Savings acct vs checking acct

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a large savings account at my main bank. What I've often wondered,is there any real world advantage to having a savings account? I was just thinking of moving it all to my regular checking account. Any pros and cons to either?

Savings accounts typically offer higher interest rates compared to checking accounts. Savings accounts also typically limit the number of transactions per month/quarter/some time period.

Depending on how much it is, a money market savings account can get your more interest.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Savings accounts typically offer higher interest rates compared to checking accounts. Savings accounts also typically limit the number of transactions per month/quarter/some time period.

Depending on how much it is, a money market savings account can get your more interest.

Do money market savings accounts limit the number of transactions like the general savings accounts?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I have a large savings account at my main bank. What I've often wondered,is there any real world advantage to having a savings account? I was just thinking of moving it all to my regular checking account. Any pros and cons to either?

A "large" account would imply over $100k. Somewhere around or not much above $100k, FDIC stops insuring against loss, so is probably the right practical limit.

Savings accounts have poor interest rates, but they give something. 0.75-1% currently.

To "protect us" against terrorism and laundering, savings accounts are now limited to six transactions per month. However, really, how many more does one practically need? I find it a stupid regulation, but its not enough to get me particularly worked up over.

There's reason to have both and I would never give one up to just have the other.

I wouldn't worry about it now because soon the banks will have negative interest rates and it will cost you to put money in the bank.

FDIC is $250K and if you have a joint account its $500K

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

A "large" account would imply over $100k. Somewhere around or not much above $100k, FDIC stops insuring against loss, so is probably the right practical limit.

Savings accounts have poor interest rates, but they give something. 0.75-1% currently.

To "protect us" against terrorism and laundering, savings accounts are now limited to six transactions per month. However, really, how many more does one practically need? I find it a stupid regulation, but its not enough to get me particularly worked up over.

There's reason to have both and I would never give one up to just have the other.

+1 to the poster who mentioned that your money in a savings account is a little safer than in your checking since you checking account is a bit more "exposed" due to debit cards, checks, etc.

If you have substantial savings and you don't have a need for lots of liquid cash (i.e. soon to purchase a home, business, car, etc) you should dump more cash into a 401k (IRS $18k year max) or open up a Roth IRA ($5,500 year max if you're under 50 yrs old).

Your typical Roth IRA from a decent investor should be able to get you a somewhat stable 5-7% rate of return. I personally prefer Vanguard due to their low maintenance fees (less than 1%) and you can easily buy and sell into different funds for low fees.

Having a huge bank balance with interest rates being what they are isn't the best financial sense. Gotta look at that money instead as an investment opportunity to see decent returns - interest rates on standard checking accounts being what they are. Right now money sitting in a bank is losing value based on inflation.

Do money market savings accounts limit the number of transactions like the general savings accounts?

Yes they do.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Might be the fact that nobody can steal your checks and burn your money in a savings account!

They don't have to steal your checks, they just have to see one. All they need is the routing number and account number to drain the account through ACH.

What kind of overdraft protection does your checking account have?

A lot of financial institutions you can setup overdraft protection, where if you don't have enough in checking, savings will be transferred to checking to cover your overdraft...

and just don't have all your accounts at one bank. Have some accounts that cannot be ACH'ed withdrawn, passbook only. Get MoneyPass and mutiple accounts at mutiple banks, for free ATM access with no fees

Have multiple accounts at several banks, internet banks, Savings and Loans, and credit unions.
I love banks that are State chartered, where you have voting rights as a member, I don't like Federal(National) banks.

...and I do not believe we will see negative rates, like that one poster said. Really depends on the next Presidential administration, if we elect a person that gets things done, or not...

In a negative rate situation, like in Japan, instead of the bank paying you interest, you pay the bank a fee to hold YOUR money. Household safes are booming as it better to buy a safe and keep cash at HOME rather in a Japanese bank. Crazy.

Last edited:
We keep a fair amount in several savings accounts-we have our more liquid funds such as our vehicle account, home emergency repair account, and general emergency account all in savings accounts. They are not as readily available as checking, but still accessible in the event that we need them. When it comes time to purchase another vehicle (or should we need a major repair) we can simply transfer the money into the checking account. Same with an emergency home repair (storm damage for example). We can quickly have funds available to our checking account to emergency expenses, we know exactly how much we have in each savings account, and when we've built up the savings account to levels that are higher than we'll ever need we can easily transfer the excess to longer-term investments with higher interest rates.

Somewhere around or not much above $100k, FDIC stops insuring against loss, so is probably the right practical limit.

Try again. FDIC Insurance

Originally Posted By: FDIC
FDIC deposit insurance covers the depositors of a failed FDIC-insured depository institution dollar-for-dollar, principal plus any interest accrued or due to the depositor, through the date of default, up to at least $250,000 per depositor.

For example, my wife could have $250,000 as a depositor, and I could have $250,000 as a depositor, and our entire $500,000 would be covered by FDIC in the event of a bank failure.

To "protect us" against terrorism and laundering, savings accounts are now limited to six transactions per month.

Regulation D only applies to specific types of transactions. Incoming transactions are not limited, and Regulation D does not place the six-time transfer limit on outbound savings or money market account transactions initiated in person, via messenger or mail, over-the-counter withdrawals and transfers, ATM withdrawals and transfers, or installment loan repayments.

There is a whopping $25 billion in the FDIC insurance fund. There is about $9,000 billion in total US deposits.

It's something, but I would not put my "full faith and credit" into that!!!

I would think a brokerage account would pay more than a bank, especially if put into a high dividend investment. Credit Union will usually pay a bit more also.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I would think a brokerage account would pay more than a bank, especially if put into a high dividend investment. Credit Union will usually pay a bit more also.

Unfortunately, with a money market mutual fund that gives immediate liquidity to an account the management fees currently eat up all of the return because I was recently looking to find a higher return on my cash balance.

A savings account gets you a slight bit of interest compared to your average checking account.

If you wanted to make a bit more interest, you would put the funds into a MMA, or a CD.
With a CD, you can't touch the funds for a certain time period, but you can always open up several cd's in different amounts, and in different time periods.

BC.

It's 250K per account...so if for example, you have proceeds from a home sale of 295K, then you have 250K in one account and 45K placed in another account that might need to be set up. I did that when I sold my condo ten years ago.

If you have 350K all in one account then there's 100K that would potentially be vulnerable. In actuality, FDIC insurance is funded to only a small percentage of total deposits ( and it's better than it was ), so a much greater financial meltdown than we experienced in 2008 might be catastrophic in terms of access to your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back