What's your 4x4 transfer case service interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How often do you service your 4x4 transfer cases? My manual states 120k for normal and 30k for severe.

I plan on doing my front and rear differentials at around 60k. Think I should do the transfer case at the same time or sooner? I use 4x4 auto quite often in the winter months. I actually lock it in maybe 4 or 5 times a year in mild off-road use on our property. Nothing even remotely harsh.

What do you do to yours?

A "how to" website (wjjeeps.com) I frequent for my Jeep says 30k so I've just gone by that. It may very well be 120k for normal use though.

2 quarts of ATF+4 isnt breaking the bank though.

I did mine at 40K in my 08 Liberty. The OM says check it at 30K and change it at 60K if: Change the transfer case fluid if using your vehicle for
any of the following: police, taxi, fleet, off-road, or fre-
quent trailer towing. It says nothing about normal use.

I'm with dlundblad, mine holds a little under 2 quarts and is an easy job.

I do my son's jeep one a year when I do the trans, filter , I also do the diff's as it's an afternoon project then it's done for the year

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
30k when I do the transmission. Figure while I am down there..

thumbsup2.gif
That's what I plan on doing going forward.

Every deep water play, so about 200-3000 miles. Now I have an exxxxtra long breather hose hoping the water won't get in there.. If the next water play yields no water contamination, then maybe 10k miles,since 50-80% of it will be in 4wd.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
A "how to" website (wjjeeps.com) I frequent for my Jeep says 30k so I've just gone by that. It may very well be 120k for normal use though.

2 quarts of ATF+4 isnt breaking the bank though.

The newer Ram 1500s take a Borg Warner fluid that is only available from the dealer. It's a about 30$ per quart. The 25/3500 takes ATF+4.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Every deep water play, so about 200-3000 miles. Now I have an exxxxtra long breather hose hoping the water won't get in there.. If the next water play yields no water contamination, then maybe 10k miles,since 50-80% of it will be in 4wd.

In which vehicle do you cross water?

I don't remember what Mitsubishi specified for my car, but I changed the fluid 3 times in the 42,000 miles I have owned it. I changed it at the same time I changed rear differential oil.

Owing to the small amount of fluid in the sump and the fact you use it often I would change every 30k or sooner.

When I've changed them at 100k-120k the fluid looked black and horrible.

When I've changed them 60k later the fluid looked red and only slightly darker than new.

IME, 60k is a good target

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Really? The XJ of course.

Thanks everyone for the replies, great advice! I think it will be a safe bet to do it before 60k. Just to be one the safe side.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Really? The XJ of course.

Wasn't sure if it was another vehicle that's not listed.

I have a SYE on mine and the seal on the tailshaft doesn't seem to last too long and leaks. If it lets fluid out, it lets water in.

Of course, this weekend I punctured a hole in the front diff cover and peeled the rear. So those get changed too!

=( I had mine posted up in the driveway for a few months now, no time to play. I have the Teraflex super short, and it has been trouble free...other than the dang snap rings when installing that oversized output shaft. My knuckles have PTSD.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back