Another round of "change it now or later"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the I35 has 6 months/3500 miles on a 3 qt QSUD 5W30/1.5 qt M1 0W40 mix (top off). Car mainly does short trips daily ~10 miles. Can I finish out the summer or should I do an OC soon? Wouldn't be surprised if it needs a 1 qt top off by August if I keep the status quo.

Last edited:
Since you're on the east coast where I take it winter is tougher, I'd change it after summer. I have an 01 I30 with several oil reports where dino is fine @ 7k. Of course my commute is different. 46 highway miles with light traffic 5 days a week.

I'd probably wait it out. But, then shift to a plan where you run one grade from Nov-April and a summer grade from May-October. Your last oil change went went through Jan-March so it had a lot of shorter cold weather runs. You might even try a 5 month winter run and a 7 month summer run.

Short trips and winter are hard on oil. So yeah, I'd do two changes a year
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mclasser
So the I35 has 6 months/3500 miles on a 3 qt QSUD 5W30/1.5 qt M1 0W40 mix (top off). Car mainly does short trips daily ~10 miles. Can I finish out the summer or should I do an OC soon? Wouldn't be surprised if it needs a 1 qt top off by August if I keep the status quo.

Lots of advice but without knowing if you'll drive more than just the short trips of 10 miles for the rest of the summer, or another 1000 miles. If that's all it is, let it ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back