What's that noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from a 1998 Vulcan engine with 207,000 miles on it. A while back there was a very light ticking sound in the car for a few days. Since it was near the time to change the oil I did so and tried some Platinum Plus. As soon as I started the car there was that ticking from somewhere. I actually pulled the back valve cover to take a look at the valve train and all was fine. Then started again and immediately got a grinding for 1-2 seconds and afterwards a rapid tapping sound.

Over the last few months I tore the top end down first to check everything and everything was fine. Heads, to valves, to push rods, to rockers and to lifters. Came up from below to see if anything in the pan and it was clean. Timing chain and gear also fine. All back together and cleaned up. Second time for me so not that big of a deal.

Started the car and there was the noise again although the engine seems to be running fine.

View My Video

View My Video

What oil filter did you use? It could be one of those cheap filters with a combo valve that causes that start up rattle. I know there's a term for it but its not coming to mind right now.

You're not gonna see the flat lifter by pulling the valve cover.

If the inlet hole to the lifter is blocked, you can clear it out by running a quart of MMO.

When the lifter pumps back up, change the oil.

Take the engine belt off and run for a minute.See if it goes away. It could also be the camsaft syncronizer. It goes where the distributor used to and also drives the oil pump. It is very common for them to fail and make noise.The shaft bushing wears and makes a nocking or sometimes whining noise.

If I get a chance I will be running the engine for a short time with the belt off first.

As for the cam syncronizer I have been told by many on the Taurus forum that the sound is more like a chirping. This definitely more like you are tapping a pushrod on a table quickly.

Originally Posted By: tbm3fan
If I get a chance I will be running the engine for a short time with the belt off first.

As for the cam syncronizer I have been told by many on the Taurus forum that the sound is more like a chirping. This definitely more like you are tapping a pushrod on a table quickly.

The synchronizer going sounds like a belt chirp. I have lost count of how many belts I have sold for those and then later in the day quoted out a synchronizer.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

The synchronizer going sounds like a belt chirp. I have lost count of how many belts I have sold for those and then later in the day quoted out a synchronizer.

Well it is easy enough to pull so I'll give it a look since the upper intake is off at the moment.

Cam synchronizer perfectly fine. Spins nice and smooth compared to the other one I removed from the engine. Did run the car without the belt on and the noise showed up about 15 seconds in. The first 5-6 seconds of running the engine sounds fine and then you hear the faint taps occur before reaching their full sound. Despite the sound the engine runs without missing a beat.

Vibration wise, with the tapping, the valve covers where fine but could feel vibration when placing my hand on top of the upper intake.

Leaning towards a lifter not doing it's thing. Noise seems to emanate directly below the intake manifold and not off to the side valve covers. Ran the car, removing one plug at a time, and there was no change in the noise. Really beginning to irritate me as I don't want to concede going to a repair place when I am capable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back