Why Kmart is going under.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart is driving them out of business just like they do all the mom and pop stores.

Sears is being by people who understand finance but not retail.

I believe Sears will end up with a Craftsman, Kenmore and DieHard brands and sell them at other stores like they have done already with Ace and Craftsman. They then have no need for stores.

Sears does sell a lot, about $36B in revenue, but it's costs are close to $38B.

The Lawn & Garden/Tools manager at local Sears is now store manager at HF.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Despite their faults, Walmart & Target have left many of the other large retailers in the dust.

01.gif

Best to drive station wagons to them, to haul all the score.

K-Mart is run down garbage.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
Walmart is driving them out of business just like they do all the mom and pop stores.
Amazon is driving them under. Walmart isn't any better than K Mart.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Back in the early 90's it was a good store lots of deals then they merged with rip off sears..

It was my go-to store in the mid-Seventies for car supplies, oil and filters, cleaning products, you name it.

Originally Posted By: car51
SEARS & K MART near me both closing June 28 so I am gonna go check for oil deals
smile.gif

You'll more than likely be surprised to see the prices not go down much, possibly even increase once the big closeout signs go up. Our local K-Mart just closed up and everything was marked as a sale item with newly increased prices, everything left at the end was packed in trucks and shipped to another store to be sold at regular retail. They rely on the big closeout ads and signage to draw people in but the sales are just for getting people in the door, actual prices hadn't changed.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

The one thing Amazon can't do is let the customer see the products and touch them...not only that the biggest advantage to B&M stores is that of returning things....usually it is just easier to hop in the car drive a few minutes to the store and return the item, instead of shipping things back which often times cost substantial money unless the item is defective.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

The one thing Amazon can't do is let the customer see the products and touch them...not only that the biggest advantage to B&M stores is that of returning things....usually it is just easier to hop in the car drive a few minutes to the store and return the item, instead of shipping things back which often times cost substantial money unless the item is defective.

I totally agree with you vowel. Plus shipping things back,you get the pleasure of waiting in a ridiculously long line at the post office with only one clerk working,moving at a snail's pace.

Oh,I also walked through Sears the other day (parked there to enter the mall) and they STILL have that same shelf full of faded labeled SJ rated Syntec 5W50 for $10 a quart! My car is spec'd for SJ oil. Are they really trying to sell 20 year old oil for $10 a quart??

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Originally Posted By: Rand
First Time I've been in a kmart in ages.. and its the closest store to me at under half a mile.

Half mile from your house and rarely go in, sheeesh.
smirk.gif

You've missed out on a lot of good sales and clearances.
I just picked up a 5 qt jug of Smitty's HM synthetic blend for $8.94 this weekend.

All stores have their hassles. Target's bathrooms are Trans-gender friendly. Home Depot/Lowes and others demand drivers licenses for returns without receipts (which they dutifully enter into a data base).
Walmart won't discount damaged goods, Kmart will and sometimes a hefty one at that. Walmart clearances are typically a joke, they knock off a few bucks. Kmart often marks items down 50%.

Not to mention the Walmart freak show of humanity.

Shelves are 2/3 empty, employees stash good clearance in the back until end of shift. I know people who work there.

Haha that's one of my fave things about going to Walmart,it's got to be THEE best place to go "people watching"!! Free entertainment :p

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Haha that's one of my fave things about going to Walmart,it's got to be THEE best place to go "people watching"!! Free entertainment :p

Ugh, I can deal without Walmart and Kmart. I don't even know where a Kmart is.

There are still people that want to see and touch the product before the purchase. There will be retail stores to meet their needs, we'll see which stores those will be after the smoke clears.

The Sears around here is nice. It's clean and people are friendly, with some good deals when things are on sale. The Kmart on the other hand is always dirty. I can't understand why since there is never any cars in the parking lot.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
800 walmarts are closing to become fema camps... Uuuuuuuhh.
They are being moved to Venezuela where they will be the only stores with bathroom tissue.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Shelves are 2/3 empty, employees stash good clearance in the back until end of shift. I know people who work there.

Too bad.

All jokes aside, its not good for shoppers if Sears or Kmart go under, especially in the rural areas. Less competition is not healthy for any market.

I'd hate to be stuck with the likes of Walmart, Target, Bed Bugs and Beyond, etc. ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back