Is it okay to power wash a oily lawn mower engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a '97 Cub Cadet, with a Kolher OHV, the valve cover is leaking oil, got oil all over the cylinder cooling fins. Several years of buildup.

Planning on spraying on degreaser and power wash all over, will I need to do a oil change after gasket replacement?

Last edited:
No oil change id dirt dosen't fall in and you don't leave the valve cover off . An oil change is always good if the engine is close to oil change time.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I got a '97 Cub Cadet, with a Kolher OHV, the valve cover is leaking oil, got oil all over the cylinder cooling fins. Several years of buildup.

Planning on spraying on degreaser and power wash all over, will I need to do a oil change after gasket replacement?

Just use the degreaser and then switch cleaner (Alcohol) rather than a pressure washer. With some degreasers you won't really need to wash it off. That will save the need to do an oil change until it's due.

Last edited:
I did and it never started afterwards, even days later. I think it just needs more fuel added though it evaporates through the vent after a few weeks

Any time I take a carburetor or valve cover off, I always spray the grass/dirt/oil off with a hose and then blow dry it with pressurized air. I prefer clean surfaces and dirt not falling into the engine. Never a problem yet.

Oh, and change the gasket so it doesn't leak anymore.

I spray my rider with diluted Simple green then power wash it without any issues. Just use the lower powered nozzle and don't point it directely onto the carb intake area.

You could power wash it if you really have to, but these engines and all the associated electronics on the machine are not designed to be bombarded with high pressure water flow. I'd soak it with a degreaser of some sort, garden hose it off and let it dry in the sun or blow dry it with your leaf blower.

I never let my OPE engines/drivetrains get dirty. I blow them off with my leaf blower after each use and wipe them down with a rag when needed. I never add water to them if I don't have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back