Spray wax, detailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a person who uses a spray/quick wax or detail spray after I wash my vehicles. I use a good car shampoo, and apply a paint sealant or good wax a few times a year.

Recently I clayed my Jeep and applied a paint sealant. My question is this: lets say I use a spray wax or detailer to maintain the shine, and in a month I decide I want to apply another coat of paint sealant. What effect does the spray wax or quick detailer have? Do I have to clay the car again? Or use Dawn dish soap to remove the spray wax or detailing product? Or will a good car soap and re-application of the paint sealer be OK? Thanks!

Griot's suggests using their speed shine as you dry to help prevent spots and then following up with one of their waxes. It has been working well so far.

Last edited:
I use Turtle Wax twice a year. In between waxing I use Mothers Instant Detailer once a month or so. Works great, it can be applied in direct sunlight too.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
I use Turtle Wax twice a year. In between waxing I use Mothers Instant Detailer once a month or so. Works great, it can be applied in direct sunlight too.

Does it leave anything behind that might have an effect on a wax or sealant bonding at a later date?

I generally use Duragloss products and when I apply their sealants (usually 105) I use their spray wax in conjunction with the sealant. I give a light spray to the panel and it makes the application of the sealant even easier and makes the shine even deeper and maybe a bit more durable. A spray wax is a synthetic sealant, and in most cases a spray is compatible with the sealant. I wouldn't go to great lengths to remove the spray beforehand. In fact most are only durable for a couple of weeks anyway.

Clay is used, as you know, to remove "bonded above surface contaminates" before cleaning, polishing, other prep and LSPs.
No need to re-clay between quick wax, quick detailer and LSP applications if contaminates have yet to reappear imho.

My friends with Jeeps look like they're straight from Moab and never get washed...so good on you!

Originally Posted By: splinter

My friends with Jeeps look like they're straight from Moab and never get washed...so good on you!

Thanks-I try and keep my vehicles clean and looking new as long as possible.

Turtle wax old school green can is all you need. Those spray on lazy wax jobs don't last and are a waste of money. They don't protect better than good ol' Turtle wax anyway.

slomo

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Not a fan of spray wax either.. Id rather clay and wax twice a year and do regular washes.

That's basically what I've been doing, waxing 3-4 times a year with something like Menerna Power Lock Sealant, Collinite 845, or 476S. I was wondering if a quick detail or quick wax between coats was beneficial and if any prep work would be needed to go back to a paint sealant or a good wax after one of the quick products was applied.

I use Power Lock as well. If I feel the need apply a spray product between my bi-annual application of sealant I use Menzerna Paint Refresh with the thought that they should be compatible because I also worry about something I apply negatively affecting the sealant's ability to bond with the clear and defeat its purpose.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
I use Power Lock as well. If I feel the need apply a spray product between my bi-annual application of sealant I use Menzerna Paint Refresh with the thought that they should be compatible because I also worry about something I apply negatively affecting the sealant's ability to bond with the clear and defeat its purpose.

Good idea, there's a product I never knew about. Thanks.

I have found that a wipe-down with a spray sealant (such as Meguiars D156) after each wash allows you to wipe off any streaks that were leftover from drying the car. This allows for a better shine, and the spray sealant also adds a a bit of extra gloss and slickness.

Lately, I have been washing cars with Optimum No Rinse. After washing a panel, I would spray one-spray of Opti-Seal onto the panel, then proceed with drying. This seems to produce the same results as wiping down the entire car with a spray sealant, but in less time.

But from a protection standpoint, most of these spray sealant products only offer a month or two of durability...in perfect conditions. Realistically, they probably offer some protection until the next wash.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I have found that a wipe-down with a spray sealant (such as Meguiars D156) after each wash allows you to wipe off any streaks that were leftover from drying the car. This allows for a better shine, and the spray sealant also adds a a bit of extra gloss and slickness.

Lately, I have been washing cars with Optimum No Rinse. After washing a panel, I would spray one-spray of Opti-Seal onto the panel, then proceed with drying. This seems to produce the same results as wiping down the entire car with a spray sealant, but in less time.

But from a protection standpoint, most of these spray sealant products only offer a month or two of durability...in perfect conditions. Realistically, they probably offer some protection until the next wash.

Thanks for the info. Lets say two weeks into that month I decide to wash the car and apply another coat of sealant or a good wax. In your expert opinion does that "quick" wax or detailer you used in between have any negative impact with the wax or sealant bonding? Should I use dish soap instead of a good car soap?

What I try to do is layer coats of wax, like 845, or sealant like Menzerna during the year of the year so I have a few coats on before winter sets in. I was considering one of the quick products to keep things looking good between coats. Occasionally I get a bust of enthusiasm and shortly after a wash wax or sealant application I might to decide to apply another coat of the good stuff. I was afraid if I used a quick product prior I might have problems.

I use Sonax's Polymer Net Shield, and QD after washing with their Brilliant Shine quick detailer. The combo weeks to work very well on the lighter colored cars we have presently. When I had a black car, I really liked the look of Meguiar's Gold Class a lot. It had an excellent deep gloss that the Sonax stuff doesn't...but didn't repel water like the Sonax stuff.

--Matt

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Does it leave anything behind that might have an effect on a wax or sealant bonding at a later date?

Not that I have found. I have been using it for several years with no issues. It seems to help the coats of wax last a little longer as well.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Not that I have found. I have been using it for several years with no issues. It seems to help the coats of wax last a little longer as well.

Thanks MuzzleFlash, that was the answer I was looking for.

I rather prefer Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax or the professional equivalent D156. Goes on easy, especially if used like a wax-as-you-dry, leaves a great shine and lasts surprisingly long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back