265/70/17 - A/T & snow use - Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about the pull the trigger on a set of LT265/70/R17 tires for my 1985 Ford F-250, and still debating the different options, was hoping you folks could help.

I'm trying to keep price in mind, while getting a decent tire that will last a reasonably long time. Vehicle usage is about 15-20k per year, primarily in snowy/icy wintertime conditions. I need an "E" load rating, as the truck is used for towing/hauling at least a few times in the spring/summer.

My current set are Michelin LTX AT2, which have been decent, though the tread blocks were not as robust as I would have liked-- There is a lot of pitting and gouging in the tread (essentially pieces broke off, especially later in the tire's life) which is surprising as my off-road use is mostly limited to semi-maintained Colorado back roads. I don't do any real 4-wheeling as it's a long wheelbase truck and a pain to maneuver. Other than that, the truck is driven mostly highway.

I've seen great reviews for Treadwright (remolded/retread tires) in A/T types and M/T. That's my first choice, but wanted to see what others thought. I don't think I have a real need for a M/T tread, unless it will help with the tread pitting issue. Would like some guidance on the A/T vs M/T advantages/disadvantages. The other interesting choice I have found is a snow/All-Terrain Hybrid by Cooper: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct...d=17&cs=265.

Has anyone used these? I think that would be a great option for the way I use this truck, even though it will cost about $30 more per tire over the retreads.

I'm interested in hearing other recommended tires based on others' experience as well. Trying to keep the price around $150-175 per tire (shipped), but would be willing to spend more if I got some decent return on the extra investment. Thanks in advance for any help/input you can provide.

New model it replaces the well liked yokohama geolandar A/T-S
Snowflake rating
yo_geo_at_g015_owl_lt_pdpcrop.jpg

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A%2FT+G015&sidewall=Outlined%20White%20Letters&partnum=67SR7G015OWL&tab=Sizes

Even more winter oriented

Cooper A-TW
DiscovererATW.png

PS Mud tires are horrible in winter. and AT types without siping are also quite bad in anything except deep snow.

Are Cooper ST Maxx out of the price range you were thinking?
The problem with "full depth" syping, is off-road, stones can drill through.
I was thinking instead, 255/80/17, just over an inch taller than what you have now at 10X33.
If you have 1/2 inch of clearance at full crank, these will fit, but cause a 3% speedo error.
The ultimate, but expensive Toyo CT and Nitto equivalent 3 ply side wall, are on my good list as are Hankook RW-11s.
Around here, the best seller for deep snow is Goodyear Wrangler Dura-Trac.
If you are chipping Michelin ATs, you must be driving on shale.
That high altitude Rocky Mountain, lives up to it's name.

Last edited:
OP said primary use is in winter conditions with snow and ice.

Therefore, my recommendation of tires that are good in snow and ice.

If you dont want a winter oriented tire, Cooper A/T3 are excellent tires and ok in the winter.

Anything resembling a mud tire will be AWFUL in the winter.

Mud tires will dig and do well in deep snow, but have very few biting edges for traction on ice or packed snow.

Nokian Rotiva AT is another choice.

in the remolds... too bad the Green Diamonds didn't catch on. But other manufacturers have emulated its traction technology

Remolds and re-tread tires would be OK if you know the tire case is up to the task.
Case age can become a factor as some treads will last double the original tire life.
Here is Bandag's site, look at products> BDR-AS & BDR-W.
Been there done that on LT tires with 3-ply side wall construction only.
Don't expect a perfect balance or a smooth quiet ride.

http://www.bandag.com/en-us/index

Last edited:
Discount tire has their Pathfinder Sport S A/T tire for $144 in that size.
E rating, A/T tire, Snow tire rating, 60,000 mile warranty. Sounds like what you want.

t_20150312.kpbva2.xl.jpg

I have them on my F150 and they are great. Not noisy at all, ride smooth and have good wet and dry traction (no idea on snow around here).
They are the same tire as the Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61, just with a different name on the sidewall.
May be able to get a good deal on the at DTD for the 4th of July sale too.

I'm running these coopers on my F150. Awesome in the winter and seem to be holding up pretty good in the summer towing the 5th wheel around. They do have a bit of a humm at highway speeds, but not as bad at a set of mudders or M55's. The price was right too, $800 plus a $70 mail In rebate for a set of 275/70R18, not bad for Canada lol

Originally Posted By: Rand
New model it replaces the well liked yokohama geolandar A/T-S
Snowflake rating
yo_geo_at_g015_owl_lt_pdpcrop.jpg

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A%2FT+G015&sidewall=Outlined%20White%20Letters&partnum=67SR7G015OWL&tab=Sizes

Even more winter oriented

Cooper A-TW
DiscovererATW.png

PS Mud tires are horrible in winter. and AT types without siping are also quite bad in anything except deep snow.

It sounds like you should probably just run a dedicated snow/ice tire
21.gif
What percentage of your mileage is actually during the warmer months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back