Wanna replace my ContiProContacts on my Civic, but

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I would love to replace the mediocore at best OEM Continental Pro Contacts 205/55/16 89H on my 2015 Civic EX Sedan. Even though I just have 10,300 miles on them, they are loud and not great in rain.
I am looking for a Grand Touring ALL Season that will be a HUGE improvement over the Conti, BUT still give my the same gas mileage!
I have read that you must be very careful to get and EXACT spec match as the OEM, including tire weight, otherwise you will see a decrease in gas mileage.
With that said, I am looking at either the Pirelli Cinturato P7 PLUS or the General Altimax RT43. Would either of these tires be a huge improvement and NOT adversely effect my gas mileage??

Thanks

Check out the Cooper CS5 Grand Touring. It's an 80,000 mile tire. Did fantastic on the wifes RWD grand marquis she had. Excellent in the snow and rain. Whisper quite on the highway.

My malibu came with pro contacts 215/60/16's im at 7-8/32 with about 12k on them. Yes they are a bit loud but good in the rain. My next set will be continental true contact's. Thoes tires were amazing in the snow and rain on my old impala. Also a 90k tire.

+1 for CS5 Ultra, they are great tires. I have them on my Civic, they run great in the rain and are super quiet. I have no idea about matching the OE tire weight, I bought my Civic used, it had 31,000 miles on it and the first thing I did with it was replace the off-brand tires it had with the CS5's. I track my MPG on Fuelly and routinely get 32 to 34 mixed highway and city driving.

First, if you want to make improvements in traction and/or wear, you are not going to get the same fuel economy. Why? Because there is a technology triangle involving those 3 properties and improvements in one area require the sacrifice in another area (or both)

Next, it is very likely that Honda specified a low rolling resistance tire, while only specifying moderate amounts of wear and traction. Plus, it is common for the Japanese vehicle manufacturers to have low traction tires - and I suspect that is because they test in Japan where the testing surfaces are different than they are in the US. They just don't realize how poorly those tires work in certain parts of the US.

Plus, weight is only a small component in the RR picture. It's the tread compound itself that is by far the biggest factor. Not to mention, that there are components of a tire that contribute to the weight, but have no affect on fuel economy. In other words, don't bother looking at weight. It won't get you where you want to go.

Further, the term LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) is a relative term. It means, better RR compared to other tires of similar traction and wear properties. It does NOT necessarily mean good fuel economy.

So be prepared for a hit to your fuel economy - and maybe a very big hit - no matter what tire you change to (except the same exact tire, of course)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
My malibu came with pro contacts 215/60/16's im at 7-8/32 with about 12k on them. Yes they are a bit loud but good in the rain. My next set will be continental true contact's. Thoes tires were amazing in the snow and rain on my old impala. Also a 90k tire.

I've got the true contacts on my Civic and couldn't be happier. I'll probably use these on the Foz, when the time comes.

OP, the pro contacts are not known for poor wet performance, so far as I know. Could you elaborate?

Originally Posted By: flinter
gather,

The True Contacts are NOT available in the size for my Civic EX

They have the pure contacts in your size. Made similar to the tru contacts. Ive put them on customer cars before and they seem to like them. 80k tire

My top pics for you:
Kumho Solus TA71
Dunlop Signature II
Dunlop Signature HP
Cooper CS5 Ultra
Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max, for the maximum fuel economy

The RT43 is a favorite on here.

If you're willing to use separate summer and winter tires, there is the Falken Ziex ZE914 EcoRun (a summer tire). You can probably afford two sets of tires since you can afford a new car
smile.gif

I put a set of the Generals on my Cruze about 10k ago, and there has been a signifcant decrease in mpg. Normally averaged 33-34, now I'm lucky to get 30. They replaced the OEM Firestones. I never believed a tire could make such a difference.

Thanks!

How would the Cooper CS5 Ultra compare to either the Altimax RT43 and the Conti Pure Contact for my 2015 Civic EX?

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I put a set of the Generals on my Cruze about 10k ago, and there has been a signifcant decrease in mpg. Normally averaged 33-34, now I'm lucky to get 30. They replaced the OEM Firestones. I never believed a tire could make such a difference.

Was it specifically the RT43 or another General tire?

Thanks!

How would the Cooper CS5 Ultra compare to either the Altimax RT43 and the Conti Pure Contact for my 2015 Civic EX?

I don't know how the CS5 compares to other tires, I drove a pickup truck for 10 years before buying my Honda back in February so car tires are somewhat of a big change for me. However I can say the CS5's are a great tire. They run super quiet, the only time I hear any noise at all is on bad roads or rough asphalt. MPG is very good with super traction and handling/ride quality. They run just as well in the rain too, which we get a lot of rain here in Florida. They did not take any crazy amount of weight to balance either. The CS5 is a great tire for any economy passenger car.

If you care about handling, don't get the RT43s. They turn your car into mush, which isn't a problem for me since I drive a beater Toyota Camry.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

The RT43.

gather,

The True Contacts are NOT available in the size for my Civic EX

Sorry about that; I'm running one size up PURE Contacts (205/60R16)

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

The RT43.

it seems a bit drastic but the RT43 is not a LRR tire. So MPGs going down a bit should have been expected.

I have a 2010 Honda Civic LX 5 speed coupe with the RT43's. I commute 57 miles 1 way to work and it is all highway but here is my ave mpg.
DSC00079.JPG

[ [/quote]

it seems a bit drastic but the RT43 is not a LRR tire. So MPGs going down a bit should have been expected. [/quote]

Plus, most any new tire will result in lower MPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back