Brake shoes and brake fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Lots of wrong-ness in that paragraph.

First, the BEST brake cleaner is pure tetrachloroethylene (Brakeleen red can or equivalent). The "green" formulae that are a soup of various solvents are not nearly as good, and IMO more dangerous since some of them are highly flammable.

Could be. The stuff I've got is 3M. Apart from the corporate lawyer jive about it not being recommended for anything at all and if it gives you cancer tough, the visible writing is all in Chinese, so I don't actually know what's in it. It smells like its a mixture of volatile organic solvents. Since perc is a volatile organic solvent, it would share this stuffs primary disadvantage (IMO naturally).

Plastic compatability doesn't bother me since I'm not planning to use it on plastic. Flammability doesn't bother me much either ( I regularly put petrol in my car. That's the kind of wild and crazy guy I am) but water is only flammable under unusual circumstances, and doesn't usually attack plastic, so at worst for water thats a tie. Toxicity and environmental concerns would give water a significant edge. I'd be amazed if you can still buy perc-based brake cleaner in California.

Hot-water washing is OK for the brake SHOES, but you really don't want to be doing that to the backing plates, adjuster linkages, and other components unnecessarily-

But I really do, because my experience is that its better for removing dust (see above), and theoretically it should be a lot better for removing brake fluid. If you're brakes aren't greasy (mine aren't, yet) then the water could theoretically promote corrosion, but it dries off very quickly so I don't think that's an issue. If it was I'd give them a follow-up de-watering spray with alcohol.

and its unnecessary because effective, non-corrisive, non-flammable, cheap alternatives like TCE brake cleaner are available.

Brake cleaner is often unnecessary because the MORE effective, non-corrosive (well, not very corrosive), non-flammable, non-toxic, FREE alternative of water is available.

If you've got slightly greasy brakes brake cleaner might be your (follow up) weapon of choice, but the commonest (and the OP's) problems are accumulated dust and brake fluid, and for them, water is superior (IMO, naturally).

But go ahead and buy stuff. Its the American way.

The brake line in your crusty old truck will break right off when you try to remove the wheel cylinder so by all means re-use the contaminated shoes. If you never use the parking brake you may have to replace that too before you can get it all back together. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back