Another wonderful dealership experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not my car, but my moms. She has been taking it to Ford for the past couple years for oil changes and tire rotations and they have generally been very good.

2009 Fusion, 3.0 V6 with 235,000 miles and the threads on the oil pan strip out while they are changing the oil on Saturday, so they install one of those temp rubber plugs. If any thing is wrong with the car she usually calls me right away. I am surprised that I did not find out until a day later when I was at my parents house for Father's Day.

I'm not very happy about this and I know I could have prevented this if I was doing the oil change myself. I would if I could, but living an hour away and the miles she drives makes it almost impossible.

Now that the damage is done, what is the best way to repair this with out replacing the oil pan?

Looks like it has been leaking for a while. If there is enough thickness to support a threaded insert, try that. I would want a new pan.

Yep-BITOG members are perfect. We hardly EVER HEAR on here about stripped drain plugs.....or any mistake for that matter.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Threaded insert

Helicoil?

About anything really. I Helicoil'ed the pan on my Elantra when I was doing some other work to it... It was due to the factory using too short of a drain plug bolt- and when it was tightened to much by the various quick lubes before I got it, the threads ripped out. The temporary fix was to use a longer plug to reach the remaining good threads. However you could use other threaded type inserts too.

I wouldn't hold it against the dealer. With the miles on it and how many times it's been removed and reinstalled the threads get worn out eventually I've seen it happen. I'd use a oversize plug of you can or helicoil it . Second best thing to replacing the pan.

Last edited:
The angle of the drain plug to the engine cradle makes me wonder if there is enough room to work and get a straight shot at the drain plug threads.

With the mileage on the car and her average OCI I bet the oil has been changed 40 times!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Aluminum doesn't "get worn out". That is actually the reason for torque specs.

Exactly, if properly installed and removed with proper tightening specs, and there is no corrosion due to salted roads ect, there is NO reason that bolt should ever "wear out" for a million miles.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Threaded insert

The cheapest fix is probably a Helicoil insert IF they make one that matches the thread (They probably do). I suppose you could drill out the hole and tap in a new plug, but that would need a big tap and die set.

Another very cheap fix would be to use a sealant that is oil and heat resistant (RTV or even marine Silkaflex) to glue in the present sump plug.
Then buy an oil change pump, or use an Iffylube that uses them.

Last edited:
Are scenarios like this why we should do cold oil changes OR just barely snug them down. I mean, what is 40lb-feet getting done that 15 ft-lbs won't?

Also, time to use a mityvac? Ask HTSS about them.

Yeah, just siphon from here on out.

Nag the dealer that they broke it and owe her some sort of threaded fix. Whine that there's a reason they don't go to jiffy lube yadda yadda. If she's a "good customer" they might step up.

I wouldn't hold it against the dealer. With the miles on it and how many times it's been removed and reinstalled the threads get worn out eventually I've seen it happen. I' [/quote]

That stuff should not happen to begin with regardless of miles if the work was done by someone competent.

I would try another plug first because the plug usually gets screwed up before the insert in the pan, otherwise there are repair kit inserts available.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Nag the dealer that they broke it and owe her some sort of threaded fix. Whine that there's a reason they don't go to jiffy lube yadda yadda. If she's a "good customer" they might step up.

You nailed it. Especially if the car has been serviced there on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back