Inspiration from everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before the internet, I got my inspiration to work on my own cars from friends who would come over while I was working on cars or from talking to friends who were also working on cars. Working on cars by myself for a few hours can get pretty boring.

Now that most of my friends are married and living different lives, I don't see them that often or talk to them as often as when I was in my younger years. Thank goodness I am able to access this forum and read about all of the repair experiences everyone on here is going through. This forum gives me the inspiration to know that there are other people around who are keeping their cars alive and well. I'm not alone and appreciate everyone here. THANKS!!!!

We're out there. I just finished replacing the high pressure hose from my power steering pump to rack on my PT Cruiser. It was an interesting job, things are really packed in tight these days. I had to use some creativity to get to the fittings.

Things have changed. I was lucky to catch the tail end of the "service station on the corner" days. A lot of us learned a lot working at the corner gas station in the old days. You'd get done school and head over to your part-time job, mostly pumping gas, but also fixing flats, doing oil changes and even repairing cars (of course you worked on your own car quite a bit). It was an education in itself. I suspect many young men learned how to take care of mechanical things (and got a good dose of self confidence) at the corner garage. I'm a little sorry not to see those opportunities for the young folks today. On the other hand, DIY parts stores have proliferated and the Internet is a great resource. Time goes on.

Swaps were the best. While in med school (ie no money) I was rebuilding the master cylinder on my Chevy II. I took it to my local mechanic to hone (I didn't have a hone, still don't). The mechanic was having trouble getting the lights working on a customer's trailer. While I was waiting, I sorted out one light (it was a simple corrosion/grounding problem) so he asked me to do the others while he honed my master cylinder. No money changed hands and I had my master cylinder honed. Don't suppose the customer cared which one of us solved his problem.

It might have looked kind of funny though (the customer was there when I arrived with my master cylinder under my arm) but he was soon driving away with working lights.

The modern approach would be "customers are not allowed in the work area."

PS I later became the physician for that mechanic's family.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Some people look under the hood of their new car and then start looking for a new hobby.
Well said. I've been working on cars since I was 10 yrs old. I opened the hood on the Camry, I think I can put windshield juice in it without help. I haven't done a lick of work on it. I'm lost in that engine bay. Doesn't even look like an engine. I'll stick to old BMWs and Fords. " A man has to know his limitations"
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back