How to make asphalt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to make some to lay down with gravel chips for about 10' of driveway. I have plenty of used oil.

35.gif

IMO you should have a professional company do it, and properly recycle your used oil.

Think its made with bitumen.

Don't see how you could make it with used oil, unless you have a whole lot of it and the use of an oil refinery.

When I was a kid the village I lived in hired someone to repave a street. Somehow they didn't do it right, and it all crumbled and turned into a tar covered mess. Village had to dump sand on it. So I can't imagine a DIY project trying to make it.

As a kid growing up in a rural area, the town decided to pave our road using crude oil and sand. Quite simply, they used a truck to spread crude oil via a set of pipes and drilled holes. It smelled like gasoline/diesel/kerosene/ashpalt and just about every other petro-chemical you can think of. The oil was a deep brown color, guessing it came from local wells.

Anyway, the truck "oiled" the road, then the sand spreader "backed up" over spreading sand. It was a god-awful mess and as I mentioned, it stunk to high-heaven.

We were told not to drive on it. However, being a mile down the road, meant we probably would not survive walking on it!

Eventually, the lighter fractions would evaporate and sand/oil would form a very smooth "pavement". It was quite unlike today's asphalt roads with gravel. This stuff was really smooth.

It did not hold up well. Each winter, the deterioration was amazing and the potholes were legendary.

Sand_Oil.jpg

Also, the oil/sand mix got all over our cars and shoes. Where it became difficult to remove. Even the dog's paws were coated. Not good.

Last edited:
Just to be clear... They just chipped the road here. They lay down hot tar and then spread small limestone chips on it. It's not your typical "asphalt" as in a highway.

They run a powered sweeper along first to clear out any debris. They did this to the driveway apron and swept away what tar and chips was already there.

There is still a base in some spots but others it is down to the gravel. Was thinking of some foundation coating high in hydrocarbons. Then some gravel on top.

YrdIVcM.jpg

Bitumen for paving does not leach into the water.

The fine for using used motor oil if you get caught is huge, but tiny compared to the remeditation company that comes in to remove your homemade asphalt and replace all the soil.

Rod

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
Bitumen for paving does not leach into the water.

The fine for using used motor oil if you get caught is huge, but tiny compared to the remeditation company that comes in to remove your homemade asphalt and replace all the soil.

Rod
Not going to happen here......

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
What about roofing tar you can buy in buckets at home depot?
That's an idea. Thanks

Looking at most of them they have a fiber in them. But this foundation coating is actually called liquid asphalt.

1531604.jpg

Here's the breakdown of that product. Menards has it on sale at 11% rebate.

Hazard Not Otherwise Classified (HNOC)
Not applicable
3. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Chemical Name CAS Number Weight %
Asphalt 8052-42-4 50-85% by weight
Mineral Spirits 8052-41-3 10-40% by weight

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
What about roofing tar you can buy in buckets at home depot?
That's an idea. Thanks

Why not just buy the asphalt at Home Depot? They also sell them in bags, it'd take a lot of bags though. I bet it's probably cheaper to just call up a company and ask them how much a cubic yard would cost delivered. Then you can do your own labor of spreading it and leveling it out.

I don't want typical asphalt paving as I would not be able to get it thick enough. It already has a base of some tar and chip.

I think I get another bucket of the foundation coating, sweep it clean and apply some used oil to soften the tar then pour the coating and coat with chips.

The product you should use is called driveway sealer.

Used motor oil is wholly unsuitable for any phase of this project. It will only make a mess. There were scammers who would pretend to apply driveway sealer, but use used motor oil instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back