Where to Shop for Replacement Tires by CR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consumer Report has this advice "We advise you to begin shopping when your tires still have some tread left, typically 4/32" of tread depth—about the distance between George Washington's head on a quarter to the edge of the coin. That’s the time to call or visit your favorite tire store to see that it has—or will be able to get—the tire you want. Having that extra time to research and shop is a better alternative than rushing to get your bald tires replaced with whatever the store might have on hand."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/where-shop-replacement-tires-100042899.html

I think this is common sense, with some time to do research you will get better tires and possibly for less money. Buying replacement tires when they are on sale is probably the best way to save some coins.

Last edited:
I mean it takes me like 20 minutes to find out that continental still has by far the best all season and summer tires for the price each time I have to put new tires on... then 10 minutes to make an appointment for some time in the next week on discount tire's website. I don't know why I'd start looking when my tires have months of life left.

The article could have combined planning ahead with shopping at times when discounts and rebates are at their most generous.

Whoever wrote this wasn't an expert.

Originally Posted By: macarose
The article could have combined planning ahead with shopping at times when discounts and rebates are at their most generous.

Whoever wrote this wasn't an expert.

This article is talking about shopping for tire in general, they emphasized the advantages(and disadvantages) of each type. Discount(s) and rebate(s) are mostly chain/store specific and CR doesn't like to endorse any particular chain so they let out the discount(s).

Morons around here wait until fall to buy new all-seasons because that summer is "free". Then they pay full price.

Why not buy on a Memorial Day sale then *not mount* the tires until fall? Mounting costs the same either way-- and if your shop won't take your $18/ corner for bring-in tires (or their own tires bought months earlier), go somewhere else.

This doesn't even bring snow tires into the equation.

Planning for an upcoming several hundred dollar tire purchase seems wise and CR's advice is intended for those typical drivers who have no idea how long they have left on their tires.
If someone is made aware that they'll need new tires in the next few months, they can then figure out what they want and begin shopping for best deal on price combined with the MIRs often offered by makers like Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, General and Cooper.
No law says that you must eke the last few thousand miles out of a set of tires and a little planning will yield a better tire at a better price.
CR is only encouraging readers to plan ahead.

I wouldnt want to run much less than 4/32 about 9 months out of the year here.

I understand what the article is about and I think their approach was reasonable.

However, there are times during the year when tires are available for a lot less money. It would have been wise to include that information because this discount can make all the difference between purchasing excellent tires versus mediocre ones.

If you're a CR subscriber, saving money by spending well is a critical ingredient in the shopping recipe. They should revise the article and add that insight.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I wouldnt want to run much less than 4/32 about 9 months out of the year here.

Because you have some rainy days in summer which we don't in Southern California therefore we can run my tire all the way down to less than 1/32" from Spring to Fall.

I really mean it, I had rear tires of my S2000 down to zero tread, totally flat across the tire. The car was actually had better/faster cornering speed with bald rear tires.

Of course it had more grip.
Less tread=less voided area=more rubber on the road=better grip
There's a reason for racing tires having an absence of tread where allowed in the dry.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Of course it had more grip.
Less tread=less voided area=more rubber on the road=better grip
There's a reason for racing tires having an absence of tread where allowed in the dry.

I can do it in So Cal because we have no chance of any measurable amount of rain from May till November. You can't in Ohio because you may have some rainy days in summer months. Bald tire is a big NO-NO when the street is wet.

OT: Since we have no rain for 7-8 months I remove the windshield wipers from my cars and store it in garage. This is 1 of the reasons my replacement wipers lasted more than 3-4 years. The OEM wipers with new cars lasted up to 6-7 years.

Last edited:
Yeah, we usually have quite dry weather from about this date on out to September, but the dry spell will be punctuated with the occasional thunderstorm inspired deluge.
I'd hate to be out on slicks when the July sky offers a 4:00 PM shower through which you can barely see to drive, yet continuing is probably safer than trying to safely pull off the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back