Looking for a synthetic 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside the debate of syn vs non-syn, and since yall know oils and their grades... Who makes a synthetic 15w40 besides Amsoil.

And mixing oil brands and weights isn't a issue right? By that I mean the truck leaves a bit of oil behind each change. And I'd like to run 5w40 in the winter since it starts much easier and 15w40 in the summer

Amsoil or royal purple make a 15w40 diesel oil. Other than that it's hard to find because synthetic base oils naturally have good cold flow properties and API certified oils are required to be labeled by the lowest W weight they pass.

Even the Amsoil likely passes lower than 15W but they can get away with it.

I too would recommend a 5w40 synthetic year round.

Yeah that's what I was going to do but I was hoping on saving a few bucks. I may run the valvoline extreme blue oil next.

Since regular "dino" HDEO's can go up to 15,000 miles in big rigs, what are trying to do?

Note that Delo 400 15W-40 is Iso-Syn technology, so that is technically able to be called syn in the USA...

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
Outside the debate of syn vs non-syn, and since yall know oils and their grades... Who makes a synthetic 15w40 besides Amsoil.

And mixing oil brands and weights isn't a issue right? By that I mean the truck leaves a bit of oil behind each change. And I'd like to run 5w40 in the winter since it starts much easier and 15w40 in the summer

As far as I am aware, no one. Truckers don't like expensive oils!

A 15w40 FS is the recommended oil for hot desert operations for my old 1.9 TDI (An 0w30 is in spec for the winter and Xw40's for the summer).

Oddly enough you can make a real good German standard FS (Group 4) by adding an oil additive to a Synthoil. Liqui Moly make a good oil thickner and if you do the sums, adding a can might move one of the synthoils from the Xw30 to a 15w40.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Amsoil or royal purple make a 15w40 diesel oil. Other than that it's hard to find because synthetic base oils naturally have good cold flow properties and API certified oils are required to be labeled by the lowest W weight they pass.

Even the Amsoil likely passes lower than 15W but they can get away with it.

I too would recommend a 5w40 synthetic year round.

Along with Amsoil and Royal Purple, Redline makes a synthetic 15w40. Shell has a Rotella T5 syn-blend 15w40 and 10w40.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
NattyBoh - Instead of looking for a synthetic 15W-40 for use in summer it makes sense to run a synthetic HDEO 5W-40 all year round

You mean I'm not nuts, Doug? I shouldn't be running a thirty year old monograde without outdated specs for three or four months, and then switch back to my 5w-40 for the rest of the year?
wink.gif
You have some threads to check out.

NattyBoh: I've also seen RP 15w-40, and yes, I'm a RP fan. However, I don't see the benefit of RP 15w-40 at close to double the price of Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, at my pricing.

Just run 5w40 year-round.

What engine is this for, by the way?
I was assuming that since you mentioned VPBE, you have a Cummins engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Since regular "dino" HDEO's can go up to 15,000 miles in big rigs, what are trying to do?

Note that Delo 400 15W-40 is Iso-Syn technology, so that is technically able to be called syn in the USA...

Depends on the model. Detroit DD15 engine, the OEM recommended OCI for that engine in road use is 50,000 miles or 1280 hrs... on conventional. And they are factory filling with 10w30. There is not a HD diesel OEM recommending anything less than 25,000 mile OCI except in the most extreme of conditions.

I just use a 10w30 syn blend and have very good results within a good cost benefit ratio. At 10 gallons a oil change, and from what I have tried before, paying for a full syn like a 5w40 doesn't work for me. Not enough return to justify the cost.

Exactly. Instead of looking for a synthetic 15w40 for summer use, just run 5w40 year round.
Plain & simple.
Depending on the number of oil changes one might do in the course of a year, seasonal adjustment can be made.
To save money, maybe lessen wear, maybe not, or just for fun.
When this topic popped up, I thought; why would someone want a synthetic 15W40 for summer use in the first place?
Well, because they want one.
Plain & simple.
Garak; I know your answer to every post before you do.
Carry on with your 5w40 year round if that is what makes you happy in Regina.
No one said you have to perform seasonal changes, use an out dated specification or 30 year old mono-grade.
Please don't feel that you have to defend your decision or counter someone else's decisions with what you do in Regina.
Plain & simple.

It's not about what makes me happy. It's about what makes sense. I could run a monograde all year and just cut it with kerosene in the winter. That might make me happy, but would be rather foolish, given that my calendar says 2016, not 1936.

Depends on the engine, 5W40 may not resist shearing as good as 10W40 or 15W40, and/or their HTHS value is lower than what OP is looking for?

10W40 fully synth may maybe easier to get.

Garak;
What makes sense to one person, may not make sense to another, or the group.
Each member has to decide what is best for themselves, not another person, or the group.
For example what makes sense to me, might not sense to you, and quite possibly... nobody else.
I'm OK with that.

Thanks guys. It's for a powerstroke 6.0, a d it shears pretty fast. I know it likes a 10w30 oil but I do notice a slight icp drop when using a 10w30. The truck likes a 40w when it can get one. My truck is far from stock so that's why I'm looking for a 40w. I could always run that Rotella 10w40 semi...

There is no harm is mixing oils or whatever is left from the old oil in the sump, right?

If you're running a HEUI 6.0 PSD, you might want to do a search on T6 & shearing, you'll likely be limited to 5K before the HPOP & injectors shear it into a 30 weight anyway! I personally had great results with VPBE in a 6.0 work van, changed every 5K, no consumption & original turbo when the transmission gave up at just over 250K.

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
Thanks guys. It's for a powerstroke 6.0, a d it shears pretty fast. I know it likes a 10w30 oil but I do notice a slight icp drop when using a 10w30. The truck likes a 40w when it can get one. My truck is far from stock so that's why I'm looking for a 40w. I could always run that Rotella 10w40 semi...

There is no harm is mixing oils or whatever is left from the old oil in the sump, right?

OH. From what I've read, the 6.0's injection system shears 5w40's into 5w30's in a few thousand miles. But 10w30's are stable in that engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back