What truck would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dmax will have plenty of power. They like to eat injectors in the early range. Plan on over $200 x 8 plus labor.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Anyone have anything to say about 05-07 powerjo... er... powerstrokes? (6.0)

One website says for the 05 model year a lot of the issues were fixed so it's not as bad as 03/04. Anyone agree or disagree?

There are several 6.0s in that year range near me for $11,000 or less.

I owned an '04 and an '07 6.0 with never an issue with either with a combined 350,000 mi. there should be '06-'07 within your price range as the resale value of these were much lower than should have been. The '06/'07 model year 6.0's were the most trouble-free trucks produced per warranty claims. Before purchasing pickup an OBD (scangaugeII or similar) scanner and check oil temp to coolant temp, driving at 60 mph unloaded oil temp should be no more than 15F warmer, 15F is the limit to which Ford recommends changing the oil cooler. I had never seen any more than 11F towing. Another check is FICM voltage, should be 48 volts.

The 6.0 has many strong points, including the bottom end and the transmission. There were definitely some bad ones produced, although most were the early ones, and many were damaged due to tuners. A little homework and one of these will last.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Good to know. There were also a couple duramaxes in that price range from the early 2000s... those generally have significantly less power than a modern gas engine though. Complete waste of money IMO

hogwash.

Power / Torque: 300 bhp (220 kW) @ 3100 rpm / 520 lb·ft (705 N·m) @1800 rpm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duramax_V8_engine#LB7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKQZKSFGjWE

Maybe I saw WHP or something... I swear I recall seeing like 225HP/330LBft or something like that for early duramaxes.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Dmax will have plenty of power. They like to eat injectors in the early range. Plan on over $200 x 8 plus labor.

I would be amazed to find one that HADN'T had the injectors done by now.

I was looking at some Carfax reports on early 00s Dmaxes in the area, definitely seen injector replacement reported a lot.

Early dmax injectors are expected to last about 100k, so maybe they have been done but its right around the corner again. Makes the VP44 thing small potatoes.

I know what I was looking at... early cummins numbers

160HP? you kidding me? Even for the 90s that's horrible. 400LB ft doesn't mean anything with zero hp.

How bout the good old 7.3? Seeing plenty of those when I search. What were the problems with these?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
They're 20 years old and have 200,000+ miles?

Or they're less than 15 years old and it's kind of beside the point how many miles they have... after some reading it sounds like the trans is the weak point on the 7.3s

But again that's beside the point, I've been told time and time again the engines themselves are million mile engines easily as long as you take care of them. But like I said I've been reading and it sounds like the trans is the weak point, and there are places that will bulletproof the trans for you for $3000-4000.

Last edited:
Around here, the weak point is that most are rusted. Also, only the very-early 2003s had the 7.3 engine. The 6.doh was a mid-year switch.

You don't want it to "struggle" under a load that you might (might!) only do 3 or 4 times a year?

I get that a turbo-diesel is the way to go but if you are shaking your head at a potential $1k repair on a $10k vehicle then I'm not sure diesel is for you. Then again I'm not sure a used vehicle is either, as a transmission for anything likely costs more than $1k.

IMO a gas 3/4T. A gas 1/2T might eek out better mpg and should take cheaper tires, all other costs should be similar. MPG might even be similar, as a "worked" vehicle is going to burn as much fuel as necessary.

Originally Posted By: supton
You don't want it to "struggle" under a load that you might (might!) only do 3 or 4 times a year?

I get that a turbo-diesel is the way to go but if you are shaking your head at a potential $1k repair on a $10k vehicle then I'm not sure diesel is for you. Then again I'm not sure a used vehicle is either, as a transmission for anything likely costs more than $1k.

IMO a gas 3/4T. A gas 1/2T might eek out better mpg and should take cheaper tires, all other costs should be similar. MPG might even be similar, as a "worked" vehicle is going to burn as much fuel as necessary.

I'm worried about any 1/2T engines having the longevity. Take for example that new 6.2 on the GM trucks... that thing it not going to last pulling a load often.

I have not closely followed, but I thought 1/2T and 3/4T trucks used the same engine families. If anything the larger mills might wear out faster (longer stroke, higher loads on bearings).

Kinda moot though, wear out a motor and find a junkyard replacement for cheap. 10 year old and older trucks (due to the $10k cap) should have plenty of donor vehicles in the boneyards.

As a Toyota snob I wouldn't recommend a Tundra. I like mine and did buy mine because of the resale value--but that means higher purchase price, new or used. And on the used market I suspect it has higher repair costs, simply due to less units being sold. And as a used vehicle, reliability starts to become moot as the miles rack up, as everything wears out at some point. My "should never break" Toyota seized a brake caliper just a couple of weeks ago, despite low miles / age. [The 'web also indicates several Tundra faults, like front diff, power steering racks, oil leaks, water pumps.]

Plus, no 3/4T Tundra.

I know what I was looking at... early cummins numbers

160HP? you kidding me? Even for the 90s that's horrible. 400LB ft doesn't mean anything with zero hp.

How bout the good old 7.3? Seeing plenty of those when I search. What were the problems with these?

I wouldn't worry about lower ratings on a Cummins. They are just stock ratings. When my 02 had the pump code it ran on very low power. I could still drive it around and keep up with traffic. Before the pump issues it ran pretty strong as a stock truck and great power with just a smarty tuner. My 94 i bought after that was insanely powerful. Like 500hp+ just from some bigger turbo injectors and no fuel plate. It was out of control powerful.

Now, when i need to truck things around, i drive a cheap 190 hp gasoline Toyota T100. It gets the job done but i wouldn't tow much with it.

Originally Posted By: supton
I have not closely followed, but I thought 1/2T and 3/4T trucks used the same engine families. If anything the larger mills might wear out faster (longer stroke, higher loads on bearings).

Kinda moot though, wear out a motor and find a junkyard replacement for cheap. 10 year old and older trucks (due to the $10k cap) should have plenty of donor vehicles in the boneyards.

Hasn't been true for most trucks I've looked at. Ram only shares the 5.7 I believe. GM doesn't share any between the two categories. Don't care about ford so never looked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back