-40* pour test video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Video keeps popping up here like a bad penny.

You failed to add commentary, so what do YOU take out of it ?

5W oils tested at 0W temperatures is a bit disingenuous, when the actual 0Ws are available at nearly zero price difference.

Pour point ceased to be part of any "W" ranking some decades ago.

This is a good video, always has been.

Was a little surprised to see Royal Purple not do as well as the other two, I have heard it said that the Group 4 base stocks don't have as well cold flow ability.

If the oil moves like that in an engine, albeit in an upwardly direction via a pump or pick-up tube, then.. The principle is even more relevant since its harder to go up than to go down thanks to gravity. The oil in the pan is like jello in elasticity. Just how much so, is the question.

This proves nothing as a test. How does that reflect the same oil in a moving engine? The WM oil wouldnt cause any issues.

Nice hatchet job on the Walmart brand. 3 synthetics against WM ST conventional. So why didn't they use WM ST synthetic?

The 0w's get tested down here at -40C. So no surprise that some of the 5w's wouldn't flow perfectly.

-40 C = -40 F (they made it easy for us).

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice
Was a little surprised to see Royal Purple not do as well as the other two, I have heard it said that the Group 4 base stocks don't have as well cold flow ability.

You "heard" that GrIV don't have the cold flow ability ?

Where, and links would be great.

The only grade that Royal Purple SEEM to have a decent amount of GrIV in is the 0W40

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/wp-content/uploads/PS_API_MotorOIl.pdf

the 0W40 is half the CCS of the 0W20, and has 45F higher flash point that the 5W30

Thanks for making it clear guys. I find it sometimes irritating when here people say "OCI 5000" without specifying if it is miles or km and the same goes for temperature.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
This proves nothing as a test. How does that reflect the same oil in a moving engine? The WM oil wouldnt cause any issues.

I wouldn't want to try and pump that 5W-30 ST conventional in my car at -40C. At startup, in an engine just beginning to move, the ST conv is sub par for this temperature. I'll take the M1 5w-30 thank you.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I wouldn't want to try and pump that 5W-30 ST conventional in my car at -40C. At startup, in an engine just beginning to move, the ST conv is sub par for this temperature. I'll take the M1 5w-30 thank you.

...just buy a 0W something at those temperatures...that's what the freakin point of the "W" rating IS

Gelation - happens to all oils that have VII's given a long cooling period.

Walmart conventional has many VII's. Mobil, being synthetic, has fewer and still maintains the same viscosity ratings.

The test applies only to vehicles stored at -40*C. How many BITOG'ers go out and start their cars at -40*C without block heaters? Test needs to be conducted at your lowest operating temp...

At -10*C they all would have flowed well and reasonably quickly. Biased test beyond the low temp design of the fluid ... J300 for 5W is -30*C so this test is out of range
frown.gif

Gelation occurs in slow cooling and out of range temps - bad test
frown.gif

Last edited:
If this is the one where they turn oil bottles upside down it's almost worthless. They have to make air inlet holes in the bottles. I don't see any video but there was one like that.

It looks like Mobil was the clear winner of that "test." The question is what does it prove?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It looks like Mobil was the clear winner of that "test." The question is what does it prove?

PQIA 30 grade syns

I think all it proves is that at -40C, in their test environment, M1 easily out-poured (out flowed?) the other brands. It also shows that at a particular cold temperature, the same grade synthetic typically pours better than the same grade conventional, a major reason why many of of us in cold climates run a synthetic.

Looking at the -30c viscosities, M1 5w-30 is considerably lower than all the others. So the "test" went as expected. One single parameter tested at one temperature. Interesting that on M1's website the M1 5w-30 HM pour point is -39c. This easily poured at -40c with room to spare. Amsoil's website says their 5w-30 pours at under -50c (which is down where the 0w's typically live). Royal Purple doesn't list pour specs.

Havoline syn, PU, and Formula Shell syn also have low -30c visc ratings similar to M1 5w-30. If I lived in a much colder climate that occasionally went down to -40c, I'd be fine with the 5W-30 M1, maybe even the Amsoil,...but not those other 2 in the video. And sure, you can run a 0w to make is simpler.

I don't know about anyone else, but I never poke a hole in the top of my oil quarts when adding them to the engine to help them flow out quickly. And doing it at -40c probably would have even less of an effect.

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice
This is a good video, always has been.

Starburst RP is not predominantly group 4 no matter what their tech line bozo says. Most group 4 have excellent cold flow - all depend on grade and winter rating.

Last edited:
The m1 bottle has a bigger opening.
the amsoil has a long neck.

they should have frozen the oil in 4 identical containers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back