OTC substitute for Wet Paint Glaze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does not even have to beat WPG but just good enough will do. WPG is great as you can use it on a dirty car and works as water less wash + polish + sealant in single step.

One of the guys on here started a thread about it on the Accord forum a long time ago. He's very knowledgeable about car detailing and used to do it professionally. Duragloss recently came out with a new product that's a waterless wash. Some of their products can be purchased from CARQUEST and Federated. Even Advance I believe is supposed to start carrying DG.

www.duragloss.com

Does anybody know the name of the equivalent DG product? I will see if the local Federated carries it.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Does anybody know the name of the equivalent DG product? I will see if the local Federated carries it.

Duragloss has a Rinseless wash w/ Aquawax. I don't think it's going to be a substitute for Wet Paint Glaze as WPG has kerosene in it...and I'm sure the DG has nothing like that as an ingredient.

I'm quite skeptical that you can "polish" over dirt (which is what their website claims) and not leave marring or swirls, but I'll keep my comments to myself. If you're looking for a waterless wash product, Meguiars D115 has worked very well for me. I believe they have an OTC version available (waterless wash and wax anywhere) if you want to try it out before ordering a large amount.

I had DG Aquawax and FCS spray bottles. Somebody had said to try mixture of FCS and Aquawax. I tried it and it is pretty good. The shine is not as good as WPG but a least I don't have to worry about over-spray as it does not leave any white dots or residue. I am using the WPG pump spray bottle which is probably one of the best to spray extremely fine mist of the mixture.

So until I finish my DG stock, I will not be ordering WPG.

You have to first try it on a vehicle which you don't mind if the results turn out to be disastrous. That is how I started.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
One of the guys on here started a thread about it on the Accord forum a long time ago. He's very knowledgeable about car detailing and used to do it professionally. Duragloss recently came out with a new product that's a waterless wash. Some of their products can be purchased from CARQUEST and Federated. Even Advance I believe is supposed to start carrying DG.

www.duragloss.com

That would be me. I have yet to find any product anywhere that comes close to Wet Paint Glaze. I am a fan of Duragloss products but I have not tried #971 Aquawax Waterless Wash & Wax. Regular Aquawax is one of my favorite products though.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
Originally Posted By: Vikas

Duragloss has a Rinseless wash w/ Aquawax. I don't think it's going to be a substitute for Wet Paint Glaze as WPG has kerosene in it...and I'm sure the DG has nothing like that as an ingredient.

Was that satire? The kerosene is used as a catalyst among the other 35 ingredients to increase the rate of the chemical reaction for the finalized product. How do I know this? Because I called and asked the inventor.

When I was looking into Wet Paint in 2004 it was all the naysayers (that had never even tried the product) that prompted me to give it a go. It did exactly as promised and even exceeded my expectations.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

www.duragloss.com

That would be me. I have yet to find any product anywhere that comes close to Wet Paint Glaze. I am a fan of Duragloss products but I have not tried #971 Aquawax Waterless Wash & Wax. Regular Aquawax is one of my favorite products though.
How does equivalent Meguairs (Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere) or Ultima (Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate) compares to WPG? Both of them can be purchased at Amazon but if they do not beat WPG, then I would just bite the bullet and stock up on WPG.

My new car (which will be 4 years old in few months) has never seen a wash bucket. I try to remember to park it outside when rain is forecast. That is how I remove the winter salt! It has been through touchless car wash couple of times. Only WPG and the DG cocktail has been used on this car. I can not see any scratches on the paint finish.

I've gone through a lot of money looking for a substitute only to be disappointed. I started ordering by the case more than a decade ago. If you have plenty of the pump up applicators/sprayers then order quarts only. If not then order a case of combos.

Mine has lasted 5+ years in the garage that reaches well over 100ºF for 8-10 months a year. Still works as new, I see no difference at all. When it sits a long time it requires serious shaking to mix it back up.....that's about it.

But don't they incrementally improve the product lot more often? By the time I get to use the last bottle, it would be hopelessly "out of date"! I am somewhat facetious here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back