2009 Kia Sedona - maintenance recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys -

We've just bought a 2009 Kia Sedona minivan. It will replace our venerable '97 Mazda MPV which we're passing on to our son & daughter-in-law, in hopes they'll get a couple more years out of it.

The manual calls for:

Motor oil = 5W-20 or 5W-30 for all temperatures, or 10W-30 for approximately -18C (0F) or above. SJ/ILSAC GF-3 or better is called for. I'll use the Mobil 1 as in my other vehicles. I got a good deal on some 10W-30 so will use that in the summer.

I'm pretty sold on Liqui-Moly and will add it, hoping it will extend the life of the timing chains and guides.

Will install my spare Fumoto valve at this time.

Will probably buy some Baldwin cartridge filters.

ATF = DIAMOND ATF SP-III or SK ATF SP-III. ??? Does this correspond to Dexron III? Can I use a Mobil 1 or Amsoil full-synthetic AFT instead?

Power steering = PSF-III. Again, I'd like to use a synthetic, preferably the same as the ATF. Recommendations?

Coolant = Ethylene glycol base for aluminum. Any recommendations?

Brake fluid = FMVSS116 DOT-3 or -4.

I also plan to pull the plugs and replace them, just so they don't seize in. Will likely do the valve cover gaskets at the same time. I like NGK - are they appropriate for a Korean engine?

I'll also try to find the PCV valve and change it.

Thanks in advance!

My mom has the same van, 2007 bought in 2011 with 63K on the clock. Currently sitting over 120K and the only thing she replaced was an alternator. Very reliable Van from my point of view

Last edited:
I'd go with OEM plugs(likely Denso or NGK). I wouldn't bother replacing them till the recommended interval if they're not due. I'm sure the back plugs are a PITA if it's a V6.

Brake fluid is brake fluid. I use the house brand DOT 3.

Yep, upper intake has to be removed for the back 3 plugs

Originally Posted By: maximus
I'd go with OEM plugs(likely Denso or NGK). I wouldn't bother replacing them till the recommended interval if they're not due. I'm sure the back plugs are a PITA if it's a V6.

Originally Posted By: rocky8314
Yep, upper intake has to be removed for the back 3 plugs

Originally Posted By: maximus

Yes, someone's been good enough to post a YouTube video of a plug change. This had scared me off transverse DOHC V6es until now, but it's hard to find an alternative now. I think the Mopars are like that now with the Pentastar replacing the old pushrod 3.3/3.8 engines.

Love my Mazda 5, and the transverse 4-banger is still very accessible, but I acknowledge that a 2.3 l would not be enough in the Sedona.

I'll do the valve cover gaskets at the same time as the plugs - hope to only be in there once!

Strange thing - Canadian Tire had no listing for NGK plugs for the Sedona - only Autolite, and mutant plugs w/ multiple ground electrodes. No thanks! Dealer time I guess ...

OK, found NGK plug recommendations on NGK's website:

G-Power Platinum
BKR5EGP

Iridium IX
BKR5EIX-11

Laser Series
IFR5G-11

So what would give the best life and performance? I'd like them to last at least 5 years/75K km. I imagine they ascend in price as listed. Are there any downsides to going with the Laser? (What is the Laser? I thought Iridium was the top grade. And I assume iridium is better than platinum.)

Thanks in advance for helping out this plug-illiterate wrencher.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
OK, found NGK plug recommendations on NGK's website:

G-Power Platinum
BKR5EGP

Iridium IX
BKR5EIX-11

Laser Series
IFR5G-11

So what would give the best life and performance? I'd like them to last at least 5 years/75K km. I imagine they ascend in price as listed. Are there any downsides to going with the Laser? (What is the Laser? I thought Iridium was the top grade. And I assume iridium is better than platinum.)

Thanks in advance for helping out this plug-illiterate wrencher.

Out of those, only use the Laser iridium IFR5G-11. They'll last at least 100k. Transverse V6 engines like your Sedona are impossible to work on since it's difficult to get to the back of the engine. I'd also recommend replacing the valve cover gaskets while you back there.

[/quote]Out of those, only use the Laser iridium IFR5G-11. They'll last at least 100k. Transverse V6 engines like your Sedona are impossible to work on since it's difficult to get to the back of the engine. I'd also recommend replacing the valve cover gaskets while you back there. [/quote]Good call Slacktide! Here's the response from NGK:

The Laser Iridium part # IFR5G-11 or stock # 7854 is the OE spark plug. It is the best option for replacement. The life expectancy for Laser Iridium is 120,000kms.

All three part numbers are recommended for use in your Sedona, they are listed in good, better, best format from top to bottom. G-Power is 60,000kms, Iridium IX is 80,000kms.

If you have further questions please contact me again.

Thank you for your interest in NGK Spark Plugs Canada Limited

Pulled one of the front plugs this morning - it was indeed an NGK IFR5G-11 (i.e. laser iridium). No trouble removing the plug, and there was no corrosion on the threads. The porcelain was a bit sooty, but only on the side opposite the ground electrode. The centre electrode looked good, and there was no visible depth to the soot - it was a black coating only. The edges of the ground electrode were still fairly sharp. Per NGK the correct gap is 0.044", and it had to be close - the 0.040" round wire on the plug gap gauge passed without interference, and the 0.045" wire didn't.

Per the owner's manual, the recommended interval for spark plug change-out is 160K km. This is in contrast to NGK which says the life expectancy of the Laser Iridium plugs is 120K km. The ones in the van are at 95K km.

What to do, what to do? As a loyal BITOGer, I'll likely change them. I'm not very computer-savvy, but will try to figure out how to upload photos of the plug in question.

OK, the pre-winter maintenance is done on the Kia.

Oil - Mobil 1 0W-30

Oil Additive - Liqui-Moly

Oil Filter - from dealer

Air Filter - looked great, so I left it in

Tranny - Drained about 4.5 quarts of the factory fluid out, and replaced it with Amsoil Signature Series Multi-vehicle Synthetic ATF. Will do this again in the Spring.

PS - Drained about 200 ml out of the PS reservoir, replaced w/ Amsoil ATF as above, and repeated.

Cooling System - Drained about 4 litres of the factory coolant and replaced it with Xerex Asian pre-mixed coolant & a bottle of RMI-25. Will repeat in the Spring.

Brake Fluid - Bled factory fluid and replaced it with new DOT 3. Old fluid was getting pretty murky.

The vehicle is very good to work on, at least for basic maintenance - the AT has a drain plug, and both the crankcase and AT drain plugs can be removed easily without removing a skid plate or splash pan. I installed a Fumoto valve in the crankcase.

Likewise, the rad drain plug is accessed without removing anything else.

The oil filter is a cartridge type, with the housing up top. Easy, and not messy.

The bleeder valves on the calipers are loosened w/ a 10 mm socket or wrench, not the 8 mm I'm used to.

There's a hose near the bottom of the PS reservoir that can be removed easily, allowing the reservoir to be drained rather than pumped out.

Well done, Kia! I'm impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back