Fuel additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stumbled across a bottle of FPPF "Fuel Power" at the local Rural King the other day. Bought it on a whim, figured not much in a 5 dollar bottle of magic elixer, but likely no harm either. How much of an effect can there be at a recommended dose of 1 ounce per 25 gallons of gasoline, and 8 ounces treats 240 gallons of diesel?
A little MSDS search says it's 100% CAS 111-76-2,more commonly known as Butyl Cellusolve. A little more research, common in cleaners, a degreaser, emulsifier, printing ink and paint flow control, added to lacquer paint minimizes orange peel. Google tells me it's in a lot of fuel system cleaners, from Berryman 12 to high end and expensive diesel fuel conditioners.
Am I on to something here? A cheap fuel add that actually has a reputation for cleaning, and is traditionally low dosed in many fuel system cleaners? I don't know yet, I'm going to give a squeeze into the daily ride for the next few tanks and just see if a smoother idle, increased MPG, and all of my poor quality fuel symptoms disappear, because of course we know that happens to all of us, right? Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but half serious as well. Could it be a simple squirt of a common cleaner would keep deposits and moisture in fuel at bay?
BTW, a gallon of Butyl Cellusolve from a chemical company is about 21.00. That would be 128 tanks of fuel in my daily ride.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
The company linked below recommends NOT using E-10 additives containing chemicals similar to ethanol, implying that E-10 already has strong solvent ethanol, why would you want to add more?

Study this page, especially the bottom paragraphs. Butyl Cellusolve = Butoxyethanol. Maybe a chemist will chime in.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_additive_safe_with_e10_list.html

Yep, I already read that. Surprised at the claim that Ethanol is considered a strong solvent. Lots of evidence to the contrary with injector tips getting dirty in gassers. When eth started going in gasoline, (replacing MTBE, thanks California) it was a lesser of evils, and brought in as an oxygenate, not to clean, and prompted by seeing levels of MTBE in waterways. Ethanol also brings in water, and the reality of phase separation. Butyl Cellusolve apparently re-suspends the water in the fuel, and it's in almost every FI cleaner, or diesel fuel supplement I searched MSDS on. If it works, 21.00 a gallon is cheap, and there is certainly one supplement company making a boatload of money on it.

ALTERNATE COMMENTS
I just came across a bottle of FPPF "Fuel Power" at the local Rural King the other day. Bought it on a whim, figured not much in a 5 dollar bottle of magic elixer, but likely no harm either ??

UMM, impulse buying is treatable!
Cheap fuel additives can cause long term harm to the fuel system seals and even the sender unit. The issue is not the listed ingrediants, but the unlisted contaminants.

Am I on to something here? A cheap fuel add that actually has a reputation for cleaning, and is traditionally low dosed in many fuel system cleaners?

YES, you have just figure out how to waste a fiver!

Could it be a simple squirt of a common cleaner would keep deposits and moisture in fuel at bay?

It could be IF you use really nasty fuel loaded with water!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back