Brutal: High Heat & Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will take snow over hot temps (88+) anytime, here in Southern Lower Michigan.
Humidity levels here make the real-feel temps a-lot higher than the degrees numbers display.

We're going to get boned on Monday.
Transformers exploded last time this kind of heatwave came around, and nothing's as bad as trying to sleep with no power/no A/C when you've had it up until now.

hqdefault.jpg

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I remember the news bought one of those thermometers last year and they showed the sidewalk here in Phoenix was like 175-180 degrees.

that's hot enough to fry an egg on the side walk!!

Originally Posted By: spackard
Transformers exploded last time this kind of heatwave came around, and nothing's as bad as trying to sleep with no power/no A/C when you've had it up until now.

hqdefault.jpg

A little Honda/Yamaha generator and a small window units does wonders when the power goes out.

If the power went out at my house, I'd be in my car over to my grandmother's house or my mom's house. There's no way I'd be in a hot house.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: spackard
A little Honda/Yamaha generator and a small window units does wonders when the power goes out.

Luckily the scheduled power outage in my area is tomorrow Thursday June-16. Tomorrow high will be around mid 70 F, just open windows tonight to cool down the house so tomorrow will be bearable.

So far this year I had A/C ran about 20-30 minutes, last year I didn't have A/C on until late July early August.

Last edited:
NOT looking forward to 120 this weekend, luckily power is reliable until some idiot comes along...

I remember the news bought one of those thermometers last year and they showed the sidewalk here in Phoenix was like 175-180 degrees.

I did that a few years ago on a steel man-hole cover in the street. Didn't cook as fast as I thought it would, but it definitely cooked.

If I have time this weekend I might bake cookies in my car. Supposed to be 120 or so.

Very interesting, i had not heard of that one, so i googled and found some instructions. I may try that myself, thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Too funny!

"Now that thar rock has some thermal mass and perfect solar alignment!"

Last edited:
Bring on the heat, then the rain, then the snow. What else can we do but endure. LOL

My central ac unit has been out for a couple weeks, I have someone coming out today. I'm sure i'm low on freon or I need a new one.

One 10k btu window unit(i keep for emergencies) in the Kitchen/living room area and a bunch of fans!

One thing we can always count on at BITOG: the biannual exchange of "suffer!" between the northerners and the southerners. And, that guy in southern California jabbing us from the "always comfortable zone".

1869811075-Heat-wave1.jpg
b02-desnow-10-4_3.jpg

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
One thing we can always count on at BITOG: the biannual exchange of "suffer!" between the northerners and the southerners. And, that guy in southern California jabbing us from the "always comfortable zone".

1869811075-Heat-wave1.jpg
b02-desnow-10-4_3.jpg

Of 1000 things 99% of them are bad in So Cal such as: high cost of living, expensive gas, idiot government, earth quake(5.xx last week), wild fires ... The only 1 thing we have better is weather, that why we like to talk about it (and brag about it too).

Yes, we will have 98-102 this Sunday and Monday but it will cool down to 80's on Tuesday and 70's in Wednesday.
grin2.gif

I like 95 to 100*F if it is low, low humidity. Watch the jet stream for the weather changes.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Humidity levels here make the real-feel temps a-lot higher than the degrees numbers display.
This is me as well. The humidity is just awful.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

We may have few days a year of 90+ temperature but relative humidity is usually low during those hot days. Even today we have mid 70's but less than 40-45% relative humidity so it is very comfortable.

We usually have higher humidity during winter rain, but at that time the temperature is usually in the low to mid 60's, so it isn't bad at all.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

We may have few days a year of 90+ temperature but relative humidity is usually low during those hot days. Even today we have mid 70's but less than 40-45% relative humidity so it is very comfortable.

We usually have higher humidity during winter rain, but at that time the temperature is usually in the low to mid 60's, so it isn't bad at all.
40-50% relative humidity would be fine for me with those temps. Unfortunately we get the awfully high humidity levels along with the hot temps and its just nasty outside.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
As far as the temp of the Sun itself: I remember reading in Niven & Pournelle's Lucifer's Hammer years ago that a human being pumps out more heat per square inch of his body surface than does a square inch of the Sun. (However, there are a great many square inches of Sun --)

Geesh....somehow that doesn't help me think "COOL"!

You do indeed live in "a swamp". That's coon-[censored] country. I do love the food and some of the music, but I grew up in Houston and La. is even worse! In your neck-o-da-woods, ICE is the true perishable quantity!

My Austrian genes keep calling me to move North in latitude and high in elevation. Trade my year round lawn mowing for skis, wine, bread, cheese, cold cuts & chocolate!

Ah, the Alpine Life. At my age, I could use an extra pint....

PROSIT!

You hip/hop/flip/flop/Cali-types need to bug off my thread!
grin.gif

Don't know the definition of heat & humidity!
07.gif

Geeze Louise......

SETX has same temps and even higher humidity than Cen-TX, but right now it flooding is the issue. Several feet of rainfall so far this year and some communities completely submerged. Yes, I said "completely submerged".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back