new, non-current FI. any concern about clogged

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at a couple of different new non current bikes in the 2012-2014 range. Is there any concern that an injector might be clogged from sitting that long?

If they're new 12 to 14 models, and you can get a great deal on one, I wouldn't be too concerned as I'm assuming they will be sold at a dealer, and have a factory warranty. On the other hand, If you don't keep it long, you will have a 2 to 4 year old bike the day you buy it. What brand are you considering?

Last edited:
If it isn't clogged, and it probably shouldn't be if new, just run some PEA based cleaner through it. Redline or Gumout with REGANE. A few tankfuls will help clean any gunk out.

my understanding is a dealer wouldn't have filled the tank until sold. fuel used by the factory (for start-up testing, etc) would be suitable for that type of storage duration.

Originally Posted By: pb
my understanding is a dealer wouldn't have filled the tank until sold. fuel used by the factory (for start-up testing, etc) would be suitable for that type of storage duration.

Hopefully. When I bought my Speedmaster, the dealer gassed up the wrong bike. I got 2 blocks down the road and the gas light came on. Had to turn around since they were out in the middle of nowhere in a "town" of 100 people with no gas station. So some other bike got a full tank of gas and sat on the floor for who knows how long.

Last edited:
If the thing runs so badly you can't tell if it's a clogged injector or normal operation of the engine, look elsewhere.

If your buying from a reputable dealer they usually test ride the bike before handing it over. A 5 mile test ride would show a bad running motor, and they would have to fix it before they asked you to sign the papers.,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back