'99 Trans Am LS1 oil recommendation (Phoenix)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for advice on an "ideal" motor oil for my car and climate.

Car- 1999 Pontiac Trans Am LS1 V8 (stock)
Factory Rec- 5W-30
Location- Phoenix, AZ
Drive style- Moderate
Drive amount- Infrequent, mainly weekends around town or a few times a year to drag strip. I'd estimate less than 5k miles per year.
Issues- Recently purchased car used with 45k miles. Previous original owner used Mobil 1 10W-30 since new. Car has been living in the Los Angeles area since new.

Preference- Full synthetic, cost is not a major concern. Just looking for brand and viscosity recs for type of engine and climate. Right now looking at Amsoil Z-ROD 10W-30. Have also heard the Amsoil European 5W-40 is a good oil for LS1, but looking for additional feedback.

Thanks!

I run Mobil 1 10W-30 in my WS6 Heads and Cam car. Don't run the Stick with what is in it, it is fine. I also put 6 quarts in mine. Lots of other owners do too.

Infact I run Mobil 1 10W-30 in my 6.0 truck and 5W-30 in the 6.0 Caprice.

All LSx engines.

Welcome to the board...Nice to see another LSx Trans Am here.
Pictures man!

Last edited:
My LS1 had a tick with Mobil 1. Conventional Chevron Supreme cured it. Never touched Mobil 1 for the last 16 years and never will.

Originally Posted By: CPM10V
Preference- Full synthetic

Don't focus solely on base stocks, especially when what can be considered "full synthetic" depends on your country/location; look at certifications & approvals.

For these engines, my routine has been is this.

1. Kreen: http://www.kanolabs.com/engCle.html

Purchase one quart can ($15). Half in gas, half in oil. Run for 500-1000 miles. Do an oil change at this point. I'll add that this is a one-time usage/expenditure cleaning cycle.

(My goal here is to start with an engine that's as clean as possible internally, and achieve zero oil added during the oil change interval. So far, I've been successful.)

2. Inexpensive dexos1 oil. Currently, these three (5w-30) are available at Walmart in 5-quart jugs:

Castrol Magnatec
Valvoline MaxLife
Pennzoil Gold

http://www.pceo.com/key-specs/OEM/gm

It's a tough test, and more than enough for a stock LS1; additionally, it's only going to get tougher when 2nd generation of dexos1 goes first available use on January 1, 2017.

3. Change according to the oil life monitor.

Its a roller cam. I don't see Z-Rod being needed.

In that application I would run QSUD 10W30 as I like high moly in the non-DI LSx.

I've probably read blogs for dozens of hours looking for opinions on the the fluids for the LS1 drive train. Any quality 5W-30 synthetic is probably fine. You can also use 0w/5w-40 oils as well, and strong 0w-30's. A lot of LS1 enthusiasts are using 0w-40 on their 1998-2002 LS1's.

I think the 5/10w-30 PP/QS products are a tad weak on the operating viscosity/HTHS compared to the 5w-30 M1 or Castrol, and the "near" 40 grades. I used the 5w-30 M1 for a few years and now am using the 0w-40 M1. I also have some PP SRT 0w-40 and PPE 5w-40 I will used down the road. Most or all of these Pennzoil/M1 40 grade products sheer down within 500-1500 miles to strong 30 grade. In your very hot summer weather I'd probably lean towards the 40 grades for an extra bit of high temperature protection.

I have no problem with your choice of a 10w-30 grade either as it will probably stay in grade longer than 0w. No need for an extra cost boutique oil on a stock engine driven moderately. M1, PP/PU, Castrol Edge, and other brands offer a quality synthetic oil at budget prices (ie $2/qt net after rebates). Can't beat a $20 oil change on top synthetics.

You can check out LS1 oil threads on LS1tech.com until you're blue in the face. I've already read them all. After the oil, you can decide what's the best trans fluid for your Trans Am.

Probably has a slightly bent pushrod or one of the injectors is ticking.

Mine did both and still put 350hp to the wheels.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
My LS1 had a tick with Mobil 1. Conventional Chevron Supreme cured it. Never touched Mobil 1 for the last 16 years and never will.

Them boys up above had a nice M1 party going until you ruined it!
lol.gif

I used mobil 1 5w30. Though any name brand 30 weight should be just fine.

Or even move up to a 40 weight if you feel you are rough on it.

My LS1 has been on M1 for 17 years, and no ticks or anything. Fwiw, the M1 0w-40 is a completely different formulation than the magnesium add packs used in the lower grade M1's. Today, M1 0w-40 has more in common with PP/PUP/Castrol Edge than it does with the lower grade M1 products. And M1 has changed its additive's formulation multiple times over the years (ie higher magnesium, no magnesium, etc.). Fwiw, QS still gets blamed for a sludging up engines from incidents over 25-30 years ago. The old myths are hard to change.

My 99 T/A is also stock. Went from Mobil-1 to Pennzoil Platinum to running QSUD. With each change in brand, the engine got quieter. Only use 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741

That was my experience as well other than I was running it in a 1998 chevy truck with the 5.7L and a 1998 Grand Prix GT with the 3800.

The truck had an actual tick using Mobil 1 and the engine in the Grand Prix was just nosier, a lot of valve train noise. Both vehicles were bought new and had low mileage at that time.

I also switched both of them to Chevron Supreme conventional oil and both engines went back to sounding normal.

I have not used Mobil 1 since and won't again.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: CPM10V
Thanks for all the response! Anyone have an opinion on the Amsoil OW-40 vs M1 OW-40?

2 totally different price points. How much are you looking to spend per quart? If you want the best, you should really check out Driven LS30. Either way, M1 0W-40 is extremely popular with the LS engine, but it is not the same as it once was, and it no longer carries LL-01 approval, which is probably the hardest oil certification test out there now.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
If you want the best, you should really check out Driven LS30.

How have you determined that it's the best for a stock LS1?

The stuff carries no industry approvals/certifications (so you're merely taking their word for it...), and per their own ad copy, is merely a mPAO 5w-30 spiked with zinc.

LL-01 approval, which is probably the hardest oil certification test out there now.

Specifically, what about it has changed to warrant this statement?

I'd love to see data/evidence supporting the position that a stock LS in anything resembling normal usage needs something beyond a dexos1 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
If you want the best, you should really check out Driven LS30.

How have you determined that it's the best for a stock LS1?

The stuff carries no industry approvals/certifications (so you're merely taking their word for it...), and per their own ad copy, is merely a mPAO 5w-30 spiked with zinc.

LL-01 approval, which is probably the hardest oil certification test out there now.

Specifically, what about it has changed to warrant this statement?

I'd love to see data/evidence supporting the position that a stock LS in anything resembling normal usage needs something beyond a dexos1 5w-30.

You are correct, it has no certifications. Driven (Joe Gibbs Racing) is not in the business of that. What I do know is that they utilize probably one of the best base stocks out there, mPAO, the same base oil they use in their XP line of racing oils. I don't know of any other company using that as the primary base oil. Sub 6% NOACK, no need for VIIs, etc. They have an incredible reputation with just about any product they sell (check out DT40's reputation on the Rennlist forums). They know the LS engine better than probably any oil company.

And of course no engine needs a particular certification, per se, it's a sliding scale, not binary. I'm sure my BMWs would start right up and get me to work on yellow-bottle Pennzoil.

The updated LL-01 certification incorporates a new N20 engine test, which is regarded as the toughest amongst the euro carmakers.

I have no affiliation with Driven, I don't use their products, I just know they are held in high regard with users. They aren't as well known as the other oil giants, so I thought I would bring them to the OP's attention so he can do his own research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back