Large video files stalling Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have a folder with some 150-300GB video files that I intend to edit. They are MPEG2 1080p 3-6 hours+ long.
Problem is, everytime I open the folder, my computer completely stalls out. I can't even move the mouse for 30 seconds or so. I can see the HDD LED on solid and if I open up task manager right after, I can see my memory spiked from when Im usually around 6GB to the maximum 12GB. And, I can't monitor task manager while this happens, but Im pretty sure it fills swap pretty good too if the HD light is any indication.
My suspicion is that windows is trying to process the files for a preview image, at least that what I thought because the folder had automatically selected "Photos" as the type. But, even after I switched it to "General items" it still does it.
What function is doing this and where do I turn it off?

You are trying to perform work that the high end computer was invented to perform.

Ever wonder who was buying those SGI workstations in the past, or why the Mac Pro is still in the catalog today?

Well, now you know. 12GB RAM is plenty for almost any task you might ask a computer to do. But for video files of the size you're describing, 12GB RAM is best described as "woefully inadequate". I would consider 32GB to be the bare minimum for the files you are talking about, and if I could stuff more in there ... 128 GB is not out of the question ... I would.

I'm not sure what you are referring to about processes that Win10 might be trying to implement. A preview image involves very little data.

To edit that file, the entire file must be opened. Period.

You probably need free space on the HD equal to the file size in order to load the video, and quite possibly more, so insure you have at least 300 GB free space on the HD to open a 300 GB file (total 600 GB) for example.

What application are you using to edit the file(s)?

I haven't even opened the file at this point. All I have done is open the folder that CONTAINS them which results in the stall.

Once Im past the stall-out, I can open and play them just fine, TYVM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I haven't even opened the file at this point. All I have done is open the folder that CONTAINS them.

Play, I see no problem. For playback, video files are cached so only a fraction of the file size is actually accessed. I thought you said "Edit".

Why not have the folder open in list view instead of icon view?

Try adjusting your VM size.

Start Menu > Settings
enter "performance"
Choose: Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows
Go to: Advanced
At: Virtual Memory select Change
Compare "Recommended" and "Currently Allocated"

If Currently Allocated is less than Recommended, then:
Uncheck "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives"
Click "Custom Size"
Enter the Recommended value in the box for Initial Size
Enter a larger value in the Maximum Size box.

You can also enter a value greater than the Recommended Value for Initial Size.

The values you can enter are dependent on the free space available in the HD with the OS resident.

My guess i'm going to go with antivirus is set to scan folders you are accessing so it's scanning the files in the folder.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I haven't even opened the file at this point. All I have done is open the folder that CONTAINS them.

Play, I see no problem. For playback, video files are cached so only a fraction of the file size is actually accessed. I thought you said "Edit".

Why not have the folder open in list view instead of icon view?

Im playing them along side my own Gopro videos of the same event so I can note some times to begin sync work between the 3 third party camera feeds and my own gopro videos. Then I will edit.
It was in Icon view, I set it to detail view. Problem remains.

Originally Posted By: wkcars
My guess i'm going to go with antivirus is set to scan folders you are accessing so it's scanning the files in the folder.

I just did it and was able to catch Explorer with 5GB of memory before it stalled.

32.gif
Mpeg-2 is a horrible file format for editing, which chokes many computers, not just yours. Something about the I and P frames and adding/ subtracting from them.

You might consider running them through ffmpeg into an intermediate file format (maybe high bitrate .264) though you'd get a generation loss.

And if these are from a go-pro, maybe set it to start a new file after 4 GB or every 10 minutes or some similar setting to help in the future.

It may also help you to have a separate HDD for video storage that's not the same partition/ physical disk as the OS, edit software, and swap space.

I can't imagine doing an ffmpeg on 2TB of Mpeg2. I want to cut out the pieces where I appear at least first so they are more manageable.

The Mpeg2s are from the event holder's Pro broadcasting cameras. But they recorded the WHOLE event, where I was only there for 20-45 minutes at a time then taking a break due to heat exhaustion.
Im just trying to get the parts where I appear out of them (and also the audio since the audio in them is FARRRRRRR better than the bass-overloaded mic on my GoPro.)

The files are stored on a 5.4TB RAID 5, Premier Pro's Scratch disk is a 3.6TB RAID 10 (just for information when I get to that point, thought that is moot atm since Im not there yet) and OS is a 256GB Samsung 830.

Is the folder set to compress or encrypt or indexed? maybe it's compressing/decompressing or encrypting/decrypting or is windows trying to index the folder

as a work around try installing VLC media player and assign the files(extensions) to playback with that.

It might be windows trying to make a thumbnail or some other issue.

Originally Posted By: wkcars
Is the folder set to compress or encrypt or indexed? maybe it's compressing/decompressing or encrypting/decrypting or is windows trying to index the folder

Nope

Originally Posted By: Rand
as a work around try installing VLC media player and assign the files(extensions) to playback with that.

It might be windows trying to make a thumbnail or some other issue.

Currently default for the file type is Media Player Classic

Originally Posted By: eljefino
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpg2cut2/

Use this to slice out the mpeg you're interested in *without resampling.*

ffmpeg also can do a -vcodec copy -acodec copy :ss :t command, start time & time copy but it's akward.

Thats perfect to keep from having to bring the whole thing into premier. Thanks!

Have you tried disabling thumbnail cache and using file icon instead of thumbnails in the folder options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back