Valvoline Maxlife FULL Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a lot of good things about Maxlife (syn-blend) when it comes to oil burners and leakers. But, I'm wondering how the full syn version of maxlife stacks up against oils like PPHM overall....not just in seal treatment. (There sure doesn't seem to be much of a following on here as compared to PP and M1...unless we're talking burner/leaker/seeper.)

I didn't try any full-synthetic HM but Maxlife, I have Maxlife full synthetic 10W30 in my S2000 now. The engine is running a little smoother than PP 10W30.

Maxlife Full Synthetic is at the top of the viscosity index and Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage is the the bottom of the viscosity index. PPHM is actually more thin than regular PP.

We have PPHM 5w30 running in a Tacoma 3.4L and a CX-9 3.7L right now and both seem fine in 100°f climbing the foothills where we live. No oil loss during the current OCI's.

Well, I'm going to switch from M1HM to another HM in one car. So, it will either be PPHM or Maxlife full-syn--(5w-30)--I know both are still overkill for my app, but curious about the V (don't see much data) and why it's not talked about the way PP is.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Maxlife Full Synthetic is at the top of the viscosity index and Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage is the the bottom of the viscosity index. PPHM is actually more thin than regular PP.

Good to know--thanks

I'm sure you will find it to be a very robust oil and do your car just fine. Please report back after say 5,000 miles
laugh.gif

Holy cow... 344k on a 97 Camry! My lady has 98k on her 98 Camry. Ton of life left in that badboy.

Valvoline Maxlife is a very good oil. It meets good spec's like Dexos, ACEA A5. Stout oil.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I didn't try any full-synthetic HM but Maxlife, I have Maxlife full synthetic 10W30 in my S2000 now. The engine is running a little smoother than PP 10W30.

Same switch from pp to valvoline, same experience. It has a nice noack in the 6's, and I have seen that the uoa show it is the anti-m1=low Fe count.

the real question is why leave m1?

Yeah im not a valvoline boy but maxlife syn is A OK with me. If you feel the need for a Moly shot add Lubegard Biotech or Liquimoly MOS2 of about 3 ounces.

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee that has leaked at the rear main seal for years and recently did a 4,300 mile run with Valvoline Max Life Full Syn, the current fill is Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage and I know it's nothing scientific but the oil spots on my garage floor are considerably smaller with the Pennzoil (both 10W 30).
TOTO.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Holy cow... 344k on a 97 Camry! My lady has 98k on her 98 Camry. Ton of life left in that badboy.

Valvoline Maxlife is a very good oil. It meets good spec's like Dexos, ACEA A5. Stout oil.

Yep, they are reliable cars.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik

Same switch from pp to valvoline, same experience. It has a nice noack in the 6's, and I have seen that the uoa show it is the anti-m1=low Fe count.

the real question is why leave m1?

S2000 is hard on oil especially when you rev it to 8000 RPM regularly, on highway it is above 4000-4500 RPM most of the time, PP 10W30 sheared down to 20 weight in about 5k miles.

Maxlife 10W30 with good low NOACK of 6.xx is probably better for the S2000.

I think 10W40 is too thick, it may rob some power from the small engine, I may mix 1 or 2 quarts 10W40 with the rest 10W30 next oil change.

Maxlife 10W30 with good low NOACK of 6.xx is probably better for the S2000.

Don't forget pp has 4.7%, but Valvoline starts out about 1st thicker.

.[/quote]

the real question is why leave m1? [/quote]

Well, I have a leaker getting progressively worse on M1HM. It's not a big deal to me, but thought I'd try something different. However, because the leaking is not a concern, I'd didn't want this thread to be about seals, leaks, etc.. I am really just curious about the full-syn maxlife and why it's not discussed as much as PPHM or M1HM.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch

We have PPHM 5w30 running in a Tacoma 3.4L and a CX-9 3.7L right now and both seem fine in 100°f climbing the foothills where we live. No oil loss during the current OCI's.

Well, How does FULL SYN Maxlife compare to M1HM in thickness? ....in 10w30?

I have PPHM in the Accord right now. Not much info available on it it seems. VML syn is Valvoline's best oil. I'm going to run it in my Infiniti during the next OCI.

I am thinking about trying Maxlife full syn in my Jag V12. I am currently using 10 quarts of Mobil 1 0W40... No leaks and i want to keep it that way. Lol. It runs great but would like to try something else. Hopefully Maxlife full syn comes in 5W40...

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I am thinking about trying Maxlife full syn in my Jag V12. I am currently using 10 quarts of Mobil 1 0W40... No leaks and i want to keep it that way. Lol. It runs great but would like to try something else. Hopefully Maxlife full syn comes in 5W40...

Maxlfe ful-syn has 10W40 but not 5W40.

Originally Posted By: lukejo
Well, I'm going to switch from M1HM to another HM in one car. So, it will either be PPHM or Maxlife full-syn--(5w-30)--I know both are still overkill for my app, but curious about the V (don't see much data) and why it's not talked about the way PP is.

I have used Maxlife semi syn and the full syn. Both very good oils but I ended up going with M1 HM and that has been a better oil for me. Why not stay with the M1 HM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back