Change Fram Ultra ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mileage on unit: 126,493
Mileage on oil: 2,868
Mileage on Fram XG3387A filter: 3,749

I'm thinking about changing the oil pretty soon because it getting dark on the dipstick. I know it's less than 3000 miles, but it's been in there since October 14, 2015 and the dark oil makes me worry.

Would you guys leave the filter on there for another OCI ?

DSCN1920_zpsue09nbbj.jpg

No, I would replace the oil filter with every oil change. Otherwise, you will behind 1/4 to 1/3-quart of oil - and this would cause your new oil to be darker (than if you had replaced the filter). You do want your oil to look clean, right?
56.gif

Well, I do pull the filter off to drain the filter mount, but there's still a little bit of oil left in the filter I suppose. That silicone ADBV works pretty good I noticed; it doesn't let any oil drain out of the filter.

Less than 3,000 miles in 8 months? My god Merk, do you even leave the house LOL. Stretch that Buick's legs!

October, wasn't that when you put in the Quaker State? I thought you drained that and put in your Super Tech Synthetic?

Dark oil means it's doing it's job, cleaning and suspending contaminates. But since it's been in there for 8 mos. it definitely wouldn't hurt to get fresh stuff in there. I never leave oil in a vehicle longer than a year, regardless of miles.

Is that a Buick LeSabre? I always loved changing oil on those, one of the easiest cars to do! Wish they were all like that.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Is that a Buick LeSabre? I always loved changing oil on those, one of the easiest cars to do! Wish they were all like that.

Yes and you're right, it's a piece-a-cake.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Well, I do pull the filter off to drain the filter mount, but there's still a little bit of oil left in the filter I suppose. That silicone ADBV works pretty good I noticed; it doesn't let any oil drain out of the filter.

Stick some Q-tips bent in half (fuzzy ends outside the filter) into 3 or 4 of the base plate holes to open up the ADBV and let the filter drain base down into a funnel for awhile. That will get most of the oil out of the filter.

As reference, just pulled an XG3614 after ~14000 miles, 2ocis and 32 months on a 3.4L Tacoma. Never drained the filter in between. Dissected filter looks good. Got the ROI on the Ultra I was looking for.

For me no brainer here, change the oil if you must, leave the Ultra on and at least get some ROI. That said, I'd think oil good till October or 5k miles minimum. I wouldn't mess with pulling the filter to drain or trying to get oil out of filter, chance to damage adbv doing the latter.

Not sure what pic of the Ultra supposed to show/prove, looks like any other Ultra exterior.

Merk - you know better - that FU is good for 15000 miles.

You also know better on the oil...please take a sample and send it in for a UOA. I bet it shows it is in fine condition (despite the darkening color) and can be used a lot longer!

If you're worried about "saving" this filter, why dont you just save money and go with the Extra Guard next time?

Your car won't know the difference and the only difference you'll see is an orange paint can rather than a gold one.

As far as that oil, you could easily do some recycled ST synthetic fills for all your push mowers.
laugh.gif

Hey it's only money, if it makes you feel better at the end of the day change it. I know I've changed out a couple Ultra's at 5K myself. The oil getting darker is a good thing, but like I said, if it makes you feel better at the end of the day...

BTW, I'm super jealous of that undercarriage! You could eat off of that; here in PA it would be a little (or alot!) crispy.

Leave it on. If those are all the miles you do, I would use it for 2 more years and then switch to an Orange Can O' Delight.

Or just remove it now. Bet ya can't go the two years.

I'd leave it on....it should be fine for a couple of more 3K OCI's (which I think are a waste using synthetic oil).

I'm never switching to an orange can. The only Fram I'll use is an XG. Seems like a waste to take it off now when I've seen pictures of them with 10,000 miles racked up and they still look like new....

For a more modern FI car, extend the OCI out to the October, then change everything. If we're talking a carbed Buick I'm not sure I'd be comfortable going a full year with the increased risk of fuel dilution.

Nobody has mentioned the filter's gasket being squished and thermally cycled.
Is it OK to simply screw an old filter back on?
FOMOTO should make an add-on filter drain valve.

Agreed- I pulled off a 10K XG3614 and it looked new inside and out and you're just wasting money and resources. I suspect these things could go further than 20K

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
As reference, just pulled an XG3614 after ~14000 miles, 2ocis and 32 months on a 3.4L Tacoma. Never drained the filter in between. Dissected filter looks good. Got the ROI on the Ultra I was looking for.

For me no brainer here, change the oil if you must, leave the Ultra on and at least get some ROI. That said, I'd think oil good till October or 5k miles minimum. I wouldn't mess with pulling the filter to drain or trying to get oil out of filter, chance to damage adbv doing the latter.

Not sure what pic of the Ultra supposed to show/prove, looks like any other Ultra exterior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back