Honda Brake Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I am sure that this has been discussed before, but I will ask anyhow. Has anyone researched the difference between Honda DOT 3 brake fluid and conventional DOT 3? According to the owners manual it says you can use a standard DOT 3 as a temporary replacement but must be changed out to the Honda stuff ASAP. That said, I get the fact DOT 3 standard is a "minimum" the brake fluid has to perform to, but does anyone know if the Honda stuff exceeds the DOT 3 standards? Such as extra additives? I

I wonder this too because my civic calls for only Honda dot 3 but another will work temporarily. I went ahead and bought the Honda dot 3 just for the sake of not worrying.

I just get two Honda Dot 3 containers from the Honda parts department when I am bleeding or doing brakes.

The Honda fluid seems to have some orange lubricant in it or something. I do a gentle end over end mix not a violent shake the day before use. That orange stuff seems to separate out.

I do it for the peace of mind, the 2$ savings really aren't worth the thought.

I use regular dot 3 in all my Hondas with no problems. I DO use Honda brand DW1 and power steering though.

Same here. I can only figure that you can't go wrong using what they want you to use since they made the thing

Same as any other DOT 3 nothing special just a little dye, they just want you to buy their friggin brake fluid. If you want to go with DOT 4 or 5.1 that's an upgrade.

The story I heard was that about 10 years ago a supplier produced faulty rubber brake seals for Toyota and Honda. Supposedly if you don't use Toyota or Honda fluid the seals could degrade. Who knows if it is true or not, and if true, which models and years it applies to.

I've changed and bled brake fluid on my Fit 3 times with Maxima DOT4 and Pentosin SuperDOT4, but I think it is newer than the defective seals, and maybe the fluids I use contain better lubricants, as expensive as they are.

I wonder if my 89 Accord had that requirement. I starting using Valvoline DOT 4 when the car was just a couple of years old. I used to change the fluid every 30K miles, as recommended in the OM. And, I used to have to replace the master cylinder about every 100K miles like clockwork. The pedal would eventually sink to the floor in hot weather due to, I suppose, am imperfect seal between the piston and cylinder in the master. I had the car for 350K miles and was on the fourth M/C. Makes me wonder if I had stuck with Honda fluid, or even regular DOT 3 if I would have had better luck.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Same as any other DOT 3 nothing special just a little dye, they just want you to buy their friggin brake fluid.

Yep. I've used various brands of DOT 3 in my Accord over the years. Still on the original hoses, calipers and MC at 200K miles.

I checked with 4 dealers about the Honda brake fluid....2 said it's a must and 2 said any DOT 3 is fine...
21.gif

But for Toyota..I have been using DOT 3 since 1983...no issues.

Silly question who makes Honda brake fliud. Mow many companies in the world make brake fluid? Probably as many as make motor oil additives.

I believe there IS a chemical difference between DOT3 and DOT4
fluids...and the DOT4 can shorten the life of certain MC seals on certain Japanese models usually pre year 2000 or so...

I believe all the Honda dealers use DOT3 only, never DOT4 at least on older models.

It doesn't have to be Honda branded, but it MUST be DOT3 only
no DOT3/4 or DOT3+ fluids.

Not true Honda has been specing DOT 4 for many years before 2000 in Europe and I guarantee you they are not making substandard seals just for the US market.
DOT 3 is the most common spec fluid in the USA (hence the spec) but harder to find in some European countries as it is a substandard fluid (low boiling point).
There are some vehicles that used DOT 2 fluid which is castor based and be damaged by glycol based DOT 3, 4 , 5.1 but you would have to me pretty old to remember the vehicles that used it.

Originally Posted By: CT8
All DOT brake fluids are compatible.

Not DOT 5 any anything else though. 3, 4, 5.1 should be compatible.

I've used a lot of the Valvoline DOT 3/4 in my Hondas with no issue.

Any DOT 3 or DOT 4 can be safely used in your Honda with no problems
smile.gif

The most important thing is that you change it every few years. Regular fluid changes are much more important than what fluid you actually use. Even Walmart DOT 3 is fine as you change it periodically.

Originally Posted By: CT8
All DOT brake fluids are compatible.

incorrect
3,4,5.1 are

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back