Defender vs CS5 Grand vs RT43 (205/70/R15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had defenders on all 4 corners of this Sienna for 2.5 years, The front 2 are shot with 25-30k miles on them (ok I never rotated). I have had michelin defenders on 2 other vehicles, and cooper CS5 grand touring on a third. I just ordered 2 General Altimax RT43 for this van, to replace the worn defenders. Im thinking run these for about 2 years then get 4 new ones.

I dont know what to expect out of the Generals, this will be my first set. However, I cant say Im overly impressed with the Defenders. They are somewhat quiet and smooth, look nice, but I think the Coopers are a better tire. I havent really tested the durability of the coopers, as the car is not driven that much. But every time I get in the car, I think, man, these tires are quiet. Cost wise, the defenders and coopers are about the same, if the defender has a steep discount. General is easily the least expensive of the 3.

Anyone else compared these 3 tires? Im curious to see how the generals do, but all other factors aside, ill look for CS5 for any car im re-shoeing in the future.

Last edited:
I have the Cooper CS5 Grand Touring on my 2013 Sienna. They are very good tires. Very quiet and nice grip. They are nice fit for minivans and sedans. Best time to buy, like most major brand tires, is when they offer rebates. Plus the 30 day test drive is a nice perk.

I would skip the defenders in car sizes.. my 90000mile tires are almost shot in 20000miles on a 2010 accent.
Front at 5/32 rear at 3.5/32

This fall they will be pro-rated out.. most likely for some altimax rt43 T or H rated IIRC only 1 is available in the size.
If I do it right with a triple rebate DT sale chances are I'll get money back.

I have had Defenders and CS5's back to back. The CS5 beats the Defender on every point quite easily (price, performance and durability etc).

I can't comment on the RT43 as I have considered but never had them.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I would skip the defenders in car sizes.. my 90000mile tires are almost shot in 20000miles on a 2010 accent.

This fall they will be pro-rated out.. most likely for some altimax rt43 T or H rated IIRC only 1 is available in the size.

You are fortunate. DT never gives me a problem with pro rated except new tire has to be same price or above existing tire.

I'm starting to not be the biggest fan of my RT43s. They're ok, worth the money since I got them on sale. I probably won't buy them again for my car though.

I would skip the Defenders in car sizes.. my 90000 mile tires are almost shot in 20000 miles on a 2010 Accent.

This fall they will be pro-rated out. Most likely for some Altimax RT43 T or H rated IIRC only 1 is available in the size.

This is the key to get the most for your money. Buy a set of 4 at the right time would net you 3 rebates: 2 from DT and the third from manufacture.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
You are fortunate. DT never gives me a problem with pro rated except new tire has to be same price or above existing tire.

I had several mileage warranty claims with local America's Tire stores in Costa Mesa and Lake Forest. They never gave me hard time when I bought different brand and cheaper too.

The only thing I noticed was they will give you pro-rated with original discount price not the current higher price.

Back to OP question, I prefer Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring for performance vehicles, CS5 Grand Touring for family sedan or minivan or CUV ...

I also like Kumho Solus TA-71 too, it is very quiet and soft ride.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I would skip the Defenders in car sizes.. my 90000 mile tires are almost shot in 20000 miles on a 2010 Accent.

This fall they will be pro-rated out. Most likely for some Altimax RT43 T or H rated IIRC only 1 is available in the size.

This is the key to get the most for your money. Buy a set of 4 at the right time would net you 3 rebates: 2 from DT and the third from manufacture.

Do you have to get a discount tire credit card to get both rebates? Recently I'm getting tires at sears but who knows if they are around next time...
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Dorian
Nick1994, please elaborate. I am interested in the same set for my Camry.
They're getting a little bit noisy, and handling isn't that great. They make the car feel like you're driving down a road of chocolate pudding. The old tires on it didn't do that. But traction isn't an issue, wet roads feel great, I even drove down a snowy road once and they were fine. They hold fine on hairpin turns its just sloppy.

Interesting. My Michelin Harmonys aren't good in the rain at all. I have wrecked with them in wet cold weather. They are great in the snow and ok on dry pavement. However, my Camry doesn't have lively steering and the car is quiet as is. I'm not sure that those qualities would put me off, especially at the price.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
Do you have to get a discount tire credit card to get both rebates? Recently I'm getting tires at sears but who knows if they are around next time...
smirk.gif

Yes, you need to apply for DT credit card, it is pretty easy on the spot. I think it was $60 rebate with debit card for $200 or more purchase.

Previous tire purchase at AT(DT in your case) was some holiday last year, I applied for credit card on the date I bought tire, everything goes smoothly.

I use DT credit card only for buying tires at DT, nothing else. I use other card(s) with better cash back for everything else.

Originally Posted By: Dorian
Interesting. My Michelin Harmonys aren't good in the rain at all. I have wrecked with them in wet cold weather. They are great in the snow and ok on dry pavement. However, my Camry doesn't have lively steering and the car is quiet as is. I'm not sure that those qualities would put me off, especially at the price.
I'm pretty sure most of the noise is a bad wheel bearing, front left. But since it's gotten louder I'm thinking the tires might have started making some noise. Quite possible it's all just the bad wheel bearing. I'll get it replaced soon and we'll see.

I have the Rt43's on the Previa. Handling is not this tires forte. I concur w/Nick 1994 regarding handling of these tires. They ride smooth and haven't tired them in winter condition. Recently bought a set of Yokohama Ascend's in 205/70/15 for my daughter's CRV which were installed today. Very impressive tire. I got three rebates which brought net cost of set for $170. Unbeatable. I believe I'll install either these on the Focus when the time comes or the Cooper CS5's.

I am on my 2nd set of Viva2. They have been awesome. I was thinking of the RT43. I have been keeping up on the tire talk. Based on the comments so far, I just may get the Viva3 for our Prius because I have had no complaints so far.

Personally I would not consider the Viva3's. These were on the rear of my daughter's CRV. (She was forced to buy these tires b/c of 2 blow outs while on a trip @ WM.) They wore very quickly. (Just had a new set of Yokohama Ascend's installed.) IMO, there are better choices out there.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I have had Defenders and CS5's back to back. The CS5 beats the Defender on every point quite easily (price, performance and durability etc).

I can't comment on the RT43 as I have considered but never had them.

Which vehicle was this? Every time I drive the CS5's I am amazed on how quiet they are. I've had them on the car for over a year now.

The RT43 go on this week.

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
I've had defenders on all 4 corners of this Sienna for 2.5 years, The front 2 are shot with 25-30k miles on them (ok I never rotated). I have had michelin defenders on 2 other vehicles, and cooper CS5 grand touring on a third. I just ordered 2 General Altimax RT43 for this van, to replace the worn defenders. Im thinking run these for about 2 years then get 4 new ones.

I dont know what to expect out of the Generals, this will be my first set. However, I cant say Im overly impressed with the Defenders. They are somewhat quiet and smooth, look nice, but I think the Coopers are a better tire. I havent really tested the durability of the coopers, as the car is not driven that much. But every time I get in the car, I think, man, these tires are quiet. Cost wise, the defenders and coopers are about the same, if the defender has a steep discount. General is easily the least expensive of the 3.

Anyone else compared these 3 tires? Im curious to see how the generals do, but all other factors aside, ill look for CS5 for any car im re-shoeing in the future.

I have a link bookmarked about short tread life even if you rotate the Defenders. Would like to see it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back