Identifying Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
09 Tundra...new to me. Noticed the coolant is really low.

Coolant color is orange. I was hoping to just drain via drain valve a few times.

What type of fluid is it and more importantly, should I stick with it or go with the Zerex? Thought I read, not suppose to mix colors? If I did multiple drains in over 2 days, would that take care of it?

Don't worry about matching what's in it now. Replace it with Toyota Super Long Life pink 50/50 from the dealer. Zerex Asian is supposed to be close, but the Toyota pink is what came with it from the factory and is not expensive nor hard to find.

Originally Posted By: coopns
09 Tundra...new to me. Noticed the coolant is really low.

Coolant color is orange. I was hoping to just drain via drain valve a few times.

What type of fluid is it and more importantly, should I stick with it or go with the Zerex? Thought I read, not suppose to mix colors? If I did multiple drains in over 2 days, would that take care of it?

How much did you lose and in what distance was it lost ??

Have you checked the dipstick for Coffee cream or Mayo ??

I would visit the dealer to find out what was used and in what mix if possible, otherwise just use off the shelf universal coolant as it's out of warranty I presume.

I would flush the entire system w distilled and then use OEM coolant. You will be good for the next 5 years as long as its not leaking. Orange most likely Dexcool.

Orange is not Toyota. If it's really low I'd top it off with a universal coolant like Peak Global and then do your research of how to go about changing it back to Pink Toyota (or Zerex Asian if it's easier to find, it's what I use in my Tacoma).

Using a 50/50 mix as a flush is going to waste a lot of coolant. Personally I would flush with distilled and fill up with G-05 since it's available in full concentrate, but if OEM is important to you, I would go with Toyota red since it's also available in full concentrate.

The Toyota red/pink can look orange after a few years especially in the overflow bottle. I did my first flush on mine after 160k miles and it looked orange, but since I knew it had never been changed it had to be the factory coolant.

For whatever reason Toyota incorporated the overflow bottle into the fan shroud and it's not 100% sealed. I drain and fill my overflow bottle every oil change to get the dirt out now.

The coolant overflow bottle is open to the atmosphere, otherwise it wouldn't function. Drain the cooling system, flush a couple of gallons of distilled water through the system and then fill with Zerex Asian Vehicle coolant which is about $14.00 a gallon now.

If the statement above, "The coolant overflow bottle is open to the atmosphere..." is true then Dex-Cool is NOT to be in there.

If it's orange and you can't discern if it's aged Toyota coolant you GOTTA do a flush job and get it to clean.
Dex-Cool and air don't jibe.

Go Toyota coolant because that's what I'd do and for no other reason. Kira

I think it's old OEM rather than DexCool. I doubt the orange is DexCool as while someone might add some, few would change out the coolant for DexCool.

I would do a drain and fill of radiator using Zerex Asian. Maybe another I'm 6 months.

Keep your eye on coolant level to see if your loosing any.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I would flush the entire system w distilled and then use OEM coolant. You will be good for the next 5 years as long as its not leaking. Orange most likely Dexcool.

Yep, this.

AF color is a very unreliable indicator of coolant type and chemistry, especially so in a vehicle with unknown system maintenance.

09 Tundra would spec an Asian P-HOAT. Toyota SLL pink would be the OEM option, Zerex Asian Formula would be an aftermarket option. Unfortunately those both come only as premix which means if you desire to get all the old AF out(I would) with a distilled water flush series, you'll be wasting new AF with more radiator d&f's to reach a 50% AF concentration.

One full strength PHOAT option is Pep Boys, OEM Concentrate, Extended Life, Radiator Antifreeze Coolant, Pink 86-174POEM. It's ~$22/gal with store pick up, or $23/gal ship to your door thru Pep Boys on ebay. Might sound a bit high but it is equal to 2 gallons of a premix. And with the concentrate, after the distilled flush you can just add half the system capacity with AF and top with distilled to full. No waste and no need to test AF concentration after each d&f.

Another full strength option is Peak Global Lifetime available from some NAPAs. Currently running it in a Tacoma for several years now, and working fine.

I would not use DexCool or any universal dexclone in the Tundra, even with a complete flush.

best way to identify it is to take a coolant tester and suck out a few ounces and then mix it with any/all coolant you have around the house and check for any adverse reaction (gumming, gelling, clouding, foaming, heating, etc)

and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back