'89 Turbo Trans Am Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This car's been parked for 2 years and I'm getting it back out now. I used to run a Mobil 1 5-30 with ZDDPlus, but I'm wondering if there is an oil I can run without the ZDDPlus. If you don't know, this is basically a factory Turbo Buick V6 powered Trans Am.

The engine is completely OEM stock (flat tappet cam) 231 V6 except for stock replacement valve springs. It has a bunch of bolt ons (complete fuel system, air intake system, and full exhaust from a 3" downpipe to the tailpipes, alky injection, Stage 5 TA61 Turbo, wide band tuning via stock ECM with an aux board, etc, etc, etc.

The car has 90K and was running 25psi on the street when it was parked. Estimated weight is 3350 + 200 for me + a little from bolt ons. The car runs 121-122 MPH in the 1/4 on radials, so what, 490+ RWHP? It's going right back to 25psi in increments.

All I know to do would be run Mobil 1 or Amsoil with ZDDPlus, but I'm open to suggestions on oil and maybe the filter. The car uses an AC PF1218 and it barely fits due to the intercooler and shroud.

Alex

Whooooo! SWEET sounding car here!

If you're looking for ZDDP in an oil.. First suggestion for QS Defy. probably 5W-30 just like you had.

We will need a refresher on the relationship between API SN oil and ZDDP.

The M1 HM oils have extra zinc in them, I like the M1 10W-30 High Mileage specs, but I don't know about your cold start requirements.

I believe QS Defy is now SN and just has regular zinc levels.

Nice sounding car. Can we have a picture please ?

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Maybe Redline 5w30? They list 1000ppm+ of zinc in many of their oils. They also sell a zinc additive too. Maybe start there.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one.
smile.gif

RL probably beats the living daylights out of QS anyways.

Turbo Trans.! I'm jealous.

Just curious, what number is it?

Edit: just paid more attention to you user ID. Pretty sure I can guess the number now.

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice
Whooooo! SWEET sounding car here!

If you're looking for ZDDP in an oil.. First suggestion for QS Defy. probably 5W-30 just like you had.

We will need a refresher on the relationship between API SN oil and ZDDP.

Quaker State Defy no longer has boosted ZDDP, its a run of the mil API SN resource conserving high mileage oil now.

OK, found the M1 spec sheet with Zinc levels
M1 ZDDP Levels

The regular M1 5W-30 you were running had 900 ppm Zn, HTHS of 3.1 and was API SN

M1 High Mileage 5W-30 has 1100 ppm Zinc, HTHS of 3.3, and is API SL.
M1 HM 10W-30 has 1100 ppm Zinc, HTHS of 3.5, and is API SL

Mobil calls them high mileage oils, but I think of them as performance oils in disguise.

With a Broken-In Stock Cam & New Stock Springs on a Turbo 3.8L Buick, You don't have to freak out over ZDDP levels, If it hasn't flattened a lobe already. It most likely won't....EVER.

I thought by 1989, all GM pushrod engines had roller lifters. So high zddp wouldn't necessarily be a must-have.

But AMSoil Z-Rod 10w30 is probably exactly what you need. Since the car sits a lot, Z-Rod would coat the engine parts to prevent rust during storage. And it has high zddp. And it has excellent shear resistance.

Redline 5w30 would be good, too.

Joe Gibbs LS30 or one of their Hot Rod oils would probably work, too.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Quaker State Defy no longer has boosted ZDDP, its a run of the mil API SN resource conserving high mileage oil now.

Assuming the California VR1 matter can be taken at face value, maybe now we know why. QS didn't want to get caught with their pants down.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I thought by 1989, all GM pushrod engines had roller lifters. So high zddp wouldn't necessarily be a must-have.

I believe you are correct. However, this engine was originally designed for the '86 and '87 Regals, and the '89 TTA version was hand built off the part shelves.

Redline 5W30 is the best choice.

No sense in saving a few bucks on oil.

Amazon retailers have the best prices and free/quick shipping.

Not sure about AL, but lots of VA Sunocos have 100 octane no-lead. A very few here have 4 button pumps with 95 octane as the super premium.

AL Sunoco's only have 87, 89, and 93 (3 button) or 87, 89, 91 or 93 (4 button) or 87, 89, 93, E85 (4 button).

Last edited:
At 25 psi I would want a 3.5 HT/HS oil.
M1HM 10W30 would give you this as well as the higher ZDDP.

Mobil 1 0W40 would work also.

Shell Rotella T6 5W40 is also an option if you want a littler higher HT/HS.

Amsoil, Motul, and Redline order plenty of boutique options that fit the bill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch
Not sure about AL, but lots of VA Sunocos have 100 octane no-lead.

Is that 100 octane juice labelled "Cam 2 Racing", or as one of the Sunoco unleaded racing fuels??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back