What is the point of a 20w60 Diesel oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Penrite HPR 30 Diesel 20W-60, they say to use it for the following applications:
20W-40
20W-50
Mono 30

This is typical (old school) Penrite and their "extra ten" oils.

By "extra ten" they turn a 20W-50 into a 20W-60, their HPR 5 is a 5W-30 turned into a 5W-40, etc. Because a lot of the final (+10) grades are also regular grades, people don't notice.

But yeah, Penrite do a whole range of +10 oils. Best application is for the older clapped-out machine, think of them as HM oils.

I used nothing but Penrite HPR 30, 20W-60, for years in my old air-cooled single cylinder motorcycles. They consumed oil on GTX 20W-50, but hardly anything on Penrite 20W-60.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Hmmm, Penrite claim this oil meets ACEA A3/B3, a passenger car spec, and HDEO specification- E7. First to be seen.

Take that claim with a grain of salt. The 10w50 used by my Indy in my E36 sheared right the way from nearly a -60 to a light-50 in just 5.5K km, per the UOA I did in January. A3/B3 oils should not do that, especially in an engine like the M50 which is not at all hard on oil...

My mate seemingly uses this in his preserved Mercedes O305G bus, with the Merc OM407.955 turbo-charged engine. Given that thing will have over a million km's on it, fair enough.
Fact is though, even with the turbo, the vehicle would never go out on a such a hot day as to need that sort of oil - and doesn't run 12hrs a day /7 days a week like it did in its previous life in public transport... Where it would've received a bulk fleet oil anyway.

In any case, that engine is old enough that practically any diesel oil on the market would be leaps and bounds ahead of what was available in 1986 when it was delivered.

As I will *always* say in my posts - Follow your manufacturer's recommendation, unless there is sufficient evidence to the contrary. Don't listen to the scare-tactics marketing of some boutique lubricants company about what you supposedly need. I'm sure plenty of Aussie trucks are blaring round the desert as I speak on a bulk 15w-40.

I have run this oil in a marine application for about twelve years now. It is a Nissan ED33 naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engine that puts out about 70hp. This is fitted to a 28 foot displacement cruiser. It is a grumpy old thing that was 2nd hand when it was marinised by a local engineering firm in about 1994. It has now done 2300 hours in the boat but goodness knows how many before being installed.

I have set up a temperature probe about 150mm from the engine air intake and this regularly goes over 50 degrees at cruise speed which is only 2050rpm. When hot the coolant temp is fine and the oil pressure is in the "green zone" on my vdo gauges. It maxes out at 2200 but in road going form (Nissan Cabstar & Civilian) it was redlined at 4600rpm! Cold starts are no problem. Last weekend the cabin temp was 5.5 degrees Celsius but the engine room was 14.6 degrees so the oil is not getting really cold.

Anyway as it gets nice and hot in there and it always gets a warmup before hitting cruising revs this full fat product works well in this engine. I'm not accelerating like a car and fuel consumption is around 3.5 litres per hour which is pretty good. I would add about 1 litre over 100 hours and once up to speed it does run very smoothly. Previous to using the Penrite I used 15w/40 and there was more vibration through the boat but that was a long time ago and the engine mounts have been replaced since then.

I have some Shell Rimula 15w/40 that I use in other stuff and I'm going to try it in the boat and see how it is next oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back