New Chevy Cruze Is Best Small Car GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
has built in a long time.

Quote:
If you're looking for signs of continuous improvement at General Motors (GM) , the 2017 Chevrolet Cruze would be an excellent start.

GM's new compact is arguably the first impressive mass-market small car the No. 1 U.S. automaker has built since the Corvair (apologies to Ralph Nader, who documented flaws in the Corvair in the 1960s). That's quite a statement coming from me after driving dozens of GM small cars over the years from the Chevrolet Cavalier to the Geo Metro to the previous Cruze.

Not only Chevrolet Cruze is pretty good, many Buick sedans are very good too, much better than any GM produced 10-15 years ago.

Quote:
The new Cruze, available now as a sedan and this fall as a hatchback, is winning respectful reviews at a moment when consumers seem to prefer larger SUVs and crossovers. Still, demand for the car is strong, prompting GM last week to announce it is importing Cruzes for the first time from its plant in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico. GM's massive factory Lordstown, Ohio, can't keep up with demand even working three shifts a day.

Dealers like Spitzer Chevrolet near the Lordstown plant said they need more inventory and expect more cars to arrive soon.

Sales for the 2017 Cruze are just beginning. In May, GM sold 16,671 Cruze cars in the U.S., according to Kelley Blue Book, up 17.8% from the same month last year as the automaker closed out the previous year's model.

Don't blame consumers for not buying your inferior products, blame yourself for not producing products your customers want to own. When you have good cars or better than your competitors, you will sell as many as you can make.

Quote:
Sure, most auto enthusiasts still rate the Honda (HMC) Civic and Mazda 3 higher. Reviewers also ding GM for failing to include automatic emergency braking and adaptive cruise control as safety features but most of them give the new Cruze credit for attractive styling, as well as high marks for build quality and adequate power from the 153 horsepower, 1.4-liter turbocharged engine.

I drove the car a few hundred miles and found it to be quiet, responsive, comfortable and attractive, a reasonable alternative to the Hondas and Toyotas my family has owned over the years.

May be not as good, but close enough to extract a lot more customers.

Quote:
The parade of Honda Civics and Accords, and Toyota's (TM) Corollas and Camrys marked the beginning of GM's relative market decline in the 1980s. Detroit executives simply couldn't or wouldn't believe that American consumers preferred Japanese imports, soon to be manufactured in the U.S.

By the time GM realized its mistake, the automaker had shifted its resources to profitable full-size pickups and other variants based on the pickup architecture. Supposedly improved GM small-car models like the Chevrolet Cobalt lagged far behind the Japanese cars, which continued to improve.

I remember in the 80's GM CEO said something like this "There is no problem with GM products, there is problem with American consumers".

GM blamed consumers for buying competitors cars not their. American consumers care most for their pocket, if they can buy a better product for less they will, regardless of where it is made.

Accord, Civic, Corolla, Camry ... of the 80's and 90's were much better than any sub-compact and compact car that Detroit an muster at that time, that why they sold all the were allowed to import into America at that time. American government imposed "volunteered import quota" from Japanese automakers in the 80's till early 90's.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/13608523...&yptr=yahoo

Summary: Build better mousetrap then you will sell as many as you can build. Have lousy mousetrap then file for bankruptcy.

I can't believe a loaded Cruze is 30 grand. 30 grand! That's more than half of the average American's household income before tax, for a 150 horsepower compact car.

Unreal.

Last edited:
I gave GM another chance and bought a new Cruze....I had to trade it in due to coolant loss/odor in the passenger department and typical GM DENIAL there was a problem. No more GM's for my family.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I can't believe a loaded Cruze is 30 grand. 30 grand! That's more than half of the average American's household income before tax, for a 150 horsepower compact car.

Unreal.

Pretty much this! Back 10 years ago you could get a stripped down cavalier with crank windows and a stick shift but still get a decent midsize car ride and legroom in the back. Now they'd rather sell Sporks and Sonics as their entry level car-- no thanks, give me the classic "3 box" body style sedan.

My friend's 2012 Buick Regal went through both rear wheel bearings in under 40K miles and a coworker's 2013 Cruz has been nothing but issues for her. One rear wheel bearing, seized parking brake cable, replaced alternator, and excessive coolant consumption, all before the 50K mile mark. I think I'll pass on GM for now. My coworker recently trader her Cruz in for the new Civic and she loves it, especially with the adaptive cruise control.

Unreal.

We bought our Journey last year for 27 grand. Moonroof, V6, AWD, 3rd row seat, 8.4 uconnect with Nav and the Crossroads package. GM want 3 grand more for a loaded compact. Ha! No thanks.

Starts at $16k and that includes AC, keyless entry, an engine that will actually move the car and all the power options. You have the choice to load it up like a luxury car if that is your preference.

I've had a number of GM cars, all gave great service and I always felt like I got my money's worth.

Unreal.

Opposite side of the spectrum, rebates brought our '13 LS to around $14K or $15K when we bought it new, just from rebates (taxes and negotiations not included). Has been to a shop (dealer) for a thermostat (under warranty) and that's been it for 52K, and it's averaged 37 mpg to boot.

Unreal.

Unreal indeed! This winter I was looking at new cars, sticker shock was an understatement. I didn't check out the Cruze, but I did see a lot of cheaply finished, small, noisy cars for 35k. I ended up buying an 07 Caddy DTS with every option available, including heated, cooled, and massaging seats, DVD player, auto high beams and wipers, park assist, on and on, and feature I am still stumbling across. Rides like a serene cloud, and it gets over 30 mpg at 65mph, and I got 32 at 60MPH. Incredible for a big heavy V8. 68K miles, and I bought it for 9800 the a literal little old lady. It still runs and looks like new. The equalivalent Lexus LS460 (actually a superior car) was 12k more. Yes I will spend more on repairs, but the ride and power from the Northstar wow everyone who rides in it. I guess if it's good enough for the president, its good enough for me.
grin.gif
I'm a little leary of the direct injection engines till they have more of a track record. And I understand the Prius engines are wearing out after 100k because of all the start/stop like a golf cart.

I don't think I would ever buy a new car again, and if mine exploded tomorrow, I'd be searching for another DTS, only in Pearly white this time. They just have that great soft Caddy ride, before they tried making them sports sedans. I drove the new XTS and CT6 for 70K nice cars, maybe I'll buy one if 7 years when there almost worthless. Thank you GM for your incompetence, Low resale value, and you can get "tons" of luxury for your dollar. Now I have more money for fancy oils and additives, and I have to work less, so I have more time to ramble here.

God Bless poor resale value.

After owning a dozen plus Hondas and Acuras I have seen a steady decline in quality and its based around keeping down the prices.
I suspect the less money Americans bring in the worse the QC will be from all makers so that they can keep pricing low.

Originally Posted By: HighViscosity
And I understand the Prius engines are wearing out after 100k because of all the start/stop like a golf cart.

Where did this understanding come from? It couldn't be more wrong. Truth is, you should be more worried about a Cadillac at 100K miles than any Prius at 200K or more.

The verdict is still out on how the Cruz will hold up long term. When the big 3 starts building compacts that will go 300K on a regular basis like the Japanese makes do, then they'll get my consideration, but there's no way in H E double hockey sticks I'm paying anywhere close to $30K for ANY compact...I don't care how it's equipped...

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Actually the only thing I really hate about GM cars is the side post battery.

I think most if not all newer GM vehicles have top post batteries now.

Originally Posted By: grampi
The verdict is still out on how the Cruz will hold up long term. When the big 3 starts building compacts that will go 300K on a regular basis like the Japanese makes do, then they'll get my consideration, but there's no way in H E double hockey sticks I'm paying anywhere close to $30K for ANY compact...I don't care how it's equipped...

Audi A3, BMW 3-series and MB C-class have base price about $30k, plus options it can be as high as mid to high $40k.

If you look at full options of Audi S3, BMW M3 and MB AMG C63 it can be more than $50-60k.

All of the cars above are compact.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: grampi

Audi A3, BMW 3-series and MB C-class have base price about $30k, plus options it can be as high as mid to high $40k.

If you look at full options of Audi S3, BMW M3 and MB AMG C63 it can be more than $50-60k.

All of the cars above are compact.

They're all also considered "premium" brands, unlike the Cruz...though I wouldn't buy any of them either...

GM isn't the only one.

Pretty much ALL modern cars are much more reliable than ones 20 years ago. Also much safer.

The junk we drove in the 80's was terrible.

As for $30k Cruze's. Shop around, there are high volume dealers that dump these things for steep discounts every end of model year, just like every other GM car.

Drove one for a couple weeks as a loaner, would not buy because I did not like the seating position. Too small for me.

Would not buy a turbo GM economy car either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back