It is HOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was up to 107* earlier. Still 102* here in the hills of San Diego. We have a huge swamp cooler that works great to cool the house down.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Originally Posted By: dishdude
That's nothing, it's already 114 in Phoenix.

Yeah, but that's a dry heat!
Yeah it's a dry heat in my oven too, and the roast beef cooks great.

Quote:
The National Weather Service says the mercury quickly rose Sunday morning, with some areas of metropolitan Phoenix reaching 110 before noon. Forecasters say the city could see a high of up to 120, approaching the record of 122.

Firefighters in north Phoenix rescued a 28-year-old woman who became unresponsive while mountain biking with friends in the morning. She was transported to a hospital in critical condition.

In neighboring Pinal County, a 25-year-old Phoenix man died Saturday of heat exposure while hiking.

Too hot to do anything outdoor. Stay cool guys.

Originally Posted By: Delta
118*? No way I could handle that. When I lived in Mississippi it would be 95* and 90% humidity, couldn't take it. I love living in between two mountains; there's always a slight breeze to knock out the humidity.

Having experienced both, I will take 115 and dry over 85 and humid every time.

Been hiking in Arizona (slowly...and with lots of water) at 115. After a day or two, I got almost used to it. Without the humidity, it's not too horrid.

Been back eat when it was only in the 80-90's. Humidity was so nasty that everything in the house felt wet. Hated it.

Now...the Pacific Northwest? Beautiful, fresh air. 70's and blue sky with a breeze coming off the Cascade mountains. Perfect.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
118*? No way I could handle that. When I lived in Mississippi it would be 95* and 90% humidity, couldn't take it. I love living in between two mountains; there's always a slight breeze to knock out the humidity.

Which condition is harder on A/C and power consumption: 115F and 20% humidity or 85F and 90% humidity ?

If you set thermostat to 75F then 85F and 90% humidity is much easier on A/C and use less power to maintain that temp ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Which condition is harder on A/C and power consumption: 115F and 20% humidity or 85F and 90% humidity ?

If you set thermostat to 75F then 85F and 90% humidity is much easier on A/C and use less power to maintain that temp ?

85°F and 90% RH is not a problem, 100°F and 90% RH is much harder on an A/C and power consumption than 115°F and 20% RH. Part of it is in 20% RH, you will probably set your A/C to a warmer temp since it "feels" cooler anyway due to the lower humidity. just getting airflow when it is low humidity helps a ton.

Me personally, I was actually comfortable inside with the A/C set @ 80°F when it was 96°F with a heat index of 107°F, my wife was saying she was too hot so I set it at 78°.
If you go outside for about 30 minutes, even just walking around, when you come back in, 80°F feels nice.

As long as it's dry, I'm good with 80 and will set my A/C there or 78. My wife would be fine without A/C...heat just doesn't bother her.

My A/C is set to 73. It's a pretty new unit and does a good job, but at 120 degrees today, it's been running all evening, 74 in the house.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Only half way there; the human body can withstand temps of around 240F We have a nicely designed cooling system.

At 270 you need a towel on your ears nose and eyes to keep them from hurting, and a new plastic cup ever time you make a cranberry-vodka. I have not been in a decent sauna in so long...
frown.gif

Mesa, AZ briefly touched 122.9 this afternoon. The a/c was running constantly to keep the house at 77. I ran the thermostat up to 80 to give it a rest and make sure the coils didn't freeze.

If climate shift continues, it's just a matter of time until Cincinnati is the new Key West. wink Perhaps my grandchildren will summer in Canada to escape the heat, and take excursions wearing environmental suits to view the formerly populated state of Arkansas. "Look daddy!" as my great grandson points to a desiccated body with a mullet and a tattered wife-beater.

When the asphalt burns your feet through the shoes, you know it's hot.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
85°F and 90% RH is not a problem, 100°F and 90% RH is much harder on an A/C and power consumption than 115°F and 20% RH. Part of it is in 20% RH, you will probably set your A/C to a warmer temp since it "feels" cooler anyway due to the lower humidity. just getting airflow when it is low humidity helps a ton.

Me personally, I was actually comfortable inside with the A/C set @ 80°F when it was 96°F with a heat index of 107°F, my wife was saying she was too hot so I set it at 78°.
If you go outside for about 30 minutes, even just walking around, when you come back in, 80°F feels nice.

My brother in Phoenix set his thermostat to 85F in summer along with a dozen or so fan running, I went outside in the evening walking for 15-20 minutes, went back inside and felt so cool because outside was 100-105F at 7:20-7:30 PM.

If it makes you guys feel any better, it only got to 15C here today, which is about 59F...oh, did I mention it's the middle of winter here? Shortest day (winter solstice) tomorrow, which means we're heading back towards the warmer weather at last
smile.gif
Then maybe you Northern Hemisphere guys can stop complaining about the heat...

The hottest place I have been is Kuwait. When I was a kid I walked to school and remember feeling hot winds like an oven was opened.

My temp would bump above 120f occasion.

Looks like people hiking and cycling are dropping like flies. Why do people in extreme conditions bring no supplies?

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Only half way there; the human body can withstand temps of around 240F We have a nicely designed cooling system.

Best oil for that system?

Beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back