on paper and seems to offer great UOAs.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Whenever this topic comes up, I'm always amazed by how easily people assume the OE oil and the off-the-shelf product are the same in the first place.

If there were a statement from the company that the two oils were the same, or if a LOT of very expensive VOAs came out demonstrating identical characteristics and properties between the two, then I'd feel like there was something to it.

Just sharing a manufacturer, a grade, and an approval is... interesting maybe, but far from enough evidence to assume they're the same. If that's all we've got to go on, I'd just assume they were different oils until there was a reason to think otherwise.

Of course, if they both have the approval you need, any difference probably doesn't matter for your application. So there's that.

I don't think it would be farfetched to think BMW/Shell oil could reach our store shelves as Pennzoil.

Currently, you see Viper Pennzoil, Ferrari Pennzoil, GM Dexos Pennzoil, etc., etc.

It's not intuitive to have a major car manufacturer specify a 5W-30 LL-01 oil fleet wide and have absolutely no 5W-30 LL-01 Pennzoil, or for that matter, Castrol, on the shelf in US stores.

With its keen interest in the do-it-yourself market, Pennzoil should jump at the opportunity.

Of course it's intuitive and doesn't seem farfetched. That doesn't mean there are grounds to assume it's true.

I know the Castrol is great oil, I would just prefer to stay with 5W-30. If it was my car I wouldn't mind putting something "out of spec" in it, but since it's my fiancé's car, last thing I need is for something to go wrong and for her to blame me for putting in the "wrong" oil lol. Also, I'm a firm believer in GTL. It's superior on paper and seems to offer great UOAs.

Do you not have Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-30 down there? We supposedly can get it up here, and it is LL-01. The sheet is recent, from just this February. Castrol also has a 5w-30 A3/B4 LL-01 in Canada, for interest's sake, but haven't heard about it making its way down there yet.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Do you not have Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-30 down there? We supposedly can get it up here, and it is LL-01. The sheet is recent, from just this February. Castrol also has a 5w-30 A3/B4 LL-01 in Canada, for interest's sake, but haven't heard about it making its way down there yet.

Unfortunately, we do not. I received an email from a Pennzoil employee stating all the U.S. market will be receiving is 55 gallon drums of 5W-30. I think this is because BMW doesn't want the same product (as Twin Power Turbo) sold under a different brand (Pennzoil). I also think this is why the 0W-40 does not have LL-01 certification. I would assume it can pass (it's Porsche A40 certified, among others), but BMW doesn't want competition with its 0W-40 "M" line of oil.

That's really unfortunate. While its availability up here isn't exactly stellar, at least it seems I could track down an EcoBox of the stuff if I were so inclined. Has the Castrol Edge 5w-30 A3/B4 filtered down to the States yet?

I can understand your caution, but if it were me, I'd simply grab whatever LL-01 I could, particularly since not that long ago, Canada was in the same position with no 5w-30 A3/B4 of any sort that I could spot outside of a dealer. Neither Pennzoil nor the OEM are making it easy by being obstinate with what they mention in the manual and what they sell.

This is one of Shell's biggest weaknesses, and it can't be blamed simply on BMW not wanting too much competition for dealer oil on retail shelves. Finding any Shell A3/B4 lubricant in a sensible container size at a sensible price on an ordinary retail shelf is just about impossible. While I can get M1 0w-40 fairly readily, not to mention at least four varieties of Castrol A3/B4 all on the same shelf, in even mom and pop stores, I can only think of two places that can get me any Pennzoil A3/B4 options (outside of dealers), and then only in EcoBoxes, with one being NAPA Canada with limited choices, and another a local supplier I know, with better selection but poorer pricing.

That's really unfortunate. While its availability up here isn't exactly stellar, at least it seems I could track down an EcoBox of the stuff if I were so inclined. Has the Castrol Edge 5w-30 A3/B4 filtered down to the States yet?

I can understand your caution, but if it were me, I'd simply grab whatever LL-01 I could, particularly since not that long ago, Canada was in the same position with no 5w-30 A3/B4 of any sort that I could spot outside of a dealer. Neither Pennzoil nor the OEM are making it easy by being obstinate with what they mention in the manual and what they sell.

This is one of Shell's biggest weaknesses, and it can't be blamed simply on BMW not wanting too much competition for dealer oil on retail shelves. Finding any Shell A3/B4 lubricant in a sensible container size at a sensible price on an ordinary retail shelf is just about impossible. While I can get M1 0w-40 fairly readily, not to mention at least four varieties of Castrol A3/B4 all on the same shelf, in even mom and pop stores, I can only think of two places that can get me any Pennzoil A3/B4 options (outside of dealers), and then only in EcoBoxes, with one being NAPA Canada with limited choices, and another a local supplier I know, with better selection but poorer pricing.

Yeah it is unfortunate, but luckily the BMW Twin Power Turbo oil is easy to come by here. I am certain they are very similar products, and there are a few weights to choose from which is nice. I may opt for 5W-30 during the summer and 0W-30 during the winter for her Mini (N16 engine).

I'm not sure why Shell can't get an A3/B4 readily available on the shelf in North America. Even in our worst days up here, at least GC 0w-30 and M1 0w-40 were available in quart bottles, with the occasional jug of Castrol 5w-40 A3/B4. Now it's far better.

An EcoBox of Shell's 5w-30 A3/B4 LL-01 in the States would probably be a good compromise. It would be a reasonable size for shops, and given European sump sizes, wouldn't exactly be unfeasible for DIYers. It would make it difficult for people to "bring their own oil" to the BMW dealership, at least, which is, I'm sure, what Shell and BMW want to accomplish.

I'm not sure why Shell can't get an A3/B4 readily available on the shelf in North America. Even in our worst days up here, at least GC 0w-30 and M1 0w-40 were available in quart bottles, with the occasional jug of Castrol 5w-40 A3/B4. Now it's far better.

An EcoBox of Shell's 5w-30 A3/B4 LL-01 in the States would probably be a good compromise. It would be a reasonable size for shops, and given European sump sizes, wouldn't exactly be unfeasible for DIYers. It would make it difficult for people to "bring their own oil" to the BMW dealership, at least, which is, I'm sure, what Shell and BMW want to accomplish.

I am almost certain the BMW branded 5W-30 is the same thing. It is readily available online for about $9 per quart. I can't imagine what the dealer charges for it.

Sheesh. That's why I'd suggest the EcoBox. The price of stuff like that up here isn't going to frighten Walmart or CT or Napa on their best sales by a long shot, but at least it would be a legitimate option for DIYers and small shops.

I still can't understand why I cannot walk into a parts store (let alone a Walmart or Canadian Tire) and grab even a one litre bottle of a SOPUS A3/B4 product here.

I am almost certain the BMW branded 5W-30 is the same thing. It is readily available online for about $9 per quart. I can't imagine what the dealer charges for it.

My dealer sells it for a bit under $8/qt., but that's with my BMW CCA discount.

here the specs of the M twin power turbo oil

http://www.scfuels.com/media/169244/bmw-twinpower-turbo-0w-40.pdf

pH : Not applicable.
Initial Boiling Point and Boiling Range : > 280 °C / 536 °F estimated value(s)
Pour point : -48 °C / -54 °F
Flash point : 228 °C / 442 °F
Upper / lower Flammability or Explosion limits : Typical 1 - 10 %(V)
Auto-ignition temperature : > 320 °C / 608 °F
Vapour pressure : < 0.10 hPa
Specific gravity : Data not available
Density : Data not available
Water solubility : Negligible.
n-octanol/water partition coefficient (log Pow): > 6 (based on information on similar products)
Kinematic viscosity : 13.4 mm2/s (100 °C / 212 °F)
Vapour density (air=1) : > 1 (estimated value(s))
Electrical conductivity : This material is not expected to be a static accumulator.
Evaporation rate (nBuAc=1) : Data not available

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back