A320neo series

Status
Not open for further replies.
They look like an amazing jet. Quiet as heck and she leaps off the runway and climbs like a banshee. I'm not sure what take off weight was, no where near MTOW but that's very impressive. Those geared turbo fans have a nice sound to them.

Makes me almost want to switch camps....
27.gif

It's a hibrid between a turboprop and a turbofan, right. Kind of a turboprop inside a funyl cowl ...

What would be the gear ratio between the core and the fan? 11 to 1? And the bypass ratio in one of those?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pontual
It's a hibrid between a turboprop and a turbofan, right. Kind of a turboprop inside a funyl cowl ...

What would be the gear ratio between the core and the fan? 11 to 1? And the bypass ratio in one of those?

I'm not sure, I have something new to learn!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Is that a Rolls Royce engine ?

Pratt and Whitney.

This Pratt engine is unique in that it has the 1st stage fan driven independently of the booster spool.

In a conventional jet engine the low pressure compressor (stage 1 fan, stage 2-4 low pressure compressor (booster)) are directly connected to the low pressure turbine by a midshaft. The high pressure compressor is bolted directly to the high pressure turbine and spins at a much higher speed than does the low pressure compressor.

On the Pratt 1000G series engine, the booster is still connected to the low pressure turbine by a shaft and the high pressure compressor is still bolted directly to the high pressure turbine but the stage 1 fan spins independently of everything else. The fan is still driven by the low pressure compressor but it is done through a gearbox which allows the fan to pass a much greater amount of air.

It's a very fascinating idea and hopefully will prove to be a new design picked up by other companies.

As I think I mentioned in another thread, the 320 NEO has a lot of orders.

It looks to be a very good single aisle airplane and the NEO includes wing improvements as well...

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geared_turbofan

GTFs are definitely a big leap forward in low altitude SFC.

Narrowbody wars are getting interesting. Between the 737MAX and the A319/20/21NEOs and now Delta turned everything upside down with their big Bombardier C series order.

I've been secretly rooting for the Bombardier C series, neat little jet that's most likely leaps and bounds over the flying AD. I'm hoping Boeing puts some sound deadening in the MAX cockpit. Those are coming in next year.

Very neat engines. Glad new technology is making it into mainstream service. Lufthansa is reporting up to 18% fuel savings on some of its routes versus current generation A320s, beating the 15% that was advertised.

In laymen's terms, the N1 fan is bigger and turns slower, which makes it more efficient. Then the core is smaller and turns faster, which also makes it more efficient. This is compared to current generation engines.

The gearbox is what makes this possible. It sits between the core and the fan. Its not a big ratio, like 3 to 1 or close to that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_PW1000G

The geared fan allows the fan to spin at its optimal speed and its turbine to spin at its optimal speed. A traditional turbofan's fan limits its turbine speed to match the fan speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back