New ford escape ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
most manufacturer's do break-in before cars are shipped these days. I don't see the point in wasting the time or money. I can't even find a way to justify calling it cheap insurance anymore.

The oil or the magnetic drain plug...

To the poster who said that wouldn't it just go through the oil pump and get caught in the filter, maybe. Going through the oil pump can score the pump permanently. If it happened with cold oil, it might be in by-pass and circulate outside the filter.

The magnetic drain plug will attract particles from a fair distance. Yes the field is week inches away, but the oil is fluid offering no resistance and the vehicle is stirring it all the time. They are surprisingly effective
smile.gif

Of course a lot of this is about how long you want to keep the vehicle. My 88 Bronco is on original engine, but second interior... So I tend think long term.

If it'll be going back at the end of the lease, I wouldn't change either ...

Thanks for all the input,I really appreciate it. Changed the oil with Motorcraft 5w20 and motorcraft filter. Was cbeap enough. I cant believe they say 10,000 miles or when the light comes on between 8 and 10 thousand miles....seems abit much on conventional oil!?

Originally Posted By: badtlc
most manufacturer's do break-in before cars are shipped these days. I don't see the point in wasting the time or money. I can't even find a way to justify calling it cheap insurance anymore.
No they don't

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
At least no one from the "FACTORY OIL IS GARBAGE AND FULL OF SHRAPNEL" camp.

It's more that Factory oil BECOMES garbage as it fills with shrapnel. Id always change the FF ASAP, just on the slight off-chance that some particles were left behind from casting/machining etc.

I see the point of this somewhat... Assuming a simple oil flow path, though, how does said garbage recirculate around the motor to do any damage? Shouldn't it get picked up by the pump and immediately stopped in the filter?
The oil filter goes into bypass often.

The highest wear happens when an engine in breaking in. Look at the new engines uoas that are posted. Will it make a difference? most people don't keep their vehicles long enough to notice. So ask the people that keep their cars forever. I try to buy new every 20 years or so count me out. I prefer to get the sparklies out sooner than later. The newer machining seems to lessen the sparklies for some manufactures.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The highest wear happens when an engine in breaking in. Look at the new engines uoas that are posted. Will it make a difference? most people don't keep their vehicles long enough to notice. So ask the people that keep their cars forever. I try to buy new every 20 years or so count me out. I prefer to get the sparklies out sooner than later. The newer machining seems to lessen the sparklies for some manufactures.

We share the same thinking. I want that [censored] out early. It took me 20+ years to buy another new vehicle too. Then another 8 years after that, I still have both. When I buy them I want to keep them forever. Odds are if I keep my new Rubicon as long as my E-150, I'll be pushing daisies and my son will be driving it. Maybe I shouldn't have dumped the FF early.
wink.gif
lol

Originally Posted By: mrjlube
Thanks for all the input,I really appreciate it. Changed the oil with Motorcraft 5w20 and motorcraft filter. Was cbeap enough. I cant believe they say 10,000 miles or when the light comes on between 8 and 10 thousand miles....seems abit much on conventional oil!?

The only Motorcraft 5w-20 oils that I've ever seen have been blends or full syns. That doesn't mean a 'full dino' doesn't exist, though.

Do the first oil change at 5,000 miles then follow the oil life monitor after that with a quality synthetic blend or full synthetic oil. My personal recommendation is Pennzoil Platinum (Full Syn) or the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back