Why is 5k the standard for conventional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is 5k miles the standard OCI for conventional oil?

Where did the number come from? It seems a bit arbitrary to me. Especially now since people complain of the line between conventional oils and synthetics being blurred.

As far as I know some Chrysler vehicles spec 8k oil changes on conventional. Are Chryslers "easy on the oil" or are other manufacturers just being conservative, and getting you in more often for those dealer oil changes?

Apparently UOA'S show that's about the point where conventional oils are used up. Some may be able to do their job longer, but the cost of doing uOA's to see if they will, will exceed the cost of an oil change.,,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Apparently UOA'S show that's about the point where conventional oils are used up. Some may be able to do their job longer, but the cost of doing uOA's to see if they will, will exceed the cost of an oil change.,,,

Many dinos can go further but it is dependent on engine and driving habits.

That, and it is easy to remember. With most modern oils the 5k oil change is probably going the same way as the 3k oil change. Or at least it should.

Except for DI turbos....

It's going to depend on the driving that is typical. Obviously, most cars doing 75-90% highway could probably go farther than 5K. For mixed driving, 5K if very reasonable to me as oil isn't particularly expensive...

My 1994 Lexus LS400 recommended 7.5k for dino 5W30. 5k wasn't the standard for conventional oil ever, some manufactures may recommend 5k but not all.

Normal conditions is 10k for my Honda. I change about every 5-7500 and run cheap syns or conventional. Severe service is 5k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
My 1994 Lexus LS400 recommended 7.5k for dino 5W30. 5k wasn't the standard for conventional oil ever, some manufactures may recommend 5k but not all.

What? Where does it say that in the owner's manual? I own a LS460 and the recommended oil changing interval is 5,000 miles.

8,000 mi on Chryslers is a Maximum if the OLM concurs not a recommended interval.

Ford's are 10,000 miles if IOLM concurs but 5,000 miles of IOLM is accidently reset.

5,000 miles is a fairly safe generic interval on most newer cars if you don't know the driving conditions, capacity and how hard a particular engine is on oil.

That said the 5.0 DOHC Ford can easily go 12,000 miles on conventional in some applications but I wouldn't try it on a VW Turbo.

I'm not entirely sure, to be honest. I can only offer that my 2013 fiesta states a 10K mile interval for conventional as a blanket statement and offers that if you are doing commercial or "severe" service you should install a hour meter and change at 300 Hours.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
The 5k interval is where the conventional oil technology is today.
Or more.

20 years ago, Honda recommended 7500 miles, and only changing the filter every *other* OCI! And this was on SG/SH dino 20 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Ford's are 10,000 miles if IOLM concurs but 5,000 miles of IOLM is accidently reset.

My mother's Mercury Milan hybrid tripped at 5K, at about one year. It's spec's any 5W-20 but has used synthetic its entire life...

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna

+1

A 5 quart bottle of Chevron Supreme is only $11.77 at Walmart. There's no reason to run that out to 5K unless you got some serious financial issues.

It started with 500 miles oci in the 20's, 2k miles i the 50's 3k in the 60's and 70's. 5k in the 90's and now ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
A 5 quart bottle of Chevron Supreme is only $11.77 at Walmart. There's no reason to run that out to 5K unless you got some serious financial issues.

I'd run it 7500 or 6-8 months whichever comes first.

Originally Posted By: doublebase
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

What? Where does it say that in the owner's manual? I own a LS460 and the recommended oil changing interval is 5,000 miles.

Your LS460 is fairly new, after 2005-2006 right ?

I am talking about 1994 LS400, I sold the car few months ago, otherwise I could make a copy of the maintenance page and post it here.

One think I forgot to mention was 7500 miles was for non-severe driving condition.

This is post on a Lexus club:

Quote:
Directly from my 1999 Owners Manual Supplement:

"OIL CHANGE INTERVALS - The maintenance schedule log book has been designed to provide you with the flexibility to allow either 5,000 or 7,500 mile oil change intervals depending on your circumstances.

Use 5,000 mile oil change intervals to help ensure proper engine lubrication under most driving conditions or if you primarily operate your Lexus under the "special operating conditions" described on page 70.

Use 7,500 mile oil change intervals if you primarily operate your Lexus under light, non commercial duty for distances greater than 5 miles in temperate climates (above freezing and below 90)."

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/54033-oil-change-interval/

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back