Arizonian and DT

Status
Not open for further replies.
My stepmom just got back from DT and she purchased their Arizonian store brand tires. Are these made by Cooper? Has anyone used these before? If so what are your opinions? She says she paid around $80 a piece for them.

I thought it was strange only because she is a die hard Michelin customer, so I'm assuming the DT guy sold her hard on the Arizonian.

I had a set, they were Cooper made and as with most private label Cooper tires they were a good value.

Not sure if all Arizonian tires are Cooper made though.

The original design was made by Kelly Springfield. But the last few years and the recent design is made the Cooper. It is pretty close to a CS3.

The real answer will come from the DOT code. The first two digits are the plant code and will tell you exactly who made them.

Just an FYI:

Private brand tires - like the Arizonian - come in a variety of flavors:

a) Brands and/or lines owned by the tire manufacturer. Some tire manufacturers will produce a line of tires that they sell to dealers at a reduced price. There is no advertising associated with them. Sometimes it's a common brand, but the line is unique to the outlet (dealer or distributor). Sometimes these are off brand names, but otherwise identical to a name brand, advertised product - and sometimes they are completely different. There's no way to be sure, but the UTQG rating might be a clue.

b) Brands owned by a distributor or dealer. The Arizonian is one of those. They can be produced by anyone and not only can that change from time to time, but it is possible for otherwise identically named different tires to be produced by different manufacturers - for example, the P type sizes produced by one manufacturer and the LT's by someone else.

The problem in both cases is that one can not be sure how closely the tire is to a name brand product. It could be anywhere and anything. The UTQG rating may be helpful, but they are no guarantee. Plus, the quality levels - ie balance, uniformity, appearance - could be completely different as well.

Thanks CapriRacer,

I didn't have very high regards to house brand tires, I would rather pay a little more for national brands such as Kumho, Falken ...

If someone plan to buy a set of tire during sale, better tires can be bought for less than house brand tires.

What's it matter if she already bought them? I don't how how much she drives, but if it's not much the Michelin tires would dry rot before they wore out. She saved a ton of money by buying the Arizonian tires.

Originally Posted By: CKN
What's it matter if she already bought them? I don't how how much she drives, but if it's not much the Michelin tires would dry rot before they wore out. She saved a ton of money by buying the Arizonian tires.

Didn't say it mattered.. I was the one who was curious. I was purely wanting to pick the collective brains of BITOG.

Plus when you ask questions you can occasionally get great answers, like above from CapriRacer, and I'm all about learning something new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: geekster
My stepmom just got back from DT and she purchased their Arizonian store brand tires. Are these made by Cooper? Has anyone used these before? If so what are your opinions? She says she paid around $80 a piece for them.

I thought it was strange only because she is a die hard Michelin customer, so I'm assuming the DT guy sold her hard on the Arizonian.
Originally Posted By: CKN

She bought it so it doesn't matter for her. But Arizonian isn't a good tire and at $80/ea isn't a good price either, if the size she bought is 205/60-16. I bought Kumho TA71 in that size for $72/ea plus tax, installation/balance, dispose old tires for $390 total.

After rebates (bought the tires on Memorial Day) it will cost me either $255 or $195 depends on if I will get Kumho rebate of $60 or not.

It does matter for others, how and when to buy tires is critical if you want to save some money.

65,000 Miles
Treadwear 580
Traction A
Temperature B

Looks like a decent tire to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back